Help sorting water from oil at oil well

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jacobsk

Jul 29, 2019
So i have found quite a few oil deposits in the ocean and i was wondering, is there a way to sort the water from the oil? I was hoping for like a diamond waterproof pipe to sort liquids but i guess that doesn't exist. I wanted to pump the extra water into a void pipe. If there is a way, please let me know.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
Coming from my own experience, the best way to deal with oil deposits in the ocean, is to build a column of cobble around the hole that leads to the bottom of the oil well, all the way to water level, to keep the water out of the pump's way. If you do this, you will avoid the lag that comes with having water flowing blocks everywhere around the pump, and you'll only suck oil up. It's a bit of work, sure, but at least you do it, and don't have to worry about any water getting in the way, plus, no massive drains in the ocean. Tedious, sure, but extremely effective. Better than separating water & oil.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Coming from my own experience, the best way to deal with oil deposits in the ocean, is to build a column of cobble around the hole that leads to the bottom of the oil well, all the way to water level, to keep the water out of the pump's way. If you do this, you will avoid the lag that comes with having water flowing blocks everywhere around the pump, and you'll only suck oil up. It's a bit of work, sure, but at least you do it, and don't have to worry about any water getting in the way, plus, no massive drains in the ocean. Tedious, sure, but extremely effective. Better than separating water & oil.

This, but I use sand/gravel instead and just let it drop down. Easier way than to find your way in the pitch-black underwater.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
This, but I use sand/gravel instead and just let it drop down. Easier way than to find your way in the pitch-black underwater.

i do what both of you do, but it doesnt solve the underwater pool issue. the liquid router previously mentioned helps with this as long as you dont get stuck with an infinite water loop in an underground water pool. while rare, its insanely frustrating, especially if you arent rolling with a jetpack in early game or something. the GT advanced pump is the only way around the manual maintenance needed when you find one.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
i do what both of you do, but it doesnt solve the underwater pool issue. the liquid router previously mentioned helps with this as long as you dont get stuck with an infinite water loop in an underground water pool. while rare, its insanely frustrating, especially if you arent rolling with a jetpack in early game or something. the GT advanced pump is the only way around the manual maintenance needed when you find one.
if you apply more power to pump, it will just drain water faster than it generates.

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
if you apply more power to pump, it will just drain water faster than it generates.

hmm, I hadn't tried that. Since I tend to use oil early game, my solution was two redstone engines with a dirt block and lever, and I never bothered to make an extra tesseract later on.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
It is not always enough in 1.5.2. I had small lake to drain and my standard method, pump, void pipe and energy cell just didn't work, water generated fast enough while it was being drained.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
It is not always enough in 1.5.2. I had small lake to drain and my standard method, pump, void pipe and energy cell just didn't work, water generated fast enough while it was being drained.
use the filler to fill in the pond/lake with blocks. or excavate the area and then use the filler to fill it in. YOu aren't going to be able to drain a lake/pond no matter what power you use.