GT Distillation Tower

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
I was just poking around in NEI, looking for more stuff to add to my factory, and I came across this little gem. Apparently it can be used to make biofuel at a 2:1 ratio, which seems pretty snazzy. The only problem is that it requires 16 advanced machine casings to go with it (which translates to 48 chrome, or 432 rubies). The EU investment per operation (16 biomass cells into 8 biodiesel cells) is quite modest, though, only 12,800 EU, and it only takes 20 seconds. Does anyone have any experience using this?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
I primarily use mine for actual fuel production from oil. It's all as you say though. It's extremely expensive to build, but provides more biofuel than the alternatives. Don't forget the 20 titanium.

Note that it cannot accept liquid directly. It must be in IC2 cells, and the output also comes in cells. You can use a xytank IO port to fill cells with great speed, but must use a liquid transposer to empty the resulting product or you will lose the cells (and the tin to make them)

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Considering Gregorius has liquid support on some of his other machines, like the industrial centrifuge, industrial grinder, and a couple of his generators, it's kind of surprising he doesn't have it here. Granted, it's not too difficult to automate a liquid transposer, but based on a little derping around in creative, you'd probably need two or three transposers to keep up with the output of 4 distillation tower blocks around a 3x3x5 multiblock.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Do not get excited. Check the energy cost compared to what you can get back from it. Compare that to other methods.

Greg really seems to hate fuel for some reason.

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Do not get excited. Check the energy cost compared to what you can get back from it. Compare that to other methods.

Greg really seems to hate fuel for some reason.

Yeah, using this for EU generation is out of the question, but the biofuel is pretty good for MJ generation - 5.0 MJ/t for 40000 ticks (200,000 MJ total per bucket) in a combustion engine, and 32k heat in a liquid fueled boiler.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, using this for EU generation is out of the question, but the biofuel is pretty good for MJ generation - 5.0 MJ/t for 40000 ticks (200,000 MJ total per bucket) in a combustion engine, and 32k heat in a liquid fueled boiler.

Ture but to be honest biomass and biofuel is one of them things you can just go bigger in mod instead of going this route. If you got the mats and you want to do the build more power to you. But if your just want lots of fuel I'd go with just upscaling your farm/fermenter/still combo instead.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, using this for EU generation is out of the question

Seriously, what? It's a profit of 116k EU in 20 seconds. Hell, if you're just doing biomass, you can even run the tower off a batbox.

Compared to generating biofuel in a still which is basically zero sum, and only recommended if you're using it in a boiler (where you have to use biofuel instead of biomass) This is Greg hating fuel?

CodaPDX

Jul 29, 2019
Given the tech level that's necessary to craft one of these things, I don't think it will ever be anything other than a "fun" project. If it took reinforced casings instead of advanced casings, I think it could be a semi-viable way to make a midgame shift to renewable MJ power.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Given the tech level that's necessary to craft one of these things, I don't think it will ever be anything other than a "fun" project. If it took reinforced casings instead of advanced casings, I think it could be a semi-viable way to make a midgame shift to renewable MJ power.

Shrug. It's not intended to be your midgame shift. It's ended to be better, with startup costs to suit. And it is the only conversion from biomass to biofuel that is not damn near energy neutral. (The refinery is actually worse than energy neutral)

Note that the cost listed is for the first machine head, and the tower of machine casings can hold four such machine heads with the only significant cost of 4 chrome and 4 titanium per additional head. Each one can generate that 116k EU profit every 20 seconds running off 32EU/t each.

If you're feeling particularly stingy, you can share casings between the tower and a blast furnace.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
And I totaly suggest going for fun builds. Heck thats the big reason people should be playing in the frist place.[DOUBLEPOST=1365994805][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you're feeling particularly stingy, you can share casings between the tower and a blast furnace.

LOL man thats a good mental image. Blast Furnace on one side Fuel making tower on the other. Only in MC does such logic work.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
And I totaly suggest going for fun builds. Heck thats the big reason people should be playing in the frist place.[DOUBLEPOST=1365994805][/DOUBLEPOST]

LOL man thats a good mental image. Blast Furnace on one side Fuel making tower on the other. Only in MC does such logic work.

I actually have a "wall of Gregtech"... shared casings between an industrial blast furnace, industrial grinder, and implosion compressor. I think it's as optimised as possible. :)

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to be able to fill the bioreactor with different types of plants using AE... I think, it's a bit hard to do for now