Has anyone good deep into OpenComputers

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
This mod is fascinating me.

But I'd like to know, has anyone here gone deep into OpenComputers or know of a good resource for really getting into OpenComputers?

I want to see if I can get Robots to go and harvest my Pam's Tree Plantation (Lots of Pam's harvestcraft trees).

-Wuffle!

Last edited:
K

Kiama

Before you invest a lot of time in that, you might want to look into OpenComputers and decide which one you are more interested in. Technically you don't have to do one or the other but you might feel you had wasted your time after discovering that a similar mod that better suits you exists, which requires you to relearn everything.

Personally, I love the simulation of hardware rather than just software that OpenComputers does. You get to craft friggin graphics cards, and they determine your screen's resolution and color depth. Which casing you craft determines which components you can fit. Want to connect your computer to a network? You'll need a network card. Want to connect wirelessly? You'll need a wireless network card. Want to connect to the actual internet? You'll need an internet card. I believe it is even possible to communicate between computers in two different servers with a bit of additional help from an external program. There's loads more aspects like that. I also think it is much more survival-friendly if gated properly like in Infitech 2. But if you just want to code, ComputerCraft will probably make your life easier.

Reactions: WuffleFluffy

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Also, aren't there different "languages" available in OpenComputers? I know ComputerCraft uses LUA, which until Minecraft I'd only seen used to write macros for high-end keyboards and controllers.

I wasn't around then but I understand the first "Programmable" mod used Forth, which I'm a fan of. I've thought that if I ever decide to play with Java it might be fun to create a mod simulating one of the original personal computers, like an Altair 8800 or an Imsai 8080... Out of the box (after you put it together) the only I/O was toggle switches and LEDs but add a terminal, some other I/O and an OS like CP/m and you could write in any language from Assembler to C, maybe even C++.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
HI All, Must apologise.. It's OpenComputers that I was talking about!

I got my mods all mixed up.

I'm thinking that complex automation tasks and reactor management would be a lot easier with OpenComputers, now that my mining operations have created massive amounts of resources form me to work with.

-Wuffle!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
OpenComputers and ComputerCraft both use Lua for the language. But the methods and properties used by each are different. For example the redstone library (commands) between the two are like night and day. They are different enough that I really don't care for OpenComputers. 90% of my ComputerCraft programs are used for redstone control and none of it will work with OpenComputer without sever rewrite of the line that use redstone.

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
OpenComputers and ComputerCraft both use Lua for the language. But the methods and properties used by each are different. For example the redstone library (commands) between the two are like night and day. They are different enough that I really don't care for OpenComputers. 90% of my ComputerCraft programs are used for redstone control and none of it will work with OpenComputer without sever rewrite of the line that use redstone.

That sounds very interesting, what sort of things do you use Computers for? Very interested in RedStone control etc.
I am thinking that Computers in MineCraft can be used to do a great many things.

Do you have examples/screenshots? I'd love to see something you've done with ComputerCraft.

-Wuffle!

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Example yes... But none of it works in 1.10.2. But I've used it for various door controllers where I wanted to sequence it. Based off of DW20's work I've setup multiple mana bean to essentia jars. Light sequencing, mystcraft portals, buildings, quarry, GPS placment in the sky. Oh and various touch screen mob farm controllers. I even went as far as to control AE's auto crafting system into keep a certain stock of processesors, glass and other materials that were components of other crafting.

AE Auto crafting in 1.6.4: https://pastebin.com/aTvRPuJt
AE Crystal growth via turtle: https://pastebin.com/MrzGBPZB
Big reactors controller: https://pastebin.com/6Ai6j6KJ
Light sequencer: https://pastebin.com/Qqtwwkz8
Another light sequencer: https://pastebin.com/RLYfkivS

That is all stuff I wrote. I don't want to list any of the DW20 stuff I've copied then heavily modified. His touch screen button API while functional was missing a lot of needed features and a little buggy.

2015-09-11_20.32.59.png

H

Hydrametr0nice

Hi. Henry Link, I know this post is very old but I would like to know if you were able to write the Essentia Refill System with OpenComputer :) Hope you see this

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
No and I wouldn't want to. Like I said even though the base language is the same LUA. However, all of the library calls are different. Also, the mods have moved on. Like there is no need for an essentia system anymore with the 1.7.10 version of Thaumcraft. Much easier to use the tools built into Thaumcraft or the mod that integrates AE with Thaumcraft. In addition that essentia system was originally written by DireWolf20 and it was very complicated. While I understood pieces of it at the time. I'm not about to do a rewrite of something he made.

Also, all of the code I did write was to fill a need I had at the time I wrote it. So my best suggestion to you is if you have a need like this is do it yourself. The need gives you motivation to learn how to do it. Once it is completed there is a great sense of accomplishment that goes with it. That one that did AE stocking levels was one of the best programs I wrote.

H

Hydrametr0nice

Oh I didn't know that mod existed. I still want to learn more about OpenComputers and I'm sure I will. Thanks :)