Growing a Natura Redwood

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

NashuLee

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I planted a 7x7 set of redwood saplings and I cant get them to grow.

I am not quite sure how many days I let it go. I planted them , went about 6 blocks away and dug a hole, crawled down in it ad covered myself up and just let the game run. I went and made dinner for the fam and ate and came back and there was nothing, just the saplings.

Could mobs running around the tree or over the tree cause and issue or could the fact that I cheated the saplings in be the problem?

Thanks

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I planted a 7x7 set of redwood saplings and I cant get them to grow.

I am not quite sure how many days I let it go. I planted them , went about 6 blocks away and dug a hole, crawled down in it ad covered myself up and just let the game run. I went and made dinner for the fam and ate and came back and there was nothing, just the saplings.

Could mobs running around the tree or over the tree cause and issue or could the fact that I cheated the saplings in be the problem?

Thanks

Last I heard the growing time was high. Like REALLY high. Talking about a MC week. Possibly (which would equate to about 2 hours RL).

The point is that, if it were not then basically it would just take a lumber axe and a few swipes to get very large amounts of wood.

NashuLee

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, didn't realize it was that long. I have started this world seed over three times due to updated and config change issues I had, and on the last try , the tree was not there Boo!!! So I fugured I would just grow it. But I am guessing I just didn't let it go long enough

NashuLee

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I let it run for hours and nothing.... then I made it 9x9 and it grew within a few MC days. So, I am not sure what the issue is. But it grew!! yeah!

Stocks

Jul 29, 2019
Started a new world a while back and cheated in the saplings for me and my daughter since we couldn't find any of the big trees around. It took around 10 MC days for them to grow and they both grew within 1 MC day of eachother. We were off running around and when we came back one had grown, the other went poof right in front of us... well not really poof, but you know. They are only about 30 blocks apart.

NashuLee

Jul 29, 2019
was it a 7x7 or a 9x9 ??? I let the machine run for about 4 hours, periodically checking back and forth to make sure it didn't go to sleep and it wouldn't grow. But after I added two more rows and made it 9x9 it grew up within about an hour. Either way, it grew.

Hanalea

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried growing one of these on a server? I thought that maybe since the server was constantly running that the tree would grow while I wasn't logged on. I have done two 24-hour sessions, one in a 7x7 and the other in a 9x9 and still no redwood tree :( Do I have to be logged on and standing near it for it to grow? Or at least have it chunk loaded?

goOutSide

Jul 29, 2019
I got the 9x9 configuration to work multiple times. Still no luck with a 7x7. It seems almost like having the 9x9 give the tree gen a choice that it needs to grow. Odd. Does any one know of space requirements needed for the trees to grow? I want to make a dense forest of these trees for fun. Hoping it works.

Dragonsama

Jul 29, 2019
7x7 worked for me took about 4 hours for it to grow but it finally grew. Mad a cool treehouse out of it

kong009

Jul 29, 2019
We have grown 2 of these using a 7x7 configuration on my server. So far they have taken 2-4 hours of real time to grow. And yes, afawk, the chunk must be loaded.

EDIT: Should also mention we are running Unleashed, MC 1.5.2, default pack mods.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Out of curiosity, what is the final diameter of a 9x9 sapling tree? I've grown several 7x7 trees and they seem to generate a diameter of 9 or 11.

[Edit] I went to one of my experimental worlds and grew a 9x9 sapling patch. The resulting tree had a diameter of 13 blocks, matching the largest "natural" growth trees I've found. The tree indeed seemed to grow in about half the time each of the 7x7 trees I previously planted took, and there was a bonus redwood sapling sitting there when I checked the new tree out... :cool:

I have found natural growth trees in diameters of 9, 11, and 13. Do they get any bigger?

Thanks for any replies.

TheAtomicOption

Jul 29, 2019
9x9 grows faster because WITHIN the 9x9 grid there are like several different possible 7x7 grids that could grow each tick. (the number of locations a 7x7 matrix can fit in a 9x9 matrix) That's also the reason you found leftover saplings around the base afterwards.

Edit: also I've found a 12x12 tree, so probably the range is 9x9 to 13x13

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
I was trying to make a 9x9 last night and before I could finish the 9x9 pattern, a 7x7 grew right in front of me. Of course it was off in the corner of the pattern I didn't want it to grow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
the way to prevent this is to not plant the center sapling. even in 13x13 patterns, it is impossible to complete a 7x7 pattern in any fashion unless you plant the center sapling.

for a 9x9, make 4 4x4 squares then plant the center cross last.

Tabu

Jul 29, 2019
If you are using version 1.1.4 unleashed, you don't even need the 7x7...

I setup the usual 7x7, within 5 minutes the tree grew and only used up 8 of the saplings...

1.1.4 is the epitome of how not to release a modpack... It has more bugs than a mattress from the ghetto...

Vaygrim

Jul 29, 2019
In Unleashed 1.14, for me atleast, I can only get Natura Redwoods to grow in 9x9 (or larger) grid sizes. Plant a 9x9, walk away for a day or two and bingo. That's how it is has been for me, atleast.

C

Culprit

I found two of these, I decided to hollow one out and make my base there, however, it started dying! All the leaves started to disentegrate. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to leave the center support? I want to make a few levels, and then a bunch of levels in the tree top. I'm hesitant to try on the other tree because I don't want it to die. Also wanted to plant another one, everyone always says 7 by 7, does that look t like this?

xxx
x x
xxx

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I found two of these, I decided to hollow one out and make my base there, however, it started dying! All the leaves started to disentegrate. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to leave the center support? I want to make a few levels, and then a bunch of levels in the tree top. I'm hesitant to try on the other tree because I don't want it to die. Also wanted to plant another one, everyone always says 7 by 7, does that look t like this?

xxx
x x
xxx

They mean a 7x7 square full of saplings. 49 of them will be needed. BTW: in the future please start a new thread rather then necro a thread that is already a few years old.