Hard-coded key bindings?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
I've been digging around quite a bit, but it's really difficult to search because I'm looking for the letter C. :rolleyes:

I've been using the C key for sneak (crouch) in every game I've ever played that has a crouch feature. It appears that there's a mod in many of the 1.7.10-based packs that seizes that key and will not surrender it. I've made sure there aren't any conflicts in any key binding settings that I can find, but using C for sneak just doesn't work for me in Alpha FTB Mage Quest, Unstable 1.7.x, and every 3rd party 1.7.10-based pack I've tried. Alpha FTBLite 3, Pax Prime 2014, and Vanilla seem to be the only versions that let me do it.

Before I go on a long testing session, has anyone else run into this and figured out what mod is being so rude?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Actually there are many mods that use the letter "C"... The problem is that some mods actually use a separate key to enter a menu where you redefine it's keys, and therefore that definition doesn't even appear in the "command" section of the options menu.

Watching Slowpoke and Co. streaming the first day of Alpha on the new FtB pack today (code named "Resurrection", btw) I think they ran into the issue. Someone mentioned a mod called "Too many Keys" that sounded like it might be a mod that collects all the definitions into one place. I'm going to look it up myself for this very reason.

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I was thinking that too. I dug through all the ones I could find, but no luck. I personally find that kind of behavior to be rather inconsiderate to the user. My rule of thumb is if something confuses or causes problems for the user for any reason, it's a bug and needs to be fixed. Maybe another commandment should be added to the Minecraft modders' bible:

"Thou shalt not hide thy keybindings behind custom interfaces."

You might be thinking of Not Enough Keys by Mr_okushama. No word on whether that's going to be updated to 1.7.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
That could be the one...

I wouldn't mind seeing a set of "common" key definitions... I.E. just like W-A-S-D is standard (but re-definable), the "M" key, for example, always pulls up your map, whichever one you decide to use. This would greatly simplify the user experience when moving from pack to pack.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
or a mod that allows exporting and importing them all into a single file that I can move around my installs

I play on a azerty keyboard so I always need to spend some time updating my keybindings from wasd to zqsd and removing the sort inventory on R amongst others each time I try a new pack or update it and I didn't select the right option concerning the configs

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I would like to import/export key assignments as well. Not only would a printed/editable "chart" make it easier to find and change duplicates, but a lot of keyboards have additional capabilities such as backlighting, both mono and RGB, that could be programmed with such a file.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
On this topic... Something I think would be cool...
A key selection "hub" in the FTB launcher, that looks at the mod lists of all FTB packs (not the 3rd party ones, 'cus that's just ridiculous for this sorta thing) and puts EVERY mod into a GUI where you can enter a key. And ANY pack that has that mod (FTB or 3rd party) will have the default key changed, assuming you bound one.
So if you set the hats key menu button to \ then in EVERY pack, you will now press \ and voila, hats menu. No more delving around and having to reset every key (for the hundredth time) when you start a new pack...

Reactions: Guiler Leoni

Bitty

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, some kind of centralized keybind management would be ideal. Even a basic import/export feature would be good. It really does suck to have to go through that process for each and every pack.[DOUBLEPOST=1414960215,1414686725][/DOUBLEPOST]With the release of the DW20 pack, I decided to dig into the issue a little more because I'm still seeing the issue. I was hoping that the mod that was causing it would be updated with a fix.

Long story short, Translocators by Chickenbones appears to be the culprit, specifically the Crafting Grid functionality. It took a lot of stop/enable mod/start/delete world/create new world to figure it out, but it's definitely Translocators. Changing the Crafting Grid keybind to anything else does nothing to resolve the issue. I've posted the problem on the official thread over on the Minecraft forums, so hopefully it'll get resolved soon.