Help me build my next pack: VR Edition

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
My new graphics card will arrive today, and I'm gettin' thirsty for some Mincecraft. Being that I'm also on a VR kick lately, the idea is to set up a nice little pack for me and my friends that I can playing in 2D or VR interchangeably on the server.

So, this means a couple of things. First, the pack has to be either 1.7.10, 1.10.2, 1.11.2 or 1.12.2 as those are the only versions that work with Vivecraft. I know those are the popular ones anyway, but just in case. 1.10.2 or higher would be preferable so I can record replays.

Second, it means some mods won't make the trip. I don't have an exhaustive list, but anything that really gets in and messes with graphics pretty much won't work. From my first test using infinity, I *think* the only culprit was Draconic Evolution. But I haven't tested much else. Mods like this will break Vivecraft.

Third, as this is VR, I really don't want to spend my time in menus. I want to either find something existing that feels a bit more... real? Practical? what's the word? Grounded? I'm not sure. But basically, I don't want the challenge to be in having to build 15 other cubes so I can make this next recipe. As much as I'd love there to be some semblance of progression, I'd like it to be loose.

I'm thinking that most likely I'm going to just start with a clean slate and toss in my usual standard mods, but if anyone knows of a good pack to work off of, I'm totally interested. Or, if anyone knows of any good mods that fit the bill (if your first reaction is Immersive Engineering, you're on the right track!), please let me know.

And lastly, I say I want it to be all steampunk every time and it never sticks. I want things like the AA drill, all the McJty's stuff, refined storage, etc. I'm ok with these being unbalanced. It's a lot more work to play in VR. From my testing, the ability to use the AA drill to mine a 3x3 tunnel is just a much better experience.

So, what you all got? Immersion over all is the name of the game. Think VR. What would you like to see if you could BE Steve?

Reactions: Reddis

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Not just individual mods, either. Help me think of any potential VR-themed goals to work towards as well. I think my old pack I Live Here Now would probably serve fine as a base (minus DE of course) but I'm not sure what else I could be doing with it...

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OH yeah, chisels and bits will definitely be on there. Not the only thing, though.

Will probably have the mods listed above, plus mine colonies and all that, my usual favorites. I'm hoping there are some cool new things I could add, though.

Reddis

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry if this hijacks your thread, but when you said MC + VR, 2 things came to mind. 1) Just how awesome would the Draconic Energy Core look in VR! and 2) Skyblock in VR... oh boy!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Unfortunately, Draconic Evolution is one of the mods that's incompatible :(

Skyblock would look cool, though. I have gone in and tried it (with a graphics card that was chugging, so I didn't play long) and its absolutely as cool as it is in your imagination. A block is actually 1 meter by 1 meter like it's supposed to be, and mountains look like mountains. It really is neat. Not perfect, but really neat. Hoping my new 1080 ti can handle it with shaders :)

Edit: Hmm... I was just googling to see if anyone has a fix for DE, and the first link I saw had someone talking about a VR pack they made and it had DE in it... So I'll poke around with it before declaring it incompatible. *I* could not get it to work the one time I tried it.

Reactions: Reddis

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Out of curiosity, which video card did you settle on and was the price anywhere near normal? :D

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Weeelllll, define normal, lol.

So, I put a lot of thought into this. The new 2080's seem neat and all, but they're ridiculously overpriced for a technology that may or may not even be relevant for the next few years. By the time you will get anything out of the RTX it'll be two generations down the line and they'll be more reasonably priced once the market corrects. All hype/spin, not much substance, way overpriced. Incremental upgrades where it actually counts, but that's it. Their announcement reeked of bullshit, to be perfectly honest. They hyped people up with the wrong prices, too. Very shady. They only jacked those prices because they saw how much graphics cards were selling for, thinking they'd catch the market. Which is not going to fly because people don't need these for mining anymore.

So, that means two things: 1) the 1080 ti is still the better buy. And 2) while the price is dropping, because of how bad the RTX pricing is (and the internet is not falling for it), I don't think they're going to drop to crazy low prices any time soon, either. I think it'll stick to around MSRP for longer than I'm willing to wait*, so I pulled the trigger on one for $709. I just had a credit check issued for $700 this same week, so it was obviously the universe telling me I should have that 1080 ti I always wanted :)

Edit: and I get to play with it in half an hour, yeeeee!!!

*Edit 2: The reason I think the MSRP price is sticking around is because of the backlog of people waiting for reasonably priced cards, along with the 10 series remaining relevant. You can already find plenty of used ones for cheap of course, but I didn't want someone's cast off. Just don't know what it's been through.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Had a ton of driver trouble getting that card in there last night. And that saga is ongoing and I can't get my VR to run at all right now.

But.. 2D is working out and O-M-F-G is is beautiful. I can run Minecraft in 4k, 128x chroma hills WITH kuda shaders on ultra, at 55-85 FPS depending on what I'm looking at. It's... I can't even. I have been trying to get this thing to run like this for years now. It's like my old videos in real time, only in 4k instead of 1080. Minecraft gets a lot out of 4k, too. It's so much clearer.

Now, that's at 12 view distance and a brand new world, so I'm sure eventually I will have to cut down on some settings as I start gunking the world up with machines, but still. I wasn't expecting this, but chunks load WAY faster now, too. I did not expect that to be graphics card related.

But it's all for nothing if I can't figure out this VR bug. I think I'm just going to blow it all up and reinstall windows.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah, I feel the same about the RTX GPUs... I hope early adaptors enjoy the two games that will be the only support for the new features in the next year or so... The price thing wasn't Jacked, though; You can only get the 'binned' chip overclock ability direct from Nvidia right now, hence the higher price. The lower price is for the unbinned chips that may not overclock gracefully. They just found chip reference IDs that indicate two versions of each chip in the RTX drivers.

I also agree about the certainty the RTX features matter in the near future. How long was it after we had 32-bit hardware until the software appeared? Same when 64-bit hardware was released. And the time it took to actually have Multi-core/Multi-threading began to be implemented in games?

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah, I feel the same about the RTX GPUs... I hope early adaptors enjoy the two games that will be the only support for the new features in the next year or so... The price thing wasn't Jacked, though; You can only get the 'binned' chip overclock ability direct from Nvidia right now, hence the higher price. The lower price is for the unbinned chips that may not overclock gracefully. They just found chip reference IDs that indicate two versions of each chip in the RTX drivers.

I also agree about the certainty the RTX features matter in the near future. How long was it after we had 32-bit hardware until the software appeared? Same when 64-bit hardware was released. And the time it took to actually have Multi-core/Multi-threading began to be implemented in games?

Just wanna make sure we're on the same page on the price thing. During the reveal hype conference thing, they listed one price on a graphic, then they ended up being $200 more like literally the next day in a very similar looking graphic. That was something legit? Or are we talking about two different things?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Just wanna make sure we're on the same page on the price thing. During the reveal hype conference thing, they listed one price on a graphic, then they ended up being $200 more like literally the next day in a very similar looking graphic. That was something legit? Or are we talking about two different things?

The "reveal" price (lower) was for the unbinned chips, and is currently available from 3rd parties. The higher priced cards have binned chips and are only available from Nvidia at this time.

Having said that, this morning (9/22) I watched videos from 3 of the guys I follow on YouTube (Jayz2cents, Gamers Nexus and PaulsHardware) running dual boards in the new "SLI" configuration. Looks like that may become relevant again, if you can afford to pay $2500 for a pair of cards... A few titles showed a marked FPS improvement.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Oh yeah, the 20 series is going to be relevant, too. It's just that that price will keep it from overtaking the 1080 any time soon. If the 2080 ti was 800 bucks, I could see it. But at 1200? Hell no. Not sure it's even worth the 999.

There will always be people with more money than sense, so the newest will definitely be relevant, but since the 10s still end up being the better buy, that big backlog of people waiting for reasonably priced upgrades are going to keep those prices from bottoming out. If I was a retailer, I would not be terribly concerned about trying to clear the way for the 20 series. They're probably selling better now than they were a few months ago.

You will see plenty of used ones on sale, though. But I've had enough frustrations with new graphics cards to know that buying someone's used and abused cast off is just a recipe for a headache.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Oh yeah, the 20 series is going to be relevant, too. It's just that that price will keep it from overtaking the 1080 any time soon. If the 2080 ti was 800 bucks, I could see it. But at 1200? Hell no. Not sure it's even worth the 999.

There will always be people with more money than sense, so the newest will definitely be relevant, but since the 10s still end up being the better buy, that big backlog of people waiting for reasonably priced upgrades are going to keep those prices from bottoming out. If I was a retailer, I would not be terribly concerned about trying to clear the way for the 20 series. They're probably selling better now than they were a few months ago.

You will see plenty of used ones on sale, though. But I've had enough frustrations with new graphics cards to know that buying someone's used and abused cast off is just a recipe for a headache.

I never buy used computer equipment... I did that once, $250 for a 20MB hard drive in the good ole' days. It never worked and I never found those guys at a computer swap meet again.

In the case of a Video card I refuse to help a potential crypto-miner recoup their investment after they made money and helped drive up the market for the rest of us. In addition I want the full warranty on a card that expensive, not some beat up GPU that may have run full-out overclocked at 100% duty cycle over who knows how many years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Not sure what resolution it recorded at, but this is captured live running in 4k with my new favorite shaders. Sildurs Enhanced Default. To me, it's closer to what minecraft *should* look like and has a far smaller impact on performance than anything that looks better. Of course, there are better looking shaders out there, but that was by far the best bang for the buck. And it pops on my screen.

Chroma Hills > Faithful 32x modded

Some days, I'm going to want sit down and play with a controller. But I want to always have the ability to pop into the world to either admire my own work, or to sculpt some bits, maybe build and ride a roller coaster or 3. This is the dream. The reality is difficult.

This the culmination of my entire day today. The issue is with forge versions. Vivecraft's forge isn't up to date, so I had to do a ton of manual rollbacks to get the essentials to work. But, I think I've got a good start here. I have a full-size modpack here, with all of the essentials, while paying a close eye on performance.

I aimed for a standing 90FPS in 4k at 16 view distance on a fresh world. The theory is that it'll give me enough wiggle room to muck it all up with machines. Standing FPS is fine because the VR sessions will be in room scale and I can drop the view distance if needed. For the 2D game, the TV can only do 60FPS at 4k anyway, and by the time it's on the server, I'm dropping down to like 12 view distance anyway. We'll see how long this lasts.

Modlist spoilered below, but here's the idea: This pack is a creative/survival hybrid. The idea isn't to make you build a bunch of machine to build machines to build machines. The whole idea is to have the same familiar mods that capture the gist. AA Drillin', simple basic power gen, extra utils, openblocks, the usual. Storage drawers, refined storage, Mcjty's classics, Bits, funky loco, blockrafty, etc. The idea is to spend more time APPLYING the functionality to into something cool, that feels real enough because you still have to earn it.

In this particular playthrough, the goal is to build a huge, functional castle that looks over a working minecolonies village complete with power and lighting and whatnot, with decorations and whatnot. Basically go from being stranded naked in a strange land and building a fully realized kingdom, one that I can pop into and visit in virtual reality any time I choose.

Like, in that video, Think huge castle up in the highlands, overlooking the plains all the way down to the water. That would be my kingdom.

Any mods you can think of that I'm missing, as long as they won't bog anything down, let me know!

If anyone knows an easier way to do this, let me know, lol

"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\NetherPortalFix_1.12.1-5.3.17.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\nice-1.12-0.3.1.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\OpenBlocks-1.12.2-1.7.6.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\OpenModsLib-1.12.2-0.11.5.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\OptiFine_1.12.2_HD_U_E2.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\QuickLeafDecay-MC1.12.1-1.2.4.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\rangedpumps-0.5.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\RecurrentComplex-1.4.7.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\RedstoneFlux-1.12-2.0.2.3-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\refinedstorage-1.6.5.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\rftools-1.12-7.56.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\rftoolsdim-1.12-5.61.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\SilentLib-1.12.2-3.0.1-145.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\SilentsGems-1.12.2-2.8.2-293.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\SimpleOreGeneration-4.3.2 mc 1.12.2.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\StorageDrawers-1.12.2-5.3.7.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ThermalDynamics-1.12.2-2.5.1.14-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ThermalExpansion-1.12.2-5.5.0.29-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ThermalFoundation-1.12.2-2.5.0.19-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\TombManyGraves-1.12-4.2.0.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\twilightforest-1.12.2-3.8.689-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\WailaHarvestability-mc1.12-1.1.12.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Wawla-1.12.2-2.5.261.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\worleycaves-1.3.0.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\xnet-1.12-1.7.4.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\1.12.2"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\memory_repo"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ActuallyAdditions-1.12.2-r140.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ActuallyBaubles-1.12-1.1.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\AdChimneys-1.12.2-3.3.8.0-build.0180.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\AdHooks-1.12.2-3.2.1.0-build.0155.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\angelRingToBauble-1.12-0.3.1.50+d4e654e.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Arcane_Lamps_[1.5.1].jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Baubles-1.12-1.5.2.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\BetterBuildersWands-1.12-0.11.1.245+69d0d70.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\BetterFps-1.4.8.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\blockcraftery-0.1.3.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\BrandonsCore-1.12.2-2.4.5.176-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\buildcraft-7.99.18.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Chameleon-1.12-4.1.3.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ChestTransporter-1.12.2-2.8.8.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Chisel-MC1.12.2-0.2.1.35.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\chiselsandbits-14.24.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CodeChickenLib-1.12.2-3.2.0.345-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CoFHCore-1.12.2-4.5.2.19-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CoFHWorld-1.12.2-1.2.0.5-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CommonCapabilities-1.12-1.4.0.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CookingForBlockheads_1.12.2-6.4.63.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CraftingTweaks_1.12.2-8.1.9.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CTM-MC1.12.2-0.3.2.18.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\CyclopsCore-1.12.2-0.11.10.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Draconic-Evolution-1.12.2-2.3.15.312-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\DynamicSurroundings-1.12.2-3.4.9.16.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\DynamicTrees-1.12.2-0.7.8.jar.disabled"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Earthworks-1.12-1.3.6.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\elulib-0.1.12.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\EnderStorage-1.12.2-2.4.2.126-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ExtraBitManipulation-1.12.2-3.3.1.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\extrautils2-1.12-1.9.3.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\fairylights-2.1.2-1.12.x.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\FarmingForBlockheads_1.12.2-3.1.25.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Ferdinand's Flowers-1.10.1b-1.12.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\flatcoloredblocks-mc1.12-6.6.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ForgeEndertech-1.12.2-4.4.0.0-build.0180.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Forgelin-1.7.4.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\funky-locomotion-1.12.2-1.1.2.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Harvest-1.12-1.2.6-18.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Hwyla-1.8.26-B41_1.12.2.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ImmersiveEngineering-0.12-85.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\IntegratedDynamics-1.12.2-0.11.17.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\InventoryTweaks-1.63.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\IronBackpacks-1.12.2-3.0.8-12.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\ironchest-1.12.2-7.0.40.824.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\itemzoom_1.12.1-1.10.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\IvToolkit-1.3.3-1.12.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\jei_1.12.2-4.11.0.212.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\jeiintegration_1.12.2-1.5.1.36.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\JustEnoughResources-1.12.2-0.8.5.27.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Magneticraft_1.12-2.5.1-dev.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\mcjtylib-1.12-3.0.5.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\minecolonies-1.12.2-0.9.3-RELEASE-universal.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\modelloader-1.1.3.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\Morpheus-1.12-3.3.2.jar"
"C:\Users\DrBretto\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Mods\mods\MouseTweaks-2.8-mc1.12.1.jar"

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Let's see.. some other neat goals:

I can build a track that brings you along a path with various targets. Openblocks has these targets you can shoot with arrows that emit a redstone signal. I can go into 2d mode, build up the track, wire some targets to some AA fireworks generators, then pop into VR, hop in a cab to, hit the button to start, then use the motion controllers to shoot the arrows, hit the targets and get rewarded with a fireworks show.

And hey, every castle needs a dungeon, right? Well, how about a collection of different spawners and you can walk through like a zoo of baddies you've collected over the years. And, as you go through, it spawns,kills and loots the monster, so it doubles as a mob grinder. Could make a fun little VR horror hallway or something, I dunno.

Castles should also have hedge mazes. Booby trap it, hop into VR and go through it. Man, this pack is gonna be fun.

M

Malcolm Rey

Just FIY two weeks ago I was testing my HTC Vive with Minecraft and it worked smooth!

I used Direwolf20 1.12.2 (2.2.0) version, while installing the Vivecraft I used the custom forge version option and I've picked the one that is in Dire Pack. This worked perfectly and I could log in to our server and do stuff.

Draconic Evolution is indeed included in the patch, no conflicts while running although I did not open the manual for it while in vr.

I was also running some recommended shaders and I was using 128 Sphax textures for the modpack.

Pretty epic.

Reactions: Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Here is one thing that all 3D viewing mechanisms fail. Focus. Try this. Close one eye and hold up a finger to look at it. Now, don't look, but be aware of what's past your finger. It will be out of focus (unless you've had cataract surgery). Now, look at what ever is out of focus past your finger. You eye quickly adjusts the focus and your finger is fuzzy. Your brain has spent your entire lifetime learning how to do that. Try it with both eyes now. Look at your finger. Everything in the background is not only doubled, but also fuzzy. Look past your finger. The thing you look at get focus and your doubled finger is fuzzy. Nothing in the virtual 3D world is set to work with that. Movies, goggles, Viewmaster... none of it.

Except every shader with a Depth of Field option, including the shader I use :)

Anything better than that, though, and you'd need a headset with eye tracking, which is what the next generation of headsets are working on now. For now, though, this really isn't an issue. I've been using VR nearly daily for almost a year now. It's really not a big issue.

Just FIY two weeks ago I was testing my HTC Vive with Minecraft and it worked smooth!

I used Direwolf20 1.12.2 (2.2.0) version, while installing the Vivecraft I used the custom forge version option and I've picked the one that is in Dire Pack. This worked perfectly and I could log in to our server and do stuff.

Draconic Evolution is indeed included in the patch, no conflicts while running although I did not open the manual for it while in vr.

I was also running some recommended shaders and I was using 128 Sphax textures for the modpack.

Pretty epic.

The only reason I didn't mess with that custom forge version was that on my display, running at 4k, I couldn't see the text in that window. So, when the website had in its patch notes that it had upgraded to 2702, I just went ahead and assumed it was the highest version it worked with. Oh well, I was never going to settle for someone else's modpack anyway :)

As far as the modpack goes, I have added a couple dozen mods into the mix and I *think* it's all done! I'll be setting up my private server tonight. I will export the twitch profile, though, in case anyone wants it. This pack should work natively with the default version of Vivecraft 1.12.

I am very excited about this pack. I actually didn't have to sacrifice pretty much anything. It has all of the essentials (including Draconic Evolution!), all of the conveniences and all of the creative building stuff you could ask for/is available in 1.12. It runs smoothly. I haven't tested it extensively in VR yet, but I don't see any conflicts intuitively. So excited!

Reactions: glepet1962