Gregtech question.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Paddy Rodgers

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a bunch of people who recommend disabling Gregtech. What does Gregtech add, if anything, and what are the advantages to disabling it?

darkdragonsoul99

Jul 29, 2019
I'm far from an expert but from what I can tell greg tech makes some recipes harder I'm not minding that much anymore though I wish NEI would show them. That's the part everyone is complaining about. Greg tech also adds a bunch of extremely advanced machines at the tail end of IC2 I have yet to make it to any of these.

I'm loving the blending of mods greg tech went for like changing the build-craft quarry recipes to require a IC2 diamond drill which requires rail-craft steel. That kind of thing leaves me with the feeling i'm playing with one big mod not a bunch of smaller competing ones.

Reactions: ISibboI

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Dark: NEI does show all of the recipes. If it is not for you, your configs are not matching the servers and you should fix this. The first version of the modpack had a problem where they did not match.

OP: Gregtech is highly configurable, so there isn't really a reason to completely disable it. You can change it so it doesn't modify anything else if you wish.

As for pros, the industrial centrifuge is a very interesting mechanic involving separating things into separate components.

Other than that though, its all about adding more extreme endgame. You wont even be able to touch the rest until you are swimming in Iridium. Fusion plants are probably a couple hundred Iridium.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I disable it and factorisation for a couple of reasons:
- They are both entirely new tech trees, and I'd prefer to get to know the mods slowly and properly, rather than being dumped into the whole pack, and not knowing what goes where. It's just my way.
- They are both quite heavily dependant on resources and processing. Until we get redpower or logistics pipes, there is no easy way to automate processing and sorting, so I'm left doing it manually. This is a little more work than I'd really like.

Gregtech also intertwines the trees more than I'd like. In order to get a drill, you need to advance in both IC and railcraft. Thus far in FTB, I've not been able to make a blast furnace for steel (either no nether fortress accessible, or cannot find slimes), which would, essentially, put most of the IC2 tree out of my reach, too. Until I've got a better handle on everything, and there is a decent automation engine in there, I'm leaving them out. I've got enough learning with thermal expansion and steve's carts, as well as understanding steam and how best to use that.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
You can compress netherrack into netherbrick, so finding a fortress sin't necessary, but it would help.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
You can compress netherrack into netherbrick, so finding a fortress sin't necessary, but it would help.
It's not the netherbrick, it's the blaze powder. To get a blast furnace, you need magma cream, which needs either magma slimes (which occasionally drop it), or slime balls and blaze powder.

Paddy Rodgers

Jul 29, 2019
- They are both entirely new tech trees, and I'd prefer to get to know the mods slowly and properly, rather than being dumped into the whole pack, and not knowing what goes where. It's just my way.
- They are both quite heavily dependant on resources and processing. Until we get redpower or logistics pipes, there is no easy way to automate processing and sorting, so I'm left doing it manually. This is a little more work than I'd really like.

Gregtech also intertwines the trees more than I'd like. In order to get a drill, you need to advance in both IC and railcraft. Thus far in FTB, I've not been able to make a blast furnace for steel (either no nether fortress accessible, or cannot find slimes), which would, essentially, put most of the IC2 tree out of my reach, too. Until I've got a better handle on everything, and there is a decent automation engine in there, I'm leaving them out. I've got enough learning with thermal expansion and steve's carts, as well as understanding steam and how best to use that.

Thank you for the reply and the reasons. That out of the way, how do I go about disabling it? It seems as though it makes everything harder and me being new to this, is just another thing to worry about.

darkdragonsoul99

Jul 29, 2019
Dark: NEI does show all of the recipes. If it is not for you, your configs are not matching the servers and you should fix this. The first version of the modpack had a problem where they did not match.
Really everyone on the server is having the same problem I just figured greg tech wasn't working with NEI properly The server's config hasn't been changed at all either. I'll look into that one thanks .

Gregtech also intertwines the trees more than I'd like. In order to get a drill, you need to advance in both IC and railcraft.
That's one of the things I out right love about gregtech difference in opinion I do love thee :p

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Whats really irritating is the constant cycling of recipes (like circuit>electron tube>autarchic gate>random). It'll be nice if they displayed as individual recipes in NEI. (Unlike the cycling of ingots all these ones look different and carry different names- so its a pain waiting for it to cycle around)

I'm not overly sold on the steeltools and harder quarry. (I like a challenge, but it could use a bit of work- like dropping refined iron and just using steel for machine and silver for circuit)

The current iridium ore (1 in 5 chunks have a single ore) just results in crazy amounts of quarrying to luck out with enough for a GT mattterfab. Where's having the old IC2 massfab enabled, but nerfed to 10,000,000 Eu/UU, then as a crafting ingredient can be upgraded to the GT matterfab (which is more efficient, or can directly manufacture matter*)

The endgame stuff is somewhat ridiculous, but fun to play with (and the reason I kept it GT installed)

Overall it just feels half done; there's a crazy amount of potential here for something awesome.

*takes the functionality of the UUM assembler as well, but knocks a small percentage off the Eu cost for doing it direct.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the reply and the reasons. That out of the way, how do I go about disabling it? It seems as though it makes everything harder and me being new to this, is just another thing to worry about.
On the launcher, go to "edit mod pack" highlight Gregtech, and click disable, it's that simple. I think that does it for the server stuff, too, but if it doesn't, just delete it from the mods folder.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively, find the gregtech config file and disable the specific recipe(s) you don't like. It's a very big config file that allows you to turn on ad off every single feature by itself.

darkdragonsoul99

Jul 29, 2019
I don't mind what it's doing, but I have issues when one tree halts, and brings my entire game to a stop. Just my opinion :)
Oh I got lucky my nether portal spawned right in the middle of a fortress and my spawn is in a swamp so I have more slime then I need I could see how trying to find either would be annoying .

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I feel that FTB should do a poll about what mods people disable and reasons for doing so (moderated to keep things civil). There seems to be a lot of people that disable GregTech (me included).
The poll would help with the mod package development and deployment.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
I feel that FTB should do a poll about what mods people disable and reasons for doing so (moderated to keep things civil). There seems to be a lot of people that disable GregTech (me included).
The poll would help with the mod package development and deployment.
That was apparently tried a bit ago, but it descended into anarchy. There was a forum thread about it before release, where they looked at opinions, and I think that's the reason that the recipe modifications are disabled by default (are they?).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
There's a mixture of things enabled and disabled in the config. What will hit people the most is that Basic Solar Panels are more expensive, and that some of the Railcraft machines are now required to produce materials instead of crafting them (such as the mixed metal ignot)

Darlock Ahe

Jul 29, 2019
NEI works perfectly well with gregtech, you just need to make sure that configs match between server and client (currently default configs do not match)
Also it's worth manually updating gregtech to the latest version, it adds industrial electrolyzer, industrial grinder and industrial blast furnace. With those you can get a lot more out of your ores and gems. Example: 24 bauxite dust placed in industrial electrolyzer create 16 aluminium dust, 1 titanium dust, 10 hydrogen cells (30000EU fuel) and 6 compressed air cells. Bauxite ore can be mined in extraordinary amounts in plains biome and each ore block produces 4 dusts when macerated, additionally you can get 1 more aluminium dust if you macerate in industrial grinder.

Pinkishu

Jul 29, 2019

Well newer GregTech versions hand you an industrial Blast furnace~
Slimeballs you can make with factorization btw :p just put furnace-heater + crystallizer with milk and lime dye
GregTech adds some automation, not greatly much so far though

And uhm.. you can do auto sorting and processing quite well with BC and ComputerCraft Turtles

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019

The version that is actually in FTB has some flaws but it is worked on and you won't need blazes for steel in the future. But he just decided to use the blastfurnace from railcraft until his own is finished, so basically you have to blame covertjaguar to implement magma-cream in the recipe :p

But you are right, if you are totally new switching on the mods one after another is a good idea to notice what is changed by which mod.

It's not really about being new. The challange Gregs adds is totally avoidable. It does some things that people normally did not before being totally super-equiped. With Gregs you want to visit the nether early, just with Iron/Bronze Armor a Bow and some swords. No Mining-Laser, No Q-Suit etc. Get the blazes at this point actually might end up as a challange, since you can still burn to death (which is almost impossible in a Q-Suit).

If you play on a server I would recommend keeping GregsTech in. The basic reason is that it encourages playing together to get a good start. You will not want to build a Centrifuge or a Blastfurnace for everyone and trips to the nether with some friends normally end up being hilarious :p