Have bees in 1.10 Forestry stopped to produce their specialty completely?

Emerald_Chicken

Jul 29, 2019
So this is my problem: I'm running FTB Beyond 1.10, and I want my Emerald and Diamond bees to produce.. emeralds and diamonds. To do that, they make use of their specialty. And in order to make use of their specialty, the bees need to be in the perfect circumstances. I think I have done that, but still no diamonds and emeralds. Just crystal combs :(

D3bk8W3.png

Am I doing something wrong here? Or is Forestry simply bugged in 1.10?

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
I don't think emerald producing bees where ever a part of forestry. In 1.7.10 there was this forestry add-on called "extra bees", a part of Binnie's mod, that added these. There is also the "magical bees" add-on.
Binnie's mod doesn't have a 1.10 version, though there exist an add-on called "more bees." Magical bees does have a 1.10 version.

This means that the emerald bees are either a part of "more bees" or "magical bees." (and yes, the bees will still say they are from forestry, that is because the add-ons make use of the forestry bee's item and just add possible features to them)

I can't directly solve your problem but this information may help you narrow it down.

Emerald_Chicken

Jul 29, 2019
I see. Thanks for narrowing it down for me. I think the applicable mod is More Bees, since Magical Bees is not a part of FTB Beyond (which is the pack I'm playing with). Though it could still be something wrong with Forestry as well I guess, since the specialty mechanic was something put into place by Forestry, and not by an addon.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I believe it's tweaked so now the combs are what produces the emerald shards, rather than the bee's themselves, I think it's to keep them from clogging the Apiaries. Toss the combs through a Centrifuge and that should throw up shards.

LoGaL

Aug 4, 2013
Emerald_chicken, what's the productivity trait of those bees? The chance of producing an emerald shard is probably very low already and coupled with a possibly very low productivity(it wouldn't surprise me) you get close to zero emerald shards

Emerald_Chicken

Jul 29, 2019
That's not how it works according to JEI. Should just get Emerald shards.

Attachments

• 2017-05-25_16.15.11.png
    2017-05-25_16.15.11.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 38

Emerald_Chicken

Jul 29, 2019
OK, this is based purely on someones Beyond LP I've been watching (https://www.youtube.com/krakaen, if you want to see it yourself), but he has an emerald BLOCK rather than an emerald ORE block under his apiary, and its producing the shards - likewise for diamonds. Worth a try?

It appears we have a winner! Thank you, Gamerwithnogame.

Yes, a block of emerald needs to be directly below the (industrial) apiary in order for the bees to create their specialty. That's what ultimately made me able to produce emerald shards using the setup I showcased in the OP.

Here's why this - relatively simple - fix confused me: emeralds blocks AND emerald ores around the apiaries do count as flowers, so the bees get to work. However, no emerald shards will be produced unless there is an emerald block beneath the apiary itself. Anywhere else in the vicinity of the apiaries is just not good enough to get the shards. The apiaries are really picky about where this emerald block stands - that's where I went wrong.

Thanks everybody for looking into this issue.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
It appears we have a winner! Thank you, Gamerwithnogame.

Yes, a block of emerald needs to be directly below the (industrial) apiary in order for the bees to create their specialty. That's what ultimately made me able to produce emerald shards using the setup I showcased in the OP.

Here's why this - relatively simple - fix confused me: emeralds blocks AND emerald ores around the apiaries do count as flowers, so the bees get to work. However, no emerald shards will be produced unless there is an emerald block beneath the apiary itself. Anywhere else in the vicinity of the apiaries is just not good enough to get the shards. The apiaries are really picky about where this emerald block stands - that's where I went wrong.

Thanks everybody for looking into this issue.
Glad I could help :)