Haven't been here long but

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
So most arguments about my feelings about cussing would get voided if we went with the following idea I posted in response to one of the moderators; no?

Excuse me for being a little dense, but why should the FTB forum owners cater to your wants specifically?
The FTB forum rules spell out the implicit and explicit desires for what kind of community the owners of the forum want on it. If you want something else, then you are free to find another forum to chat on, or to make your own for that matter.
Besides, being offensive is not a sign of maturity. Being able to respond in a civil and cordial manner despite disagreements is however, and many of us strive towards that very ideal.

Adulthood is not an age, It's a mindset. One where being responsible for ones actions takes priority. and that responsibility does not end at the keyboard. it transcends everything we do in the role of being adults. be it words spoken in anger, or typed as may be the case on the net, to obeying the law.
By being a responsible adult, I can not condone offensive behaviour aimed at hurting other peoples feelings. Neither you nor I can predict what the final consequence of such an insult is. We do not know the state of mind of the people who frequent this forum. Not knowing does not absolve one of responsibility however, So the responsible adult thing to do is to take a little care in what one says.
Or to quote the Bad astronomer himself - Phil Plait that is: "Don't be a dick."

Reactions: arkangyl and Guswut

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Excuse me for being a little dense, but why should the FTB forum owners cater to your wants specifically?
The FTB forum rules spell out the implicit and explicit desires for what kind of community the owners of the forum want on it. If you want something else, then you are free to find another forum to chat on, or to make your own for that matter.
Besides, being offensive is not a sign of maturity. Being able to respond in a civil and cordial manner despite disagreements is however, and many of us strive towards that very ideal.

It was a suggestion as I first put it in the site feeback. I'm not here to demand it I suggested it. Not having somewhere I can go and just speak my mind uninhibited with others here is the main reason I don't come here much anymore. Not to mention I don't explicitly state offending others as something to be acceptable merely that some people twist anything someone says into something offensive until they say the same thing differently. Not to mention such a place as I suggested wouldn't necessarily be about arguments/debates. It would literally be anything someone wanted to talk about without any kind of language restriction. That could mean having a thread within such a place for specific languages.

Adulthood is not an age, It's a mindset. One where being responsible for ones actions takes priority. and that responsibility does not end at the keyboard. it transcends everything we do in the role of being adults. be it words spoken in anger, or typed as may be the case on the net, to obeying the law.
By being a responsible adult, I can not condone offensive behaviour aimed at hurting other peoples feelings. Neither you nor I can predict what the final consequence of such an insult is. We do not know the state of mind of the people who frequent this forum. Not knowing does not absolve one of responsibility however, So the responsible adult thing to do is to take a little care in what one says.
Or to quote the Bad astronomer himself - Phil Plait that is: "Don't be a dick."

Whether what you say ends at the keyboard is up to your morally. Regardless of the implications on other people it doesn't have to mean anything to you. Most of the time when I'm told I've offended someone or that I'm being offensive I take little care of such observations. Not because I do not care but because, as I said in the OP, many people find something offending until you say it differently coated in sugar. That is not to say I do not care when I do actually(in my opinion) offend someone because at that point I do try to make amends. I have done such on this forum before.

Besides; responsibility is overrated. The definition of being responsible is subjective to each and every person. Something of such nature is unreliable. If I cannot quantify it universally it is useless.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
It was a suggestion as I first put it in the site feeback. I'm not here to demand it I suggested it. Not having somewhere I can go and just speak my mind uninhibited with others here is the main reason I don't come here much anymore

Just curious as to what exactly you have to say that can not be said in these forums... I mean any question you ask can be answered quickly and intelligently by at least one forum member, so are you just looking for a place to vent frustrations or poke fun at people maybe? I can't tell anyone what to do but maybe you could let us know what exactly it is you want to say, or what it is you may have said in the past that caused you to create this thread in the first place.

You mention "mini-moderators;" forum members that feel entitled to police the community when such policing was not asked for. Well I think KirinDave put it best when he stated on page 2:
This is "free speech." You get to express yourself, and we get to express ourselves by reporting you, asking you to stop, and perhaps a moderator banning you. Just because you have a right to express yourself doesn't mean you have a right to transcend social consequences.

It's not about being moderators, it's about being able to post what is on our minds, about helping each other out. If you make a forum post that contributes to nothing whatsoever, isn't it just human to point that out? The forums have rules, most people try to follow those rules. @ Hoff, I don't see why anyone that agrees to those rules wouldn't point out anything that went against them... I may be completely off the mark, but seems like you just don't like being told when you're wrong or going against any rules? Not trying to start anything but that's what it feels like by reading back through your posts.

Reactions: Guswut

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Just curious as to what exactly you have to say that can not be said in these forums... I mean any question you ask can be answered quickly and intelligently by at least one forum member, so are you just looking for a place to vent frustrations or poke fun at people maybe? I can't tell anyone what to do but maybe you could let us know what exactly it is you want to say, or what it is you may have said in the past that caused you to create this thread in the first place.

You mention "mini-moderators;" forum members that feel entitled to police the community when such policing was not asked for. Well I think KirinDave put it best when he stated on page 2:

It's not about being moderators, it's about being able to post what is on our minds, about helping each other out. If you make a forum post that contributes to nothing whatsoever, isn't it just human to point that out? The forums have rules, most people try to follow those rules. @ Hoff, I don't see why anyone that agrees to those rules wouldn't point out anything that went against them... I may be completely off the mark, but seems like you just don't like being told when you're wrong or going against any rules? Not trying to start anything but that's what it feels like by reading back through your posts.

As I said in the post such a place wouldn't be centered around FTB, it's not about answering questions, it's about the forum being somewhere to talk for something more than just minecraft. The current sections are pitiful.

And again I specifically stated on the first page it's not telling someone what they do is against the rules or directing them to what the rules are. If you need clarification on what I mean by mini-mod please read through the first page. I also specifically stated almost none of it it was against me but what I saw as I read around the forum.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I can't get my head around this. You wrote, that you miss a dedicated "Free for all" (or similar) section in this forum. This forum, which, as we all know, is dedicated to one overshadowing topic: Minecraft and specifically the launcher/modpack called "Feed the beast". Where did this thread derail from "I can't stand the pseudo-mods in here" to "I want to talk about more than just Minecraft, but I can't."? The "General" part of this forum is to "chatter about anything you fancy!" where the "you" does not apply to a single person, but the "community" as a whole. And this community obviously uses the general talk forums - well, to talk MORE Minecraft. Which is fine, see the dedication part above. I think it is a good step to not come here more often, as you seem to search for a kind of forum community this one here is not. I therefore do not see the point in all of this. Obviously, the "community" is not going to change all of a sudden - and with MC 1.5 and the Ultimate pack there's quite enough FTB topics to be talked about. Which of course is, again, not what you are looking for.

The freedom of speech part.. hm, I honestly don't know what I should write about that, other than: A respectful written post does not need any sugar-coating in order to get the message delivered. It's not the question of "How much sugar-coating is needed for me to write something?" but rather "How much sugar-coating does a reader need before he can accept what I wrote, without him kicking the cat due to frustration and/or anger?" and THAT is something that ultimately will never change. I write the way I would want someone else to write if I were the threadopener. Never ran into much trouble with that. And, yet again, I don't see the problem, you seem to have with that. Apart of obvious reasons (insults, childish behaviour, spam, etc), could you show an example of said sugar-coating?

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I don't get why anyone would be against making the forum more a place where everyone that plays minecraft can come talk about it but can also discuss anything else pertaining to their life. I would think the forum would work toward such a "togetherness". As it is now it's just a place to come and discuss a single game we all play. Nothing more, nothing less. That's fine I guess; but why would you not desire to become more?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Couldn't you just make a thread with a disclaimer? I mean, ask a mod first.

SwearCentral: The swearing thread! said:
We swear here, so parents don't let your children see.
Oh, and we talk about nothing, so it's okay you're not missing anything except bad words and the story of my life.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
There was a forum I frequented for several years centered around a module for neverwinter nights. It used to have a flamebait subforum, which was a wonderful place of vitriol and hatred and some of the most creative swearing I've ever seen. It was eventually removed for being boring and useless.

This is a forum for a minecraft mod pack and launcher. People come here for information about the mods, to suggest new mods for modpacks, to follow their favorite modder or youtuber, or to show off their minecraft builds. I have a feeling that if the owners were to implement such a flamebait subforum - it would last a few months and then become boring and useless.

in other words
Cdp52.jpg

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
So basically Hoff what you're saying is that you want an off-topic section? The closest I found to that was the "Other Games" section... That might work, although it might only be visited by a minority. Personally, if I go to a video game's website, I'm going there to read about the video game and either learn something new, or maybe get some entertainment from specific discussions...
Thinking about it further, having an off-topic section actually could be beneficial to the community as long as it is properly moderated. Such a forum section could potentially bring community members closer together through sharing similar interests outside of Minecraft, or provide a place for random discussion that may be more effective than say Yahoo Answers...
Again, as long as such a place would have moderators to keep an eye on what's being thrown out there, such a thing COULD possibly work out for the best.

Also Hoff, let me know if I'm completely off the mark here... I went back and read through this again for clarity, and it seems like we're all just trying to make sense of exactly what it is you're asking. It's easy to misunderstand or mistakenly judge based off some of the posts here, so I apologize if thats what I did. If you just need a place to vent frustrations or share your life with people without having to use a social media outlet, then I'll agree that every forum should have such a place (even if visited infrequently).

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
You're actually right on the mark. If you take a look at a website like playdota it has a very in-depth off-topic section and has in general brought the people on that forum together in a much more sociable way rather than just sharing a single game. There are sections with-in it that are fairly heavily moderated because the things discussed are generally very controversial but some are de-void of moderation and is where most people tend to go to socialize. At times it can be a bit rough but most people generally understand that nothing said there is said in serious-ness. It would need to be more moderated here if there's not like a warning on that part of the forum or something but that would be up to the admins/moderators.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it would be worth trying to start a post directly asking for an off-topic section (with a reference to this thread), and only because it wasn't explicitly stated in the original post. It might help clear up some confusion and / or get more support from other community members that would like the same thing :)

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
But General Dicussion IS off topic. So use that if you want to talk about non-MC related stuff.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Which is why I said the current sections are pitiful and are not used for such.
That's up to you to make it used for what you want.
Everyone wants it for Minecraft? So be it.
You want it for something else? So be it.

You never EVER give into peer pressure.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Sigh. It's pointless to debate any part of it with you if you'd like to look at it that way. People ARE giving in to peer pressure by using it only for minecraft as they see others posting only MC stuff so they assume it's only for minecraft.

A section all it's own for several off-topic type sub-forums is more what I think of.

Besides you're not fooling anyone saying it's for anything when the section right below it is directed solely at "mod" discussion which if that's not a clear cut distinction to be about minecraft I'm an enderman that lays eggs.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
General said:
Generalised chatter about anything you fancy!

I'm not sure what you take general for. Mod discussion: GENERAL mod discussion. General chat? GENERAL general discussion. You could even consider mod discussion about mods NOT in FTB.
But yeah, I can see why you don't feel like arguing, I must be doing something wrong if this simple concept cannot exit this text and enter your brain.

Oh, P.S. If you're looking for more threads, put that somewhere in the title or the OP. Swearing really has little/nothing to do with
A section all it's own for several off-topic type sub-forums
and'll just end up making more work for le mods.

Think about the CHILDREN!

Reactions: Guswut

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I'm not sure what you take general for. Mod discussion: GENERAL mod discussion. General chat? GENERAL general discussion. You could even consider mod discussion about mods NOT in FTB.
But yeah, I can see why you don't feel like arguing, I must be doing something wrong if this simple concept cannot exit this text and enter your brain.

Oh, P.S. If you're looking for more threads, put that somewhere in the title or the OP. Swearing really has little/nothing to do withand'll just end up making more work for le mods.

Think about the CHILDREN!

They are easily understood, by anyone with a simple understanding of the english language, general discussion sections about Minecraft that may not relate to FTB. Nothing beyond that scope really.

Oh and P.S. read through the thread and notice that it changed to that it didn't start as such.

Oh and I hardly notice the mods doing anything here. The community is EXTREMELY tame. I highly doubt moderating such a place would be at all a difficult task having done it myself in the past. If you mean the admins making the area it takes about 5 minutes.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
A place where we're allowed to talk about tekkit?
I seem to have depleted my popcorn reserves on the last few tekkit threads.
I also believe mods do more work then they let on, just in the background ;), hey, you could apply.

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forums/web-feedback.29/
There's also a forum suggestion thread, though I didn't bother to look (cause that's your job now), there may be a thread about redefining the General Chat. Though too many forums will make it harder to get replies on all of them.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I believe General Chat has become something of a "if it doesn't fit into any other specific area, chuck it in general chat"