Request Help increasing fps

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
S

shadowice0823

I am using direwolf 20s pack on my laptop and the fps is really really bad. It often freezes if I move to far from what has already rendered. I did delete a few of the mods but still its pretty much unplayable.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
biomes o plenty is really the only mod you need worry about causing lag and maybe whatever map mod is in the pack.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
A few questions:

1. What OS? What version? 64 or 32 bit?
2. What Java version? 64 or 32 bit?
3. How much system ram? How much ram is "stolen" by your video chip?
4. What speed is your CPU?
5. What version of Minecraft/Direwolf20?

These are important for the following reasons:

1. A 32 bit OS stopped being very usable when MC 1.7.x became prevalent in packs. This is because a 32 bit OS cannot address the ram required to keep itself and a large MC pack running well. A 32 bit CPU can only address 4GB directly due to hardware limits (32 bit address bus) and thus a 32 bit OS cannot either. 32 bit is still ok for Vanilla MC and very small 1.7.x packs.

2. 32 bit java limits the amount of ram you can allocate for applications. 64 bit Java, because of the greater addressable ram range allowed by a 64 bit CPU lets you to specify the ram allocation. While 32 bit Java will run on a 64 bit OS, 64 bit Java will not run on a 32 bit OS. Java hasn't updated cleanly in the past so even with a 64 bit OS you may be running 32 bit Java without knowing it.

3. Laptops are known for having limited ram capability, depending on age. If older than about 5 years you may be limited to 4GB maximum. Laptops are also notorious for being equipped with "integrated graphics", which means your graphics system is reserving a block of memory strictly for video operations. This means your total available ram is less than the physical installed ram. In Windows this will show up in your "System Information" screen similar to "4096MB installed, 3840MB available" indicating that the video is using 256MB (this may be more or less, depending on the video chip. Windows systems tend to require 1-2GB ram for itself, depending on version. In order to run software you must have more than that amount, plus what the video is using.

4. CPU speed is more an issue than the number of cores... Minecraft isn't written to use more than 1 core (yet).

5. This is where all of the above comes together. Newer versions of Minecraft need more memory to run. All Mods need additional memory to run - the larger the pack (number of mods) the more memory needed. For example, a large pack running on MC 1.7.10 like Infinity Evolved or to a lesser extent Direwolf20 will be happiest running with 3-4GB dedicated to Java. I've seen claims that 2.5GB works, but that's running with in-game settings like Render Distance turned down. MC 1.6 packs will run with less memory, MC 1.5 is ok with even less and even runs ok with 32 bit setups, etc. You do not want to allocate more than 4GB for Java, as Minecraft is not the most memory friendly Java App ever written and Java's internal memory cleanup will start having problems, which cause some lag..

My desktop setup has 8GB physical memory installed, all of which is available since I don't have integrated graphics on my mainboard and my video card has it's own 1GB just for video use. I have a 4Ghz CPU (4 dual-cores, not that that matters in Minecraft). I run Windows 10, which needs about 1GB for it's own use, and I allocate 4GB for modded Minecraft.

Reactions: mattp_12

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Also, there's either Fastcraft or CoFHTweaks to help with FPS. Some swear by one, some by the other, but they are mutually exclusive. Test drive them both out, see which one gives better performance, and run with it.

You may or may not wish to try out Optifine. Typically, it is used for better shiner and more system-lagging graphics, but you can also use it to tone things down a bit, which might help.

S

shadowice0823

1. What OS? What version? 64 or 32 bit?
64 bit

2. What Java version? 64 or 32 bit?
64 bit vers 66 I know they are up to 72 or so now but last time I updated it messed with android studio and eclipse

3. How much system ram? How much ram is "stolen" by your video chip?
4gb ram, couldnt figure out how much is stolen the card is Intel (R) HD graphics 4600

4. What speed is your CPU?
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4300M [email protected]

5. What version of Minecraft/Direwolf20?
FTB Presents Direwolf20 (v1.10.0) Minecraft Version 1.7.10
By The FTB Team
I downloaded it from the launcher on this site and havent changed anything in it.

Also it came with fastcraft so I think thats already working? I tried turning the settings down believe I turned it down to 4 render distance, no clouds, fast graphics etc.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
You said you're using a laptop.

Do you have a decent nVIDIA / AMD GPU in it?

If not, the bog standard Intel HD4000/5000 series won't cut the mustard.
If you DO have a proper GPU, chances are you have 2 graphical processors, as it is common nowadays.

Windows uses the standard Intel HD card for everyday Windows shenanigans so it doesn't drain your battery in 20 seconds, and switches to the beefier GPU when running games.
Problem is, that by default Minecraft is considered a standard Java application, not a game, so you end up running it on the crappy Intel.

Make sure that java.exe and javaw.exe are forced to run on your nvidia/amd processor, not the Intel one.

If you have an nVIDIA card, you can set them from the nvidia control panel. Can't speak for AMD as I never owned one.

And oh .. make sure you play with your charger plugged in. Apart from my gaming PC I have an nvidia equipped laptop that I use when I travel, and I see a HUGE difference in FPS when I run it on charger as opposed to just battery. GPUs drain a lot of juice, so you have to supply it with as much as you can spare.

Hope it helps :)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
1. I have never seen optifine improve FPS on any system. And i've seen a few people with low spec systems try. All it does is screw up some mods.

2. The biggest problem with DW20 in regards to gfx pressure is BOP and Journeymap. Neither of these mods seems to be coded to even try and be conservative with texture memory usage. They kill performance on low spec systems.

3. Other than that, dw20 should be just as performant as vanilla - especially if you move to a new area of the world that has no mod blocks placed. Performance problems usually arise in the vicinity of a players base where a lot of tile entities have been deployed. Carpenters blocks and any kind of multipart generally wreck fps if used for anything other than very small scale detailing. Use less pipes, and (ironically) build your base over a wider area so that less of it is compressed into your FOV at any one time.

--
Verify that your performance problems ARE in fact related to GFX rather than server processing. Obtain (borrow/beg/whatever) a 2nd PC, and run a dedicated server on that. Playing against a server on low spec system is recommended as it means the client doesn't have to deal with all the the tick per second logic that the server does. Scripts, mob AI, mods with cpu expensive multiblock etc. code all get offset from the client that can concentrate on rendering.