Haven't played FTB in a while, what pack should I get?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys, looking to get back into modded minecraft. Last time I was playing was on Ultimate pack in like 1.4 or 1.5 I think.

What's a comparable mod pack to Ultimate? I liked having a large variety of magic and tech mods, but I also value a balanced game that isn't easily broken by inter-mod loopholes.

Also, what's the word on 1.7/8? Am I coming back just before a new release? I'd hate to get invested only to have it be obsolete next week lol.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I suggest TPPI, it is like ultimate on 1.6.4 (requires orivate pack code:MegaSharkPunch) and 1.7 mods have started, but nothing major soon.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
I sugest direwolf20 it is nicely balanced and if you get stuck with anything it is supported by dirwolf's youtube series which explains everything. Also it is the most popular pack atm so it will be easier to find support with it from more experience players.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I sugest direwolf20 it is nicely balanced and if you get stuck with anything it is supported by dirwolf's youtube series which explains everything. Also it is the most popular pack atm so it will be easier to find support with it from more experience players.
Highly Debatable...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so TPPI sounds pretty decent. Found the sub-reddit for it. I'm pretty familiar with the old mods, any new mods in it I should research to help me start up?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, so TPPI sounds pretty decent. Found the sub-reddit for it. I'm pretty familiar with the old mods, any new mods in it I should research to help me start up?
Mariculture
TiC if you dont know about it
IC2, Thermal Expansion, and Buildcraft have ALL gone under major overhauls, as well as Ars Magica and Thaumcraft
Witchery is a new mod
Blood Magic is a fun new mod
Some of the Thaumcraft addons
Forestry Bee Breeding has huge changes, as well as butterfly breeding being added
Big Reactors
RotaryCraft
ReactorCraft
ElectriCraft
Reminder this is 1.6 in general, not just TPPI

Feniks

Jul 29, 2019
Highly Debatable...
Judging from server section where we have at the time of writing this post:

35 Horizon servers, 87 Monster, 21 Agarian sky, 252 Ultimate, 252 Mindcrack, and 392 Direwolf20 servers we can see that direwolf has 150 more servers than Mindcrack or Ultimate and over 4 times more servers than Monster. Makes me believe that I am right in what I say. Unless you have evidence that states otherwise we would have to relay on the fact that servers on average should be as popular as their matching modpacks so for now Direwolf20 is the most popular.

Nevertheless to OP just have a look at few modpacks and choose the one that you find the most interesting a lot of them share about 70% of mods so it isn't that difficult to switch if you later decide you want to try different modpack as you will already know most of the stuff.

From my part I still recommend Dirwolf20 as I never had a problem with it and direwolf videos were always there if something was to difficult to figure out by myself.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Judging from server section where we have at the time of writing this post:

35 Horizon servers, 87 Monster, 21 Agarian sky, 252 Ultimate, 252 Mindcrack, and 392 Direwolf20 servers we can see that direwolf has 150 more servers than Mindcrack or Ultimate and over 4 times more servers than Monster. Makes me believe that I am right in what I say. Unless you have evidence that states otherwise we would have to relay on the fact that servers on average should be as popular as their matching modpacks so for now Direwolf20 is the most popular.

Nevertheless to OP just have a look at few modpacks and choose the one that you find the most interesting a lot of them share about 70% of mods so it isn't that difficult to switch if you later decide you want to try different modpack as you will already know most of the stuff.

From my part I still recommend Dirwolf20 as I never had a problem with it and direwolf videos were always there if something was to difficult to figure out by myself.
Downloads are more accurate than servers

Reactions: Qazplm601 and YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I ended up going with TPPI, anyone got any good seeds?
Not sure if anyone here has a lot of good TPPI seeds, but I get a feeling the subreddit for TPPI should have a metric assload of 'em, since it's basically the /FTB/ Reddit pack.