GregTech Steam Turbine

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
how can I use the railcraft boilers steam to power this monster? I cant figure out a way to transport that much steam
You can use machine boxes with pump covers to move steam into the turbine. iirc, it's 2.2 Railcraft 36HP boilers to power one GT steam turbine. To get that much steam into it, you can connect liquiducts to GT tesseracts (sorry, don't have a link for the tesseracts).

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
GT adds tesseracts?
Yes, they have been around for a while.

Actually, I wonder, you might be able to attach machine boxes with pump covers directly to a RC HP boiler, and run that line to an input hatch on the GT steam turbine, but I haven't tried it. That's assuming a single face of an RC boiler can output all 720mb/t of steam. Btw, the machine boxes move 1000mb/t, so you'll have to use at least one line of machine boxes per RC HP boiler.

Edit: Oh also there is the Thaumcraft block that 'adds more faces' to a block. You could make a machine box with lots of faces for liquiduct connections as well I bet.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Woosh. GT doesn't add the tesseracts. I think that's thermal expansion? Unsure, but I know it wasn't GT that added them.

Unless you're talking about something distinct from the item, liquid, and energy tesseracts assembled similarly to redstone energy cells. In which case I shall kindly shut my trap and go back from whence I came :)

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
GT tesseracts work by basically mimicing the source block at a remote location. It's very useful when you only have one face of a block available (such as in a multiblock structure). The Tesseract generator needs to sit adjacent to the source block and be configured on a channel (you literally right click the + or - on the face of the block, it's sensitive to where on the block you're clicking). It also does need power to operate, and doesn't transfer power remotely. I've found steam is a good way around this because one can simply upgrade the source machine with a steam upgrade if it needs power (obviously a turbine won't need this). The remote terminal might also need power, I forget. But basically you'll have 5 faces at minimum to feed into instead of the one available on an input hatch. I personally used the GT tesseracts to send/extract all the items and liquids going into an industrial grinder through one face (just to make it look nice).

But yeah, with the tesseract, one could feed at least 5000mb/t into the one input hatch. From what I can tell from the manual, the output hatch is completely optional (just outputs water on the steam turbine) and there's no muffler hatch on a steam turbine, so you could potentially have 3 input hatches. I definitely need to play around with this sometime. It's still weird to me that the maintenance hatch sounds non-automatable.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Woosh. GT doesn't add the tesseracts. I think that's thermal expansion? Unsure, but I know it wasn't GT that added them.

Unless you're talking about something distinct from the item, liquid, and energy tesseracts assembled similarly to redstone energy cells. In which case I shall kindly shut my trap and go back from whence I came :)

He adds his own. Kindly follow your own instructions. JK, LOL. Seriously though :eek::confused::D;):cool:

Reactions: draeath

tryple5soul

Jul 29, 2019
Nice Ill try those, im gonna try a machine box with a regular liquid tesseract. Im playing unhinged so the greg tech tesseracts are a bit pricey for me

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Nice Ill try those, im gonna try a machine box with a regular liquid tesseract. Im playing unhinged so the greg tech tesseracts are a bit pricey for me
If I recall correctly, liquid tesseracts will only output up to 1000mb per side, so you'll want to use two with the machine box on the input hatch. And really I gotta try this out sooner rather than later. If a machine box with a pump cover will suck out the entire output of a railcraft boiler that'd make for a lot cleaner builds.

tryple5soul

Jul 29, 2019
1 gt tesseract will suck a rc boiler dry, however I cant get a machinebox line to work im powering them they have pump modules ive hit it with a screwdriver to set it to export. I dont know what im missing.[DOUBLEPOST=1379016412][/DOUBLEPOST]let me see your set up when you get it, because I am failing hard at getting anything close, im not able to suck out of the boiler quick enough

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
1 gt tesseract will suck a rc boiler dry, however I cant get a machinebox line to work im powering them they have pump modules ive hit it with a screwdriver to set it to export. I dont know what im missing.[DOUBLEPOST=1379016412][/DOUBLEPOST]let me see your set up when you get it, because I am failing hard at getting anything close, im not able to suck out of the boiler quick enough

It'll have to wait until I get home. But shouldn't you be importing from the boiler (and subsequent machine boxes)? I was kinda hoping it would just export via the dot'd side into the hatch(subsequent machine boxes) without an additional cover. However, the Portable Scanner might help troubleshoot it since it is supposed to have internal storage.

tryple5soul

Jul 29, 2019
according to the wiki "You can use a line of machine boxes as an energy/item/liquid transporter by using valve covers with the dotted side." ive tried import and export. ill try that portable scanner I have 3 boilers set up. Just cant figiure out how to transfer the steam

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
according to the wiki "You can use a line of machine boxes as an energy/item/liquid transporter by using valve covers with the dotted side." ive tried import and export. ill try that portable scanner I have 3 boilers set up. Just cant figiure out how to transfer the steam

The video posted by RedBoss led me to believe it's the opposite... basically put the valve cover on the opposite side as the dot and aim the dot at the next machine box's valve.

tryple5soul

Jul 29, 2019
OK i got it to work with machine box's and liquid tesseracts. my set up is 3 boilers pumping into a tank. Then 3 machine boxs with 2 pump modules each, one on the valve and one on the tesseract the valve module is set to import the tessert side is set to export. and you just need 1 tesseract to the turbine! the dot means nothing lol

Reactions: loboca

tryple5soul

Jul 29, 2019
Also looks like you can just use that same method of the 2 pump modules on a machine box directly with the rc boiler, you only need 1 directly to the tesserect

Reactions: loboca

loboca

Jul 29, 2019
Also looks like you can just use that same method of the 2 pump modules on a machine box directly with the rc boiler, you only need 1 directly to the tesserect
Nice, mind posting pics of your setup?

I've got another idea of liquiducts outputted to a machine box with pump cover, just don't know what the output of a liquiduct is. Also, if you could attach 4 liquiducts to a machine box for say 120mb each, then have another machine box inline with pump cover, and have 4 more liquiducts attached to that machine box, you might be able to get enough output from the liquiducts.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
do the turbines explode once the rotor breaks or seconds after it's does? In other words does it consume damage points every cycle at the end of one or at the start?

Avius

Jul 29, 2019
Ok ive messed with them quite a bit. you can power them with railcraft boilers but the current build i use there are no pipes that can provide enough steam. Answer pump all 720 steam into a liquid tessie... i think i have 3 hp boilers going into 3 separate tessies outputting into one of the GT turbines. Tested all the turbines with the min/max steam and its less energy per tick then just running RC turbines... i was kinda underwhelmed to say the least. I havent messed with the lava ones just due to looking at inefficiency of them.

namae

Jul 29, 2019
Ok ive messed with them quite a bit. you can power them with railcraft boilers but the current build i use there are no pipes that can provide enough steam. Answer pump all 720 steam into a liquid tessie... i think i have 3 hp boilers going into 3 separate tessies outputting into one of the GT turbines. Tested all the turbines with the min/max steam and its less energy per tick then just running RC turbines... i was kinda underwhelmed to say the least. I havent messed with the lava ones just due to looking at inefficiency of them.
Gregtech turbine effectively same since steam turbines produce 200eu/t and 3hp boilers could supply more than 6 turbines while steam turbine produce 1k eu/t. But 3 hp boilers give more than enough steam for 1 turbine (720x3, while steam turbine only needs 1600) and RC turbines are EXTREMELY demanding on steel and break faster than GT.

Thermal boilers produce 800 steam/tick (at least exactly 2 is needed to supply GT turbine), but consume lava in humongous amounts and also produce tons of obsidian. But you should probably try them out with lava filter, in that way they make copper/tin/electrum in thousands.