Help! My world isn't listed anymore?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I've just had a crash, and after that my world isn't listed anymore to play. The other worlds I created are also invisible. The save files still exist, but I can't find a way to load them. Is there anything I can do?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Load a world with the same seed as the one you lost, then copy over the level.dat from it to the corrupted world. You can also try renaming the level.dat_old to level.dat.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
All right, I copied the level.dat from the backup I made a few hours ago. My world is back and current, but I lost the results of two hours of exploration I carried in my inventory, including a strongbox filled with bees and a Division Sigil (scream!) I found in a dungeon. It's better than losing my world, but it still sucks. On the other hand, I duplicated a TC pickaxe.

BTW, I don't recall my seed. Is that documented somewhere?

HiImWally

Jul 29, 2019
Try To load the same seed and name the world the same i dont know never happened to me!! I always make backups there are many backup mods out there!!!

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I could've loaded an old version, so that's ok. As I said, I do make regular backups. Losing a few hours is still painful though.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Converesely, if you had restored the entire backup (rather than just level.dat) that division sigil would *Still* be waiting for you in that chest.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Converesely, if you had restored the entire backup (rather than just level.dat) that division sigil would *Still* be waiting for you in that chest.
Yeah. Might've done that if I hadn't already lost a few hours when MFFS crashed my game as I inadvertently tried to activate two Force Manipulators affecting each other at the same time. Anyway, I got the thing the hard way in the meantime.

I don't think I specified any seed at world creation, when I type /seed, I get some number in the 4 billions, equalling 2^32-1, i.e. 0xFFFFFFFF. What does that mean?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. Might've done that if I hadn't already lost a few hours when MFFS crashed my game as I inadvertently tried to activate two Force Manipulators affecting each other at the same time. Anyway, I got the thing the hard way in the meantime.

I don't think I specified any seed at world creation, when I type /seed, I get some number in the 4 billions, equalling 2^32-1, i.e. 0xFFFFFFFF. What does that mean?
Well, unless you specify a seed, it's totally random. You could get 234, or you could get 9018498597860398509.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
The way to fix this, politics, noisy children, and everything else; Fire cluster nukes, anti matter, and red matter missiles at them. And if that dosnt work, eat this strane "bacon" you found *cough* everyones corpses after you killed them all with your missles *cough*

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
The way to fix this, politics, noisy children, and everything else; Fire cluster nukes, anti matter, and red matter missiles at them. And if that dosnt work, eat this strane "bacon" you found *cough* everyones corpses after you killed them all with your missles *cough*
Wut
Use world regen

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
This happened to me the other day (first time ever) and wow did I panic. Luckily, some web searching supplied me with the correct answer (level.dat file corruption) and I was able to copy the file from an older backup world save and keep going. Some minor creative mode needed to recreate the items in my hotbar, had to re-make my Tinker's Construct tools, etc. but it wasn't the end of the world (no pun intended) like I initially feared.[DOUBLEPOST=1401831086][/DOUBLEPOST]
Install Aroma Backup, it creates Backups automatically without you having to do anything.

Having done manual world saves every hour or more since I began playing FTB ages ago... I will likely want to bow down and kiss your feet if this does what you say it does. :)