GROWLE'S IMPROMPTU GUIDE TO SOULS, RANDOM EXPLORATION, & "STUFF"

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not an expert on Minecraft or FTB, but I'm usually pretty good at answering my friends' questions in regard to most things associated w/ this game. I attribute it to having too much time on my hands at work and at home, but I also really like knowing what's going on in any game I play and being able to share that knowledge whenever possible. With that being said, I put this together as a reply to another post but ended up writing far more than I intended to. I don't think my format is excellent, and I could probably fix some wording / grammar but I tried! So here it is, my first and only impromptu guide to random exploration and stuff! :D

GROWLE'S IMPROMPTU GUIDE TO RANDOM EXPLORATION & "STUFF"

note: I am currently using the Ultimate modpack, and besides that have only played Mindcrack and Vanilla. I also use Sphax BDCraft texturepack so if I mention anything that sounds off in terms of appearance, that may be a reason.

Unrelated to crafting, exploration / adventuring can still give you a very large early game advantage, so make sure when traveling that you investigate any potential loot areas! Often overlooked by many, opening your large area map and zooming all the way out once in awhile (default key X in packs I use, Z is for zoom) will help you spot potentially hidden / obstructed structures. The few things to keep an eye out for are not always obvious, but over time you will start spotting them easily.
Before gettting started on the meat of this "guide" I'd like to point out that I make it a priority to get a soul forge up ASAP due to the presence of soul cages in some of these areas, as well as the enormous advantages that soul shards can afford in the early / mid game. Considering you need some obsidian, soul sand, glowstone and at least 1 diamond, this may not be immediately feasible, but all you really have to do is get some iron armor, weapon of your choice, and find a ravine that has a few diamonds, or do a little digging...I make a diamond pick and equip it on a very easy to make mining turtle. "But Growle, 3 diamonds and some redstone are endgame!" I've heard people talk about the difficulty in obtaining diamond. Truth is, ravines are everywhere and any cave that takes you down to diamond level will invariably have diamonds, redstone, and whatever else is useful for you at the time. Depending on your game's difficulty setting, getting most mats is very easy with a healthy set of brass balls (yes, that is in bold). When starting a new map I will often find myself deep inside one of these caves with nothing but stone tools, a crafting table, 4 torches, and fully clenched cheeks. Loosen up though, we're here to have fun!

The following is what I normally do to maximize my exploration / adventuring experience and is in no way indicative of what SHOULD be done, as everyone plays differently. That being said, if you're not using exploits or cheaty methods, I recommend you maximize your early game potential by (at the very least) taking various approaches into consideration.

After some short forays into the wilderness around the spawnpoint I usually make a temporary home, but only if alone. If I somehow managed to convince one of my minecraft buddies to play, then I usually end up following them, if only to appeal to their overwhelming wanderlust...Basically (and this applies to two of them), if they don't find a place they LOVE from day one, they will forever regret their decision until they finally shut up and move...much to my chagrin.
After finding a place I do all the regular stuff, set up a bed, furnace, chests etc...As much as materials allow. Once I have some basic armor and tools, I head right back out, with my next (not so lofty) goal of getting a mining turtle or 2, obtaining nether / twilight access, and setting up the aforementioned soul forge. First I will go into the mining turtle, since they are easy to make and run, but many people still avoid them due to the stigma associated with LUA programming or whatever...Well, GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! You don't have to be a member of MENSA to run these puppies (but it does help).

Mining turtle basics (if you plan on making one): I will annotate any command which can have a variable number in parentheses...
These are an important starting tool in MY PERSONAL arsenal, and these amazingly affordable minions only require only 2 (very easy) commands. They are:
Excavate (#), or tunnel (#) with the number being any number you like, and a space between the word and the number. I will present an example...In any random area, place a wooden chest, and make sure the turtle's backside is against any side of that chest when you set him down. Provide your turtle some fuel, at this point it's easy to just use a little bit of coal / charcoal. Type your command (excavate or tunnel). The excavate function will dig a hole the width of the number you specify, so by typing "excavate 3," your turtle will dig down in a 3x3 hole, or if you input "excavate 7," he will dig a 7x7 hole. The chest is there for the turtle to dump its goods when its internal inventory fills up. The reason you have a diamond pick on this guy is because it allows him to instantly mine obsidian, without it dropping into lava by accident. In the time it would take you to mine 1 block of obsidian w/ a diamond pick, you could have set down a turtle and sent him on his way to collect that stuff for you while you sit back and cackle maniacally while sipping on your craft ale (cackling / consumption of alcoholic beverages is optional).

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
AMAZING! you have obsidian, a diamond, and you're itching to move forward. Make a nether portal, collect just what you need (soul sand + glowstone), and don't let the aforementioned brass balls cloud your judgement. You're here for TWO THINGS. You are not window shopping at the local mall, you're in friggen Wal-Mart and you want to GET THE HELL OUT before things go horribly wrong. Make your soul forge, rip off your snuggie, and whip out that shake-weight your mother bought while your diamond gets cooked into 3 delicious soul shards. If you need to know how to use a soul shard, it's actually very simple! While one is on your hotbar, attack whatever monster that can be soulsharded. My recommendation for your first 3 would be Skeleton, Zombie, and Cave Spider (NOT regular spider)*. Mainly because in the overworld these will be the most common spawners you run into, and if you use an attuned shard on a spawner (right click), you get +200 of that monster soul on that shard! This effectively puts 1 whole level on that shard, up to the maximum of 5 levels and really the only level shard that (in my opinion) is worth getting.

* mention cave spiders because you find those under some spiderwebbed greatwood trees, and inside mineshafts, which i explain later. Regular spider spawners are a bit harder to find, but do exist.

Ultimate Goal w/ soul shards:

The best spawners to have (in my opinion of course), will make your minecraft life a breeze. They are not the 3 I listed however, those are just easy to obtain and will provide you with resources and experience...In my opinion, in FTB the most effective spawners would be Blaze, Enderman, Creeper, Wither Skeleton. They are all easier to set up than you would think, and if you need to understand how to get these in a legit fashion, I can point you in that direction. Out of these that I listed, in order of difficulty to get from easiest to hardest, they are:

1. Blaze (easy to find spawners in nether - infinite Blaze Rods)
2. Creeper (large hills in the Twilight - infinite Gunpowder) *do not enter hills unprepared, they can be rough*
3. Enderman (kill some Enders to fashion an Ender Eye and find The End, kill Enderdragon, make Enderman trap)
4. Wither Skeleton (Randomly spawn in Nether Fortresses, unknown if spawners exist) *will take the longest*

There are others, such as Ghast, firebat, witch, slime, but getting these even to level 1 without using an exploit or cheating outright is very difficult, and the materials they provide can be acquired through other means, or are not used for many recipes in the first place. I mean seriously, how many ghast tears could you POSSIBLY need? If you ABSOLUTELY NEED tears, just find any forum post related to Gregtech (sorry, I had to). With most monsters, it always helps to have a weapon with the soul stealer enchant.

If you've never done this it might get a bit complicated, so bear with me!*

To acquire the Soul Steal enchant you first need a vile sword, which uses 2 corrupted ingots (recipe in NEI). Enchant the weapon, preferably using 30 levels, and pray for anything between soul stealer III and soul stealer IV (I believe you can only get SS V by combining books). Hopefully by now, via your epic exploration skills, you've acquired an "Uncrafting Table" from the Twilight Forest. A very useful table, in addition to pulling items apart for a small exp cost, it can move enchantments from one item to another. Therefore, I recommend moving your soul steal enchant from a vile sword to something more sturdy (vile sword has the durability of an iron sword, maybe a little less?). My personal favorite is to move it to a fiery sword, or at the very least a diamond / ironwood sword. All you need is the ingredients to make a new sword and you just replace the grayed out materials (the vile sword ones) with the new ingredients (i.e. 2 diamonds for diamond sword). Voila, you have a diamond sword with Soul Steal and whatever else you threw on there, and it will last you much longer. Keep in mind that this also costs you experience, and in cases such as with the fiery / ironwood sword, the enchantments inherent to those weapons will stack with the ones from the vile sword. So if your vile sword had Soul Steal III and you want it on a Fiery Sword (inherently has Fiery II I believe it's called), through the table you will now have a fiery sword with Soul Steal AND Fiery. RING THE VILLAGE BELLS! HERE COMES THE PARADE!

GROWLE, SHUT UP AND TELL US ABOUT THE EXPLORATION!!!

Alright, alright I get carried away easily. Main reason for this post was not to get new players on their feet in terms of equipment, but rather to provide some insight into what they are liable to find when roaming the world. I don't think any of this is TOO FANCY, and most people are aware that a random building probably = loot. Still, sometimes you just want to read about something minecraft related while eating your disgusting Cool Ranch Doritos, or maybe you need a reason to get out of your cobblestone shanty and find some of what the world has to offer. MAYBE you genuinely didn't know that you could find AMAZING loot in easy to find locations, or that villagers are better served as trade partners than as gravity / portal gun test dummies. Hopefully the following helps!

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
1. The purple obsidian ring things (thaumcraft obsidian totems): They're a bit harder to approach in updated modpacks due to having a wisp spawner instead of the old pigman one. Still, if you're quick and your inventory isn't full, you can run in and ninja (i.e. loot quickly) most of the good stuff before the wisps deal too much damage to you...just be careful cause their attacks have a knockback effect and hurt if you're poorly armored. Basically, if you value your life, don't try to jump off a steep moutain face while being zapped by a wisp. Your life is precious and should only be reserved for when you finally run into pinch beetles in the Twilight... Anyway, wisps can not be soul sharded, and therefore you can not get the 200 souls from tapping a spawner with said soul shard. I would only recommend taking out their spawner if you have decent armor on (at least iron), and any mining item that can get through the obsidian totem block beneath the loot chest and break their spawn cage.

notable items include: Portal guns / portal spawners, metal ingots (thaumium, tin, copper, etc...), thaumcraft tools (Pick of the Core, Axe of Streaming, etc..), unenchanted metal weapons / armor (thaumium, steel, iron, gold), Music discs, and the ever questionable logic matrix programmers which you should always loot (mainly for router upgrades if you get into sorting systems), BUT you can hold onto them until you get an uncrafting table from the twilight and uncraft them to get some quick dark iron.

2. Overworld "barrow dens" or hills: Usually have an iron gate at the front, inside you will find 2 spawners (1 zombie, and 1 skeleton). Most people run in and destroy the spawners, but I ALWAYS avoid doing that. There are a few strategies to make these easier if you have trouble getting in safely. If you're bold OR have decent armor, throw your cat off your lap (mockingly forcefully for effect), put on your big boy pants, then proceed to run in and light the place up as quickly as possible to prevent more spawns (1 torch near spawner should do it). If you want to play it safe, as soon as you walk into the den, go to the far left / right and break the block immediately above the spawner at each corner, and drop a torch on the wall near the spawner. Once you've neutralized the spawners (with torches) just clean the place out and loot the chests near the bottom. At this point you have two choices...You can either mark the place for later on when you have a soul shard to use on the spawners, or use a soul shard that you already have (for example: kill 1 zombie for a zombie shard, and then tap (right click) a zombie spawner with that shard for another +200 kills).

notable items include: unenchanted metal weapons / armor, ingots, music discs, various other vanilla items. Most important loot for me would be the soul cages ;) It is also important to note that with Thaumcraft installed, these normally have an evil aura node directly inside in the center. This means wisps will occasionally spawn outside the den, so be wary if you decide to camp near one...With enough research / materials it is possible to move the node, and use that to spawn wisps in whatever way your imagination sees fit. I'm not 100% how these affect local flux / vis, but I'm sure there is a guide within these forums.

3. Spiderwebbed Greatwood trees: These trees are already fairly obvious, but I have noticed them most easily in either a plains or lightly wooded / autumn trees biome, but I have found one or two on the side of a mountain. It might be hard to exercise patience, but it is always safer to approach these during the DAY due to the poisonous cave spider spawns. Early game if I find one I make sure to have at least 1 or 2 buckets of milk on my hotbar (milk removes poison). I usually approach these quickly with a shovel and immediately dig out a dirt block right next to the tree until I see the cave spider spawner (remember, cave spiders are different from vanilla spiders). If it's day and you're not too slow you can do this before a spider spawns, if not, then just kill the thing and expose the spawner (hopefully you have a cave spider soul shard by now). Once you've taken care of the spawner by either soul sharding it or lighting it up with a torch to prevent spawns (mark it for later instead of using a mining pick for a tiny exp reward). Next to the spawner you will see a chest with all sorts of goodies.

notable items include: The same as the obsidian circles (portal guns, thaumcraft goodies, armor / weapons, etc.). If you decide to get into thaumcraft at all, take some greatwood with you, as its necessary for some recipes and has good aspects. Also, a recipe has recently been added for greatwood / crystalwood (i think they're crystalwood) that will allow you to use a carpenter to make planks out of these. Crystalwood planks are a white / marble color and look similar to balsa for anyone interested in forestry, and the greatwood, well the NEI should have these listed now, I think they look like either jungle or redwood...

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
4. Villages: Everyone has run into a village at some point, these spawn just about everywhere in the overworld. Many people overlook certain things of value in these however. In the modpacks that I have experience with (Mindcrack / Ultimate), it seems ALMOST every village has the same setup with some variance based on biome / randomgen. Several scattered homes, a farm or 2, a blacksmith, a "watch" tower, an apiarists house, a "mage" tower, and a library / work house. Here's a short list of what you can find where in these little towns:
- Blacksmith: Various armor / weapons to uncraft (smelt) into ingots using a furnace, other vanilla items. Starting off you can take the furnaces, iron gates and even the lava, they all help a bit.
- Farms: Great place to get some wheat, carrots and potatoes (captain obvious here).
- "Watch" tower: These always have a single block of glowstone on the 2nd level that is worth taking, and a chest that will have various vanilla items /tools / ingots, or enchanting books.
- Apiarists house: 2 free apiaries with frames and a queen each in the backyard! Honestly this is the easiest way to start bees, since early game, making an apiary is not usually feasible. Sometimes you will find an uncommon queen in these, and you can also get impregnated or even proven frames (proven are the strongest and only obtainable from villagers / villages). Just make sure you use a mining pick on the apiaries, I tried with my hand and with an iron axe, and both failed to give me the apiary.
- Library / work house: This one is fairly unremarkable, you will see several bookshelves and a crafting table. With the bookshelves, beating them with an axe is fastest and will give you 3 books each. However, if you use a silk touch item or shears (unsure if shears still work here), you can get the full shelf.
- Mage tower: I have yet to find anything of value in these.

**note: One of the most valuable parts of villages are the villagers themselves. If you find a villager that offers an excellent trade (i.e. takes wheat and gives emerald), I would recommend following / pushing him to a house, and locking him safely in the house by placing a block in front of the door (cruel as it seems, all a villager needs is a roof and a door to spam open and closed and they will live happily ever after, feeding through osmosis on the essences stirred up by the door's draft...no clue what I just said there, just go with it). The block in front of the door just prevents zombies from getting in the house and eating your potential trade partner. Your other options involve either a portal gun with an exit at your home in a (hopefully) safe area, or a gravity gun + some form of flight for speed and ease of transport. It is unknown whether holding a wooden door has any effect on attracting villagers, much as holding wheat would attract a cow.

***There are 3 unique villagers you can find from time to time, listed here:
- Apiarist: Wears yellow, apiarist type outfit. Will usually give you a good deal on bees, apiaries, or frames...
- Mage: Usually purple robes, and his trades vary greatly...Will usually offer steep deals on various magic items / enchantment books. One example would be 1 emerald for 3 bottles o' enchanting (which are handy)...this deal would only work out in your favor if you had another villager that gave emeralds for something you have too much of, such as wheat or wood.
- Village leader / elder: Usually also in a robe, his model is a bit different from the others. If you have mystcraft installed, he will offer many different types of pages for a fairly steep emerald cost, and with the most recent patches, I believe these are going to be your sole page suppliers...Therefore, these villagers should be prized and kept note of. Most players will take these and keep them stored in their home's dunge...err, guest rooms, up until they delve into Mystcraft...[DOUBLEPOST=1363638471][/DOUBLEPOST]5. Fortresses: I have only ever found fortresses in desert or jungle biomes, or deep underground. I'll try to explain them both.
- Jungle Fortress: Stone brick structure, inside you will find several tripwire traps, and levers to disable them. Very straightforward and easy, just turn off the traps w/ the levers that should be somewhere obvious, and you can break and take the tripwires / dispensers, along with the arrows inside and any connected redstone dust. You will usually find a single chest in these, containing various armor / weapons, food, vanilla implements, etc. Nothing TOO special here, but you can get lucky with that armor or enchant books.
- Desert Fortress: Surprisingly nice looking structure made out of sandstone and orange / blue wool (in my experience). These are fun to find, since they always give you several blocks of dynamite if you don't blow yourself up... In the center of these fortresses you will see several blocks of wool and sandstone. Underneath these is a shaft that is usually 5x5 and deep enough to cause decent damage (possibly death) should you jump down. More importantly, in the very center of the bottom is a pressure plate connected to a layer of dynamite directly beneath it. My advice is to break the blocks around the plate and start taking the dynamite, or even break the block with the plate before anything else. Last thing you need is to be overconfident and loot the 3 chests while leaving the plate for last, only to have your cat jump on the keyboard and hear a click before exploding into a cascade of loot / giblets...(it happens ><). The chests will contain the same as most others, armor / weapons, ingots, enchanting books, discs, vanilla items, etc...
- Underground Fortress: These are pretty hard to find, since you could be walking over one and never know. The only time I've found an underground fortress was by using an Ender Eye to find an End portal. Besides the valuable End portal (ender farming, enderdragon, rare ores etc..), you can also find large libraries with stacks of bookshelves (most i've found was just shy of 2 inventory stacks of bookshelves) the occasional chest with goodies, and if you dig around you might find a few more chests as well.

*note: You can occasionaly find spawners in these, but they seem to be fairly rare, or in my case a fluke...If you find a monster spawner, remember your soul shard or waypoint system and make sure the area is lit up enough to prevent more spawns. Remember, you need a specific monster soul before you can use that shard on it's respective spawner...So if you forgot to equip your empty soul shard to get the soul of that zombie before whacking his spawner with your shard, just break your torches in the vicinity and wait for a zombie or 2 to "attune" your shard before re-placing your torches and collecting the spoils.

6. Mineshafts: Everyone knows these, often you will find lots of wood, rails, the occasional torch, and lots of monsters. The most common spawner I've seen in these are the cave spiders, and surrounded by webs, these can be a pain in the butt to get to. I usually go right in and drop a torch next to it ASAP due to the amount of poisonous cave spiders it can spawn in a short period, and due to these, I never go into a mineshaft without at least 1 or 2 buckets (or whatever containers) of milk (again). Many people don't bother with the rails everywhere, but they are useful for more than just minecarts!! You can smelt these things down into a respectable amount of iron, and they are very easy to collect with a mining pick, or a crowbar. If you ever DID get into railcraft or steves carts, having these stored away will save you the trouble of making new rails, which now require more than just a few regular sticks and bubble gum.

**notable items i've found in mineshafts include: Various items (armor / weapons) to smelt into ingots, steel blocks (9 ingots!), rails and rail related stuff such as crowbars, minecarts and creosote bottles, enchanting books and other vanilla items / blocks.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Aaaaand I think that's about it for now. I'm sure I'm missing one or two things, but for the most part I hope this helps answer some questions for anyone either starting out and interested in what does what, or even those who are more experienced and didn't want to ask! I would have added more on the Twilight Forest or even the Nether, but I think those have guides and wiki's readily available throughout the web. If you have any questions, or feel I gave false information please let me know, I will try to maintain my composure and edit accordingly ;)

***Disclaimer***
*I am aware of the exploits and workarounds to getting rare shards made easily. And those that involve "duping." I do not condone using any of those methods, but as it is ultimately your choice, then by all means feign ignorance and hold your head up high at your amazing ability to exploit buggy mechanics. Your mother (probably) still loves you, and you are a shining beacon of humanity.*

- Yeah it's a bit dramatic but I'm partially joking. I can't keep talking crap and pretending that I never tried these, I fully admit that I have. However, when I did this I never felt like I earned anything I built, and therefore there was no purpose. Maybe it's just me, but I take pride in my creations, especially if they were difficult to make. I only like playing survival, and even when it comes to testing new mechanics I feel better trying them in survival as well, when theres a cost associated. Our last map we only discovered some of these exploits after we had set up a blaze, enderman, and creeper farm using legit tactics. Sure we were like "MAN that woulda been so easy!" But at the same time, we shared some pride knowing that we worked on those shards the way you're supposed to...By killing those specific monsters and their soul cages (if applicable). I've read the excuses, that the only time they will affect anyone would be on multiplayer or PvP servers, but as long as they exist (some) people will use them, or lie about it, to their benefit. Exploits / bugs aren't meant to be used as such, hence their name. My hope is that they all get fixed, or at least turned into mechanics that have some sort of cost associated.[DOUBLEPOST=1363638632][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry bout the color codes Guswhat, good to know I should disable them for the future ;)

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks! I honestly didn't expect it to be so long...It was originally only a few sentences in response to some other thread, I'm just going to place the blame on an extremely slow day at work...

I was about a quarter in to proofreading before I realized it was time to go home :oops: Oh if only I could have focused like that in school...

Glacies

Jul 29, 2019
About Mojang villages - The entry says mage towers contain nothing. Actually, those are churches, which are a vanilla village feature. Wizard towers have glowstone in them and usually a chest of assorted thaum loot. Also, in addition to the easy wheat for diamonds trade sometimes the villagers in the white coat will take easily pilfered books for emeralds, so if you're passing through that's another exploit. Then there's spiderwebs in the underground mines that make blocking off cave spider spawners so hard - you can cut the webs quite efficiently with swords.

Growle

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize for offending your sensibilities with my shameless capitalization. You should apologize for portraying your creeper in such a humanized fashion, I take great offense to pointless things.

Just kidding, it's not a real thread unless you pop up to shoot someone down Lambert. Thank you ;)

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize for offending your sensibilities with my shameless capitalization. You should apologize for portraying your creeper in such a humanized fashion, I take great offense to pointless things.

Just kidding, it's not a real thread unless you pop up to shoot someone down Lambert. Thank you ;)
haha ;) it's what I do best

Reactions: Growle