Hello 1.9

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Well, I didn't expect it this fast, but I am very pleasantly surprised at the mods that have already moved on to 1.9. Just by browsing Curseforge, here's some mods that have a release on 1.9:

* WAILA
* JourneyMap
* TiCo (still Alpha)
* Storage Drawers
* Blood Magic
* RFTools (Dimensions is now a whole 'nother mod)
* RandomThings
* Biomes O Plenty
* Progressive Automation
* JEI
* Chisels n Bits
* Light Level Overlay
* Graves
* Psi
* Deep Resonance

and many, many more!

Pretty much everything for 1.8, except Thaumcraft and Intangible, seem to already have 1.9 updates.

So... skipping 1.8 confirmed?

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much, not many mod devs liked the idea of 1.8.
But to be honest, that mod list doesn't make me want to move.

The only biome mod is a bad one (I think BoP is overused, overhyped, but generally crap)
The only tech mods are progressive automation and rftools
The only magic mod is blood magic...

It's not really enough to make a large mod pack... You could get away with a light pack, but not something larger than something like tech world 2

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I agree that this small list isn't enough to make me abandon my current world to jump to 1.9, but it does look more and more each day like 1.8 was just a staging area for 1.9.

Just as well, IMO. The longer waits between MC versions helps make for a better modding environment. The constant threat that all your work will soon be invalidated because people want that new shiny thing must be hell on the psyche of modders. Especially considering most modders have lives outside of being a mod developer, and free time is always limited.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Best would be to wait for the New direwolf20 pack
Whenever that Comes out i can be sure 1.9 is ready

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
From what I've seen upgrading to 1.9 (at least from 1.8.9) can be as trivial as changing the Forge version in the code and re-factoring.

The developers that I follow who stream mostly seem to be doing this and cleaning up as needed so they'll be ready when a stable Forge for 1.9 is ready.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
If we get a stable 1.9 Forge before 1.10 snapshots, I'll call it a win. Either way, we should have a decent window to play in between 1.9 and 1.10.
We need a decent time for modders to update.

Mojang could have left MC at 1.7, but just fixed a load of bugs. That would have been ideal for modding.
Then they go and make modding ridiculously hard (compared to before), after they made it simpler (by removing sprite sheets)

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
We need a decent time for modders to update.

Mojang could have left MC at 1.7, but just fixed a load of bugs. That would have been ideal for modding.
Then they go and make modding ridiculously hard (compared to before), after they made it simpler (by removing sprite sheets)

I think the goal is to have more often, but less world-shattering updates to Minecraft as an engine. Hopefully, this means that updating mods from one version to another in most cases should be as simple as some say the 1.8->1.9 update has been.

This is needed, because the base code (from everything I've heard/read) is a massive pile of rubbish in a lot of ways. Entity handling, and particularly mob AI, is atrocious. Once they can get things at a base level to a point where updating MC is similar to updating mods in a pack, we will truely be on the verge of the golden age of modding. Add to that a proper modding API once the base code is stable and more efficient and the headaches we go through now all seem worth it.

But of course, it's not happening overnight, so we must be patient and hope for the best.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I think the goal is to have more often, but less world-shattering updates to Minecraft as an engine. Hopefully, this means that updating mods from one version to another in most cases should be as simple as some say the 1.8->1.9 update has been.

This is needed, because the base code (from everything I've heard/read) is a massive pile of rubbish in a lot of ways. Entity handling, and particularly mob AI, is atrocious. Once they can get things at a base level to a point where updating MC is similar to updating mods in a pack, we will truely be on the verge of the golden age of modding. Add to that a proper modding API once the base code is stable and more efficient and the headaches we go through now all seem worth it.

But of course, it's not happening overnight, so we must be patient and hope for the best.
Yes, it's pretty obvious the people at Mojang aren't pros when it comes to coding. Even I can see obvious flaws, and I don't know Java

Reactions: Lethosos

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, it's pretty obvious the people at Mojang aren't pros when it comes to coding. Even I can see obvious flaws, and I don't know Java

I wouldn't say this is necessarily true about the current programmers, given the material they have to work with and the fact they don't want to be responsible for too many aneurysms if they make too many changes at once. :D

I may have misread but I recall reading someplace that Minecraft was written by Notch when he was teaching himself how to program using Java. Having done this type of thing myself, back when BASIC had line numbers and only understood upper-case ASCII, and also with 8080 and 6502 machine code, I know how ugly things can look years later when you find an original listing and have a good laugh as long as the code was still private, anyway... :D

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't say this is necessarily true about the current programmers, given the material they have to work with and the fact they don't want to be responsible for too many aneurysms if they make too many changes at once. :D

I may have misread but I recall reading someplace that Minecraft was written by Notch when he was teaching himself how to program using Java. Having done this type of thing myself, back when BASIC had line numbers and only understood upper-case ASCII, and also with 8080 and 6502 machine code, I know how ugly things can look years later when you find an original listing and have a good laugh as long as the code was still private, anyway... :D
A lot of the stuff has been rewritten since then, most notably world generation, in 1.2 (or it may have been 1.3) but look at how much FPS tanked since then.
It may be wise to just take what they have an do a complete rewrite. Or at least everything they haven't already rewritten.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of the stuff has been rewritten since then, most notably world generation, in 1.2 (or it may have been 1.3) but look at how much FPS tanked since then.
It may be wise to just take what they have an do a complete rewrite. Or at least everything they haven't already rewritten.

I thought that was the plan (the entire rewrite), only they are trying to split it up into manageable sections and trying their best not to shatter everything each update if they can help it. I know many view the rapid updates from 1.8 to 1.9 (and now 1.10 in progress) as a bad thing that will dismantle the modding scene with each version, but once they have some of the major pieces out of the way (world gen, rendering, hopefully mob AI) the mod devs shouldn't have to start from square one each update. This means that some version changes will be very much like the 1.8->1.9 update, where things seem overly simple. That doesn't rule out the possibility of a version along the way that needs to shatter everything to make substantial gains, but until that happens, we look to have a pretty good run ahead of us.

Reactions: RedBoss and Hambeau

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Until one of the two main materials-processing mods gets updated (those would be Thermal Expansion/CoFH and IC2), the 1.9 modpack won't get much play from me.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Im waiting for Immersive Engineering to go live. I want it to be my main tech mod. There are actually a fair few ore processing mods out there but none are attractive options. Either too simple or ugly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Im waiting for Immersive Engineering to go live. I want it to be my main tech mod. There are actually a fair few ore processing mods out there but none are attractive options. Either too simple or ugly.
I can't wait to get into Immersive Engineering. I am going to be replacing Mekanism with ImmEng for my 1.9 mod pack (sorry, ShneekeyCraft is officially skipping 1.8). It's everything I want in a tech mod. Large multiblock structures which return decent results. Clearly took inspiration from classic Railcraft, and then improved upon it. It and CoFH are going to be my two major tech-based mods. BM and Thaumcraft are the two big magic mods. They've both changed significantly enough that it'll still be fresh and different.

Reactions: SpitefulFox