Having issues running minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Parthanaux

Jul 29, 2019
I just built a new pc. Got everything hooked up and starting playing ftb. Im playing on the direwolf20 and monster packs. For some reason i have good frames while in loaded chunks, but when loading its very laggy. I did turn off vsync, that didnt help, i also have more ram allocated to ftb. I tried vanilla and same thing. Also my render distance has to be at 7 to play, otherwise i have about 4 second block lag. Maybe it is the computer? but it runs all other games great. I cant find anything else to do but come to you folks for help. One last question is does it take forever for you guys to boot up your ftb packs? Because it takes a longggg time for me. Thanks to all who read this.

My specs are...

Amd fx 6300 6 core
MSI R9 280 GAMING 3G 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI graphics
8 gb ram
AMD 970 ATX 4xDDR3 motherboard

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
How much RAM is dedicated to FTB? What is your Java version? Also, I don't know if FastCraft is for 1.6 (I think it may be 1.7 only), but grab that and install it if you can. It should hopefully help reduce some of the performance hit you get when loading.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Fastcraft is only for 1.7 sadly.
IMO you will want to make sure to run MC of a SSD, preferably SATA3(6Gb/s). This will help a lot on loading times and performance when loading new chunks(travelling etc.).

Reactions: Padfoote

Artea

Jul 29, 2019
Check and see if you are running the latest version of java (Java 8), and it is the 64 bit version, a couple of people on my server seemed to see a boost in performance with the additional addressable memory.

IMO you will want to make sure to run MC of a SSD, preferably SATA3(6Gb/s)
Been running on SSDs for a few years so I can't compare, is there a big difference in performance from having a higher read/write when loading new chunks to memory?

I tried flying around as fast as I could to generate new chunks, and the biggest disk usage appears to be journeymap with the most writes. The initial startup did spike a bit so maybe the initial loadup would be faster.

Infinity still takes about 3 minutes for me to startup on a raid-0 pair of sata3 SSDs, so I reckon it's somewhat unavoidable.
Capture.PNG

8Gb of memory on a brand new gaming machine is pretty low ( considering the low cost per GB ), but it should be more than enough for modded MC to handle.

Orbital_Decay

Jul 29, 2019
8Gb of memory on a brand new gaming machine is pretty low ( considering the low cost per GB ), but it should be more than enough for modded MC to handle.

Pretty low! I can't think of any game that uses more than 4 which leaves plenty of room for the OS and other misc. stuff. The only reason to have more than 8 is if you plan on doing video recording/streaming. Anyway, I would guess that Parthanaux spent most of his money on that 6 core processor.

Reactions: Parthanaux