Help generating power

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

2122000nrm

Jul 29, 2019
Hello
I am on the Ultimate Pack, (gregtech difficulty is on hard) and I need a way to generate nearly 1024 EU/t. Any suggestions?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Boilers and Power Converters. Pick a fuel you can produce and go to town. I recommend Minefactory reloaded tree farms (just 1 tree per cycle will do) feeding sawmills that feed solid fuel boilers. Poppycocks has told me that 3 sawmills per boiler is usually sufficient. Make sure to clean out the sawdust or it'll backlog.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Steam Boilers and Power Converters. Pick a fuel you can produce and go to town. I recommend Minefactory reloaded tree farms (just 1 tree per cycle will do) feeding sawmills that feed solid fuel boilers. Poppycocks has told me that 3 sawmills per boiler is usually sufficient. Make sure to clean out the sawdust or it'll backlog.
use the sawdust to create charcoal to power the sawmills. :)

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Or even better, power an other boiler with the charcoal and power the sawmills with it.

EDIT: As for the 2^10 power requirement, why not go for some nuclear or fusion reactors?

Ok, they are damn expensive to build, but it's so much more awesome than some solar panels.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
I would not recommend a nuclear reactor. They're terrible. If you wanna go the simple way 2 Ultimate Hybrids would do the trick. Or if you wanna be complicated you could do something weirder.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
Did I really say that? I mean, I always use 3, but that's in case I need the boiler go from cold again. It's just a ... precaution. Also, I'm lazy.

One should be plenty for a max temp boiler.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I would not recommend a nuclear reactor. They're terrible. If you wanna go the simple way 2 Ultimate Hybrids would do the trick. Or if you wanna be complicated you could do something weirder.

With Gregtech, they're actually pretty good. But they do require very good automation skills to get the most out of. Boilers are much easier for the power payout.

It's too bad we don't use Atomic Science. Their nuclear reactors have huge payouts for even short runs and don't require an inventory turtle or an inscrutable, expensive, undocumented gregtech block to do fuel breeding.[DOUBLEPOST=1365453574][/DOUBLEPOST]
use the sawdust to create charcoal to power the sawmills. :)

Yeah, it's just easy to forget to deal with it. :)

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
IMO for the price of all the uranium they're terrible. I get better output out of 7 geotherms. It's way cheaper and is renewable.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
While we're on this subject, do we know how many EU/t a 36 HP boiler will produce if you do steam/EU power conversion through a power converter?

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Weird, I was running two LP36 boilers off of one sawmill. Is HP that much hungrier?

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
IMO for the price of all the uranium they're terrible. I get better output out of 7 geotherms. It's way cheaper and is renewable.
You should research this. The trick is to breed better fuel with Throium then use plutonium.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
That's rather late game is it not? I believe that requires a centrifuge. If I'm running a centrifuge I think a reactor may be a bit past me.

Djharts

Jul 29, 2019
A large portion of the recipes require 12000 EU and up. By the time you have a centrifuge you should probably have an EU system better then a Nuclear Reactor.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
A Nuclear Reactor has the potential to produce a massive amount of energy.

If it's not doing that, it's not because of the reactor. You just need a better arrangement inside the reactor.

Centrifuges use a negligible amount of energy. I'm running several of them off just a few thermal generators.

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019
A large portion of the recipes require 12000 EU and up. By the time you have a centrifuge you should probably have an EU system better then a Nuclear Reactor.
I think that is the total EU required to complete the process. A process that requires 12000 EU would reqire 375 ticks @ 32 EU per tick to complete or approximately 18.75 seconds @ 20 tps. (I could be wrong, because I'm not that experienced with GT)

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, and 12,000 total EU is... so, so small.

A single generator produces that much EU in a minute, and that's at a measly 10 eu/t