Gregtechs role in the modpacks.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have anything to do with it! That's my entire point! Mod owners will work together to make mod integration like this happen!
Well, except the part where Greg's needed to help IC2 and Forestry work together.
You see, IC2 doesn't...add new content often.
Greg does. And auto crops seems like more of an addon-type mod, even though there is the Crop Harvestor.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't have anything to do with it! That's my entire point! Mod owners will work together to make mod integration like this happen!
Well, except the part where Greg's needed to help IC2 and Forestry work together.
You see, IC2 doesn't...add new content often.
Greg does. And auto crops seems like more of an addon-type mod, even though there is the Crop Harvestor.
Greg isn't needed for the two to work together... case in point: The electric engine.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
Considering this started as a "we need a pack with GT easy mode" thread - explicitly NOT a "let's argue about GT difficulty" thread, we seem to have strayed a little far afield.

I don't suppose there's a way to implement an in-game options menu for GT that would let you tweak at least some of the settings currently handled by the config? Maybe a "toggle alt recipes for other mods" button sort of thing. New stuff gets added to GT so often I wouldn't necessarily expect Greg to ever implement something like that, but maybe it's a suggestion that could be dropped in the GT thread on the IC2 forums.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Considering this started as a "we need a pack with GT easy mode" thread - explicitly NOT a "let's argue about GT difficulty" thread, we seem to have strayed a little far afield.
it was expected, I mentioned GT in the title, the outcome was inevitable. I just hope the right people can see it before it's locked :p
This is not a rant about Gregtech nor do I want this thread to devolve into it (however I know that no matter how much I don't want it to... it inevitably will.. so meh) anyway, on with my point.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
While I heartily encourage people to explore and learn stuff, if you're strapped for mental bandwidth, you could avail yourself of Velotican's excellent configurations here since Velo did all the work already there and I'm also a fan of not duplicating work if I don't have to. =)
thanks. i've seen that thread but have been lazy about delving into it. i'm motivated now. w00t

Reactions: Vauthil

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
They already do. What do you think the Forge server is all about? The idea that the mod creators don't do cross-mod integration and balance testing is FUD spread by GT cronies.
Well yeah, forge is great, but it's what I like to call the first step. Having mods just completely cross over into other mods (whole SECTIONS, not just an item that can be used in both) is what I'm going for. Like my example stated? Something like a forestry machine that harvests IC2 crops (even though there's a Crop Harvestor).

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Well yeah, forge is great, but it's what I like to call the first step. Having mods just completely cross over into other mods (whole SECTIONS, not just an item that can be used in both) is what I'm going for. Like my example stated? Something like a forestry machine that harvests IC2 crops (even though there's a Crop Harvestor).
Then there's no point in having all the mod devs work on separate mods and should instead all work on a BTW like mod except with 20-30+ people developing it. Except that would never work and won't ever happen. The only reason that crazed maniac can manage BTW is because he doesn't have to worry about anything anyone else is doing.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Then there's no point in having all the mod devs work on separate mods and should instead all work on a BTW like mod except with 20-30+ people developing it. Except that would never work and won't ever happen. The only reason that crazed maniac can manage BTW is because he doesn't have to worry about anything anyone else is doing.
which is pretty much why Eloraam is the only one working on RP2 imo

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech is, for me, one of those things that, when configured properly, can introduce new challenges and hurdles to overcome while not explicitly making everything as difficult as humanly possible. The chemistry work alone that you can perform in GregTech is, quite honestly, incredible. I haven't played with MineChem, so I dunno how it stacks up against GT's chemistry bits, but I like how you can, with the proper machines, turn even relatively useless garbage into something useful. Have an excess of clay? Centrifuge it, and turn it into lithium, which you can use to power liquid-fueled boilers.

My only real gripe with the mod, in and of itself, is that some of its machines, specifically the inventory management machines, have a far steeper learning curve than they ought to have, and part of that is due to the GT wiki being somewhat lacking in the finer details and workings of those particular machines. This, as one might imagine, leads to either a lot of researching, or a lot of guesswork. Though, if you ask me, I kinda enjoy having to experiment like that; using the empirical method as opposed to having all the answers right there at the tips of my fingers.

GregTech, as is with every mod for every game that ever has been and ever will be made, isn't for everyone. Some will enjoy it, some will tweak it to make it better for them, and some will outright loathe it. That's one of the main lures of the FTB Launcher: you have options. You can find a pack you like, or modify one you've already played to suit your tastes. If you ask a thousand people what they think GregTech's role is in a modpack, you'd likely end up getting a thousand different answers, and I wouldn't have it any other way...minus the pointless flame wars and such that occasionally pop up.

As for a less important, half-joking gripe with GregTech: the seemingly random mashing together of words for machine names, like "Fusionreactor." I can see it just being a space thing, not wanting names to be too long, and it is still technically readable, I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to grammar and such, lol.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
which is pretty much why Eloraam is the only one working on RP2 imo
And it's really not even at the fault of the code; java is a language made for community like coding but such isn't really efficient when someone is trying to achieve their vision and isn't natural for people like Elo and FC.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
And it's really not even at the fault of the code; java is a language made for community like coding but such isn't really efficient when someone is trying to achieve their vision and isn't natural for people like Elo and FC.
Hmm? Java's made for communal development? Wouldn't that be true for every language around? Programmers often work in teams, that's just a fact of life.

However, the JVM is at least partly at fault, if you ask me. While it does allow for easier cross-platform development, it seems to have a far larger footprint than its primary competitor, .Net. Also, really...its days as the big dog when it comes to cross-platform development are likely coming to an end. .Net can, with Mono, be ported to other major operating systems. This is a personal thing, but I find .Net, C# in particular, to be a lot easier to use and work with than Java.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think it's more down to the actual dev's than the language. Anyone can put comments in their code, and if documented well enough anyone fluent at that language will understand it much easier than if there were no comments.
Elo and FC seem to prefer to work on their code alone, and who can blame them? Maybe they're just control freaks, at least you know that if there's a problem, you've only yourself to blame, and you know where that problem is, rather than have the problem instigated by someone else fucking with your code.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
As for a less important, half-joking gripe with GregTech: the seemingly random mashing together of words for machine names, like "Fusionreactor." I can see it just being a space thing, not wanting names to be too long, and it is still technically readable, I'm just a bit OCD when it comes to grammar and such, lol.

It's the most ANNOYING thing about gregtech!

Changing others mods? No.
Making stuff "hard"? No.
UnificatorSuperComputerCubeNuclearFusionReactorPlannerScanningSeedZipFileYoloGregTechPlutoniumCell? ...Yes.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

CrafterOfMines57

Jul 29, 2019
If you read any posts Greg makes on the IC2 forums you will notice it's his writing style, I believe he once stated that it was because, in German, words tend to get mashed together like that a lot, and so he thinks it's logical to do the same in English or something of that nature.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Who? I thought BTW was by a modder named flower child or something like that.