Haven't been here long but

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
If you feel there are words that you shouldn't use in certain situations to express yourself then we will never see eye to eye. I feel all words are viable to use at all times. I feel if you can't say a word at any given time you should never be able to say it.

Er, no. Some words are nothing but offensive, with no meaning behind them except to BE offensive. If you are just using this forum to use those offensive words then go find a forum dedicated to swearing, flaming, trolling and foul language. Or did you forget the age of alot of the forum users on here? If you can't moderate yourself then others will do it for you, since that kind of attitude lacks any common sense of decency.

I live in the east end of london, swearing is almost a second dialect of english round here, I myself have a VERY colourful internal dictionary. But I know never to use it on a forum if I wish to remain on that forum, especially when younger users are about or others who are easily offended. You forget something important, the internet has no tone of voice, no body language and no context. ANYTHING you say can misread or misinterpreted, becareful what you type.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Er, no. Some words are nothing but offensive, with no meaning behind them except to BE offensive. If you are just using this forum to use those offensive words then go find a forum dedicated to swearing, flaming, trolling and foul language. Or did you forget the age of alot of the forum users on here? If you can't moderate yourself then others will do it for you, since that kind of attitude lacks any common sense of decency.

I live in the east end of london, swearing is almost a second dialect of english round here, I myself have a VERY colourful internal dictionary. But I know never to use it on a forum if I wish to remain on that forum, especially when younger users are about or others who are easily offended. You forget something important, the internet has no tone of voice, no body language and no context. ANYTHING you say can misread or misinterpreted, becareful what you type.
You should read my previous posts about children on forums.

As for easily offended people; Fuck 'em. If you can't handle someone who you'll never meet and ultimately has no real effect on your life writing some words on the internet, get off the internet.

There is no valid reason to operate under a pretense of formality using the guise of a child-friendly atmosphere.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Liberal swearing is fine, but it does get to the point where you become obnoxious and rude when you swear all the time. Disregard the "child friendly" atmosphere and easily offended people, sure.. but at least be civil and considerate about it. So far on this board in particular, I've seen just that- casual swearing where it fits into the conversation- and it's fine.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
If you feel there are words that you shouldn't use in certain situations to express yourself then we will never see eye to eye. I feel all words are viable to use at all times. I feel if you can't say a word at any given time you should never be able to say it.
I would love to watch you during a job interview.

Fact of the matter is, there are different vocabularies we use in different situations. You talk to your friends differently from your boss and differently from a stranger you just met. Another example: I wouldn't use technical terms from my profession when talking to somebody who doesn't know a thing about it. It's not because I consider them rude or offensive, but because the other person would not understand what I mean by them.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
As for easily offended people; Fuck 'em. If you can't handle someone who you'll never meet and ultimately has no real effect on your life writing some words on the internet, get off the internet.

Now see this is where we take exception. You're drawing this imaginary line between yourself and your "internet presented self." Like somehow I should think of you as less of a person because you're somewhere typing words onto a keyboard. Hardening the eff up is an important internet skill, but this is weak justification for you somehow suggesting that just because our communication is dis-intermediated that no one should ever be hurt by what you say.

Your actions on this forum–or most any mode of communication–carry weight. Humans are social. I get the impression that you're not the sort of person who has anything to say to me. That's fine, I probably bore you too. I don't think you're somehow a not-person. I still expect you to hold to the most basic social norms that allow us to walk around daily and interact reasonably with society.

There is no valid reason to operate under a pretense of formality using the guise of a child-friendly atmosphere.

Well then let's put it this way: you do what you want. We'll all ignore and ostracize you for it. This is "free speech." You get to express yourself, and we get to expres ourselves by reporting you, asking you to stop, and perhaps a moderator banning you. Just because you have a right to express yourself doesn't mean you have a right to transcend social consequences.

And as for child-friendliness? While you and I may think it is unwise to shield children from the world, it's ultimately not our choice to make unless we're the parents. Minecraft is a game with a large following of very young players. Taking just a bit of care with your language is one of those basic common principles that the western world's adults hold to, as an act of simple respect to the parents of said children.

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a simple question: Did you ever gain anything from cursing? Other than the thought of "yeah, I showed him/her! Take that you *bleep*!".

I never gained anything from cursing. Yeah it's great to release some frustration sometimes, but that's it. And there are plenty of other ways to release that frustration without having to project it on others, through exercise for example.

Tolgrimm

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, this thread. I'm struggling with a response - just want to say that I hope the forums WON'T change. I'm almost at a loss for words here regarding Hoff's "complaint".

Reactions: whythisname

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
The thread was necro'd (2 months old) whilst this is not necessarily a good thing to do it shows people are using the search function :D now they only need to look at the date of posts too and we're sorted :p

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Now see this is where we take exception. You're drawing this imaginary line between yourself and your "internet presented self." Like somehow I should think of you as less of a person because you're somewhere typing words onto a keyboard. Hardening the eff up is an important internet skill, but this is weak justification for you somehow suggesting that just because our communication is dis-intermediated that no one should ever be hurt by what you say.

Your actions on this forum–or most any mode of communication–carry weight. Humans are social. I get the impression that you're not the sort of person who has anything to say to me. That's fine, I probably bore you too. I don't think you're somehow a not-person. I still expect you to hold to the most basic social norms that allow us to walk around daily and interact reasonably with society.

Well then let's put it this way: you do what you want. We'll all ignore and ostracize you for it. This is "free speech." You get to express yourself, and we get to expres ourselves by reporting you, asking you to stop, and perhaps a moderator banning you. Just because you have a right to express yourself doesn't mean you have a right to transcend social consequences.

And as for child-friendliness? While you and I may think it is unwise to shield children from the world, it's ultimately not our choice to make unless we're the parents. Minecraft is a game with a large following of very young players. Taking just a bit of care with your language is one of those basic common principles that the western world's adults hold to, as an act of simple respect to the parents of said children.

As a parent of one of these children that might get exposed to such vitriol i am thankful for all the times people show restraint, I might not know when and how much restraint people have exercised, but I'm still grateful for it. I want my child to be able to frequent this forum for information and inspiration about a game she enjoys playing as much as I do.
She is a 10 year old child. she have no need to learn foul language at a time in her life when she has enough work cut out for her just learning English in general.
I might be a Hardened Viking internet warrior myself, but she ain't. And she shouldn't have to be one either.
So yeah. I'l battleaxe smash that report button if I find language that is unnecessarily offensive in nature.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes I wish the forum had an auto-lock for threads which go for 2 weeks with no replies.

(Actually, most times.)

sometimes new information or opinions get's added. necroing a 2 month old thread is not a big sin in my book. it's much better than making yet another one of the same type just because one want's to add to something said a while ago.

As far as zombie threads go, this one seem to be a rather successful Resurrection. I hardly noticed the dates on the first page til it was too late.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to point out forums don't have free-speech, that's an american law that doesn't carry any weight on the WORLD wide web, the rules that govern this forum are those you agreed to on the terms and agreement. And by agreeing to them you abide by them or get banned. As for swearing it doesn't do anything to language as a whole, use a thesaurus, there are words that actually have meaning that would work just aswell or better, without being offensive.

Your entire argument seem to be that you are an offensive, venemous and hate filled person with no regard for others who want's permission to offend others and use all the bad langauge they can. Well you don't need permission to be like that since you obviously are, but that doesn't mean we have to like or tolerate it. You're a minority with some obviously flawed personality traits and no self control if you can't stay civil, why the entire population of the forum should make allowances for you I have no idea.

And yes i've been insulting, without swearing, but you aren't a very nice person and frankly with your current attitude i'd be happy to see the mods remove you from the forum.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
purplefantum, Let's not resort to absolutes and extremes. You're stooping to the very level that you're ranting about..

Also, please don't be naive about swearing. Swearing is a very effective way of communicating when used correctly.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not naive, swearing is fine, but it's not allowed on these forums. It's not a matter of naivity it's a matter of what is acceptable here. Or did you not read my first post where I mention I have no personal problems with swearing. My point is there is no NEED to swear, and when it's not allowed, you shouldn't. If your volcabulary lacks the variaty to communicate without it then that's a personal problem.

And it's not just a matter of swearing it's the context in which the OP says he wishes to use it to offend people and does not infact care that he does. That is my major issue, noone should be given the right to offend others without repocussions.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to be a heavily overlooked rule then, as I haven't seen any repercussions for the amount of swearing that goes on in this subforum.

Sure there's no NEED to swear, just as there's no NEED to eat fast food, or buy fast cars, or whatever.

"When it's not allowed, you shouldn't".. because everyone drives the speed limit, right?

I don't disagree that actively trying to offend people is alright, because it's not.

purplefantum

Jul 29, 2019
Then I guess i'm the minority when it comes to obeying the laws and rules. But at least you agree on my main point, although my posts may have been long winded and possible abit OTT, I won't appologise for defending the forums integrity from trolls and griefers who would bring nothing good to it.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't ask you to apologize for that. I won't say majority or minority, but a good portion of those who obey the rules aren't always vocal about it. It's usually those with something negative to say that are the loudest.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
You should read my previous posts about children on forums.

How about not wanting drama on your forum?

Look, maybe where you're from swearing is the norm - in my workplace swearing is normal too. Outside my workplace and especially around children (or when children are in teh workplace) I will not swear and neither will others. Saying that a lot of kids learn swear words anyway is not an excuse, as then you're no better than a child. It is a social norm in a lot of places - and in a lot of forums - to keep swearing only where appropriate, or none at all.

A little swearing will do you fine, as long as it isn't intended to offend. The problem is a lot of forum discussion is 2 sides of an argument, that means that it is easy to offend if you use words that's use are to offend.

So to recap:

We are not formal here, we are child friendly. Having some semblance of manners towards other people is not formality, it's just expectations in most internet communities (go to /b/ if you wish differently) to have some level of social etiquette depending on the community at hand. Our community frequently involves people below 14. At a pure guess I'd say it's the youngest large (globally) gaming community around. Makes me feel like a dinosaur merely for mentioning *work*. By that community I mean the minecraft community.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
So most arguments about my feelings about cussing would get voided if we went with the following idea I posted in response to one of the moderators; no?

Then may I suggest a type of "random chat" or "etc. chat" or something similar where it is expected the content will be 18+

It allows you(As the whole appearance of the forums) to maintain the friendly, helpful style while also providing a place for those who are of mature age and/or mind. For the moderators part refer to this quote below.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
So most arguments about my feelings about cussing would get voided if we went with the following idea I posted in response to one of the moderators; no?

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/forums/general-discussion.9/ should work for that, no? And that aside, I do not believe attempting to petition or discuss a way to get vulgarity included as an allowable aspect of this site is the right way to go around doing that.

I do not believe there is a "right" way, though, because it seems to be an extremely vertical, that is to say, uphill battle to do as much. Good luck!