Has anyone upgraded their world to Ultimate?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just wondering whether anyone has upgraded their world to Ultimate (either from Direwolf or Mindcrack packs, although Mindcrack is what we've got currently with a couple of mods added from DW pack) yet, or are most of you starting over/sticking with what you were using?

I think we're upgrading our server tonight, and just wondering whether anyone encountered any pitfalls, or whether everything was smooth and without a hitch. We're (obviously) backing it up just in case, and TBH if it doesn't work I don't have a huge issue with starting over again, but it would be nice to keep the progress we've made so far.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just wondering whether anyone has upgraded their world to Ultimate (either from Direwolf or Mindcrack packs, although Mindcrack is what we've got currently with a couple of mods added from DW pack) yet, or are most of you starting over/sticking with what you were using?

I tested upgrading a three month old MindCrack world to Ultimate, and it worked fine. But I started a new server with a few dozen more mods over what Ultimate adds, and with a three month old GregTech world most of us had hit endgame godmode so a restart was in order.

You shouldn't have any problems upgrading your world though, but restarting is nice if you are far enough along that it makes sense to get a new world feel.

Rednpd

Jul 29, 2019
I've moved my server over and have had no issues so far. We'll see how the rest of the day goes.

I used MCedit on our save file and redid and pruned a lot of the useless chunks (chunks which were basically generated and not built on or mined in).
I know mystcraft is an option for new ores (will likely set up a quarry age) but i still like having the option to mine ores in the overworld (in existing chunks)

edit: save file is mega old

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Something to remember: BACKUPS! Seriously now, backup your world/mods/config before making any change to it. Then, if need be, roll back to your last backup.

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
Something to remember: BACKUPS! Seriously now, backup your world/mods/config before making any change to it. Then, if need be, roll back to your last backup.
Lol. I made a 150,000 block journey in my world resulting in a 3gb save. Sad part is, I tried to copy it but I couldn't due to some bullsh*t error. Now I stand with a corrupted save with 4 months of play. Oh how I miss my 13 stacks of diamond blocks and my set of 8 fusion reactors :mad::mad:

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Lol. I made a 150,000 block journey in my world resulting in a 3gb save. Sad part is, I tried to copy it but I couldn't due to some bullsh*t error. Now I stand with a corrupted save with 4 months of play. Oh how I miss my 13 stacks of diamond blocks and my set of 8 fusion reactors :mad::mad:

That's bothersome, but what happens when you don't make backups more often. Try and backup your NEW world every day, so that way if it ends up becoming corrupted, you can revert to your last good backup.

There is also software that automates backups if that helps. Feel free to ask after it if you want a link to the software I use.

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019

Agreed, that's why I mentioned backing it up in the op. ;)

Geometry

Jul 29, 2019
That's bothersome, but what happens when you don't make backups more often. Try and backup your NEW world every day, so that way if it ends up becoming corrupted, you can revert to your last good backup.

There is also software that automates backups if that helps. Feel free to ask after it if you want a link to the software I use.
I have mcsave but it didn't help :( I'm just so mad about losing my fusion reactors! Man those things are a pain in the neck:mad: Guess I'll get over it

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, that's why I mentioned backing it up in the op. ;)

Yeah, you're good, but I started to see other people post, my SysAdmin subroutine kicked in, and there I go talking about backups again.

Backups!

Ack, sorry, it kicked in again. It's like Tourette Syndrome, I swear!

I have mcsave but it didn't help :( I'm just so mad about losing my fusion reactors! Man those things are a pain in the neck:mad: Guess I'll get over it
You'll just have to build two more now, to replace the last one.

Reactions: Skirty_007

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
guswut could i have that link itd be quite helpful thanks

Certainly. It's called ForgeBackup (http://www.minecraftforge.net/forum/index.php?topic=4606.0) and it is an extremely powerful piece of software. You can tell it how many backups to keep, where to backup to, and things like that.

Also, in the future, please use the "reply" feature so that when you reply it quotes me as that sends an alert to me, which I then get and know to check up on the thread. It's one of the best ways to make sure I see your question. Thanks!

Reactions: OmegaPython

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
Well all seems well, the only issue we seem to have is with misc peripherals, it seems to not be loading (so I just went and restarted a mining turtle that I thought was chunk loaded, and ran off... and it's not, oops). Not a big deal, as things go. Investigating just now...

ETA: In case anyone was worrying about this affecting their world, my turtle is fine, the panic was all over a tank turtle that has started behaving strangely, but we seem to be at the root of the issue (it had a different liquid inside than it should have). So, no reason to think you're going to have issues!

Reactions: Rednpd