Gunpowder?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Davykinz

Jul 29, 2019
Been needing a lot of gunpowder to make iridium plates...
I remembered there was a research for gunpowder on Thaumcraft so i did that. I put in the necessary aspects and used my wand but nothing happened..
whats the best way to make gunpowder in general??

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Auto-Spawner with a Creeper or Tier 5 Creeper Soul Cage plus a Grinder or other method of drop collection is the best way to mass produce gunpowder. :p

Alternatively, you can breed some Austere Bees and automate their production. The Thaumcraft recipe is useful if you need a fairly small amount of gunpowder very quickly, but, is way too tedious for mass production.

If you're playing 1.5 with Natura, you can try collecting Sulfur Clouds in the Nether and crafting them into gunpowder.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
Pulverize cobble for sand.

Compress or auto-craft sand into sandstone.

Pulverize sandstone, 10% chance for niter.

Niter, coal dust and sulfur combined to make about 3 gunpowder (if I remember correctly)

Have one of those gunpowder smelted into gunpowder.

Mods needed:
XyCraft
Thermal Expansion
IC2 (depending on what you do)
BuildCraft (Depending on what you do, or for automation)
Can't remember what mod adds the gunpowder recipe from niter coal dust and sulfur. Sorry.

aaninja64

Jul 29, 2019
I'm guessing either your pack doesn't have Thaumcraft, or you didn't research the Gunpowder transmutation in your Thauminominominominomicon before you put your aspects in the crucible.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, almost forgot. If you're going the mob farm route, you're better off farming witches than creepers, since they drop redstone and glowstone as well as gunpowder. :)

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could throw tons of netherrack into a crucible and right click it with a wand for it. That's what i use. (mind the flux)

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
He says he's tried Thaumcraft, but it "didn't work" (he's probably doing something wrong)

Not really sure what this has to do with my question regarding the suggestion that his pack lacks Thaumcraft when the OP specifically states he possesses at least two items from Thaumcraft, which unless there's another mod that adds those items indicates that yes, he does, in fact, have Thaumcraft installed.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
For the long term, I just have a mob farm going. If you build it early enough in your game, you will have more than enough for your industrial TNT needs. At the start you have the ability to build these farms, but not to produce iridium plates. The slow, but steady accumulation should leave you with a stockpile that lasts through your mid-to-late game, when which you should have the resources/ability to take any production route to fill your ITNT needs then.

Davykinz

Jul 29, 2019
Im pretty sure im doing thaumcraft right because i've completed and used a lot of the upper tier researches.
gunpowder is like what one of the first ones i believe. I think i put in 1 furnace and 3 coal for the 6 fractus and 6 ignis.

also creeper farm i could do but it would take me forever to get a tier 5 creeper shard since there are no creeper spawners :/

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
go to the nether with your advanced drill and fill up your inventory with soul sand. centrifuge the soul sand for saltperer (plus bonus oil!). combine saltpeter, charcoal dust, and sulfur (which you can have lots of already via galena quarry grinding) for gunpowder.

A full inventory of soul sand plus a canvas bag will take you through about 2 stacks of iridium plates.