Gregtech good or bad?

greg teh good or bad

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget FTB puts the pack together but it's up to server owners if they want to keep the mods or not. Personally FTB can cram the whole lot in for me and I'll choose which I want and which I don't and what configs to edit to suit how I want to run the server.

Huene

Jul 29, 2019
Huene, that's not a problem with GregTech or NEI, it's a config file mismatch between client and server.

There can be mismatches if the server is running the very first release but the client updated. And since clients update automatically and servers don't, you can pretty much expect this to happen on any "first hour" server. Basically, the clients got an updated config that the server doesn't have, but the server has the final say about recipes. So even though the client sees the recipes in NEI that are valid for its version, the server says "no, my config is different, you're not allowed to craft that".

This has already been fixed for quite a while. Please ask your server admin to copy a GregTech config file from an updated client to the server directory.

That's great information but I think I may be missing something simple, because I took GregTech.cfg from a client and put it on the server and it made no difference on what NEI said the recipes were (testing with macerator), is this supposed to be NEI's config file?

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
In my opinion, the recipe changes and extra items that gregtech introduces are ok whether they are turned on or not. The ability to change which recipes are hard, while nice, can introduce a much more serious problem... wrong information. If the options are changed then NEI gives the wrong information.

This can be solved with
a) The server specifying what gregtech recipes are enabled along with specifying that "NEI is wrong".
b) NEI be changed so that it gets the recipes from the server instead of the client. Since 1.3.2 there should always be a server, even on single player so it should work. It may require a lot of work on the part of chickenbones.

As for my opinoion on the changes, I feel that it makes you stay longer in vanilla, which is a good thing, and also have to have a broad use of the mods which is also a good thing. The drill is something that should be gotten a bit later. Steel can be hard to find if you don't find slimes or blaze spawners, but so are rubber trees if you don't have the right biomes around.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
That's great information but I think I may be missing something simple, because I took GregTech.cfg from a client and put it on the server and it made no difference on what NEI said the recipes were (testing with macerator), is this supposed to be NEI's config file?

What exactly is the phenomenon you're getting? NEI shows the expensive macerator recipe but you can craft the standard one instead?

devflash

Jul 29, 2019
I play first time with the GregTech Mod, at the beginning it was confusing, but now i really like it, i was spending hours farming with a friend stuff in the nether to get a blast furnace, it was funny all the time, and overall its nice to have a challenge for me and the other guys on the Server.
Maybe there are some Recipes who are not balanced, dunno but for me it is okay. :)

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of things aren't completly balanced and actually Redpower brings a new imbalance. If I'm not mistaken Greg has a config ready that will disable RedpowerGems (since Redpower does not have it^^), but I'm not sure if he wants to do this... or more if FTB wants to enable this, because Eloraam will most likely not like it, but from a player-perspective it might be more balanced if the world isn't spammed with RP2 Gems (they are really abundant^^).

If you find something that you will not right, just make a suggestion about it. Actually GregTech is primarly build around player-suggestions and some crazy stuff he thought off.

Huene

Jul 29, 2019
What exactly is the phenomenon you're getting? NEI shows the expensive macerator recipe but you can craft the standard one instead?
NEI shows the standard but I can only craft the expensive one (which is what I want on)

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Then what does the config file on the server say? Is the expensive recipe activated there? If not, have you done a full server shutdown and restart?

Huene

Jul 29, 2019
it is disabled right now since I was experimenting, but traditionally it will enable and work just not reflect in NEI, additionally I always do full shutdowns on anything that doesn't have an internal command to reload config (and some that do) out of habit since the "don't reload" days, I'll turn it back on again in a few minutes, I'm away from a computer at the moment

AnnaMayBelle

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a lot of people voice the opinion that they'd like GregTech more if it didn't mess with so many mods, and require so many other mods' involvement to travel down the IC2 technology path. Personally, I find this to be a -wonderful- aspect of GregTech. In the past, I always felt like Minecraft modpacks were a collection of multiple technology trees. Some faster than others, some slower than others, but in the end, you could pretty much travel down each tree independently. GregTech makes FTB feel less like a collection of mods, and more like a complete game, in which you have reason to spread out, dabble in new fields of technology, and put some thought into how best to spend your limited resources to achieve the desired results.

TL;DR: ...I keep clicking Yes but it only lets me vote once...

Weird0

Jul 29, 2019
gregtech is just awesome i always thought that industrial craft was to easy and finally someone made this !

GregTech makes FTB feel less like a collection of mods, and more like a complete game, in which you have reason to spread out, dabble in new fields of technology, and put some thought into how best to spend your limited resources to achieve the desired results.
very well said

Reactions: TaintedHorizon

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
GregTech makes FTB feel less like a collection of mods, and more like a complete game.
FTB (of 1.2.5) also makes a collection of mods into complete game, but without breaking mods in question.
Focus of FTB (of 1.2.5) is not digging for hours, looking for diamonds and iridium, but crafting complex mechanisms.

Feed the GregTech is indeed an interesting game (for some people), but it is not Feed The Beast.

I think best solution is to add FTG as an alternative modpack option to client.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I think the best solution is for those who don't like it to turn it off. Is it so hard to make four mouseclicks once?

The FTB people have said multiple times that they want to ship GregTech, and the majority of users appear to feel that it adds something they like, if the poll here is any indication. I see no reason why there should be a change to the default packs.

Crezetique

Jul 29, 2019
Up till now I've yet to see GregTech do any good compared to harm. Having config and NEI mismatches and how in anyway shape or form is gregtech "balanced" compared to the other mods?

It's easy to sync the config mismatch from client to server. However a handful of people talk about changing the configs to make it easier yourself, it isn't as simple said and done like that. All the players on your server have to have the same config and some people don't want to or don't know how to change the config. It simply isn't player friendly if you're going to have to ask every single person to sync their configs before playing on the server, even if it's through copying and pasting from pastebin -- It's troublesome.

I would prefer if GregTech simply added a layer over IC2 instead of messing around with vanilla mechanics. What I hate the most about it is that it's attempting to balance the other mods when it was titled to be an IC2 addon. I had no prior knowledge that it changes buildcraft recipes.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
I can disable GT or edit config on my client. Same as you can download GT and install it by hand. But problem is bigger than that.
Idea of modpack is to have common ground for community to build stuff and experience upon. What will happen if some will use GT, and some (third or so) will not?
Will FTB maps be designed to work with Gregtech on or off?
When discussing some game aspect or strategy here on forum, should I assume GT is used or not?

eisbaerBorealis

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen a lot of people voice the opinion that they'd like GregTech more if it didn't mess with so many mods, and require so many other mods' involvement to travel down the IC2 technology path.
This worried me too, because in addition to an FTB instance (MultiMC), I'd like one for Gregtech as well where I don't disable all the "hard" configs like I have for my FTB world. But I don't want to deal with 40 mods if I'm just playing for Gregtech's sake, so I went directly to Gregorius' thread on the IC2 forums to find out the minimum number of mods I would need to be able to play with Gregtech. I was thinking "I obviously need Railcraft to make steel to make the tools, right?" Nope. If you don't have a mod installed, those extra requirements go away. If I have an instance with just IC2 and its add-ons, I will again be able to craft mixed metal alloys in my crafting bench, no rolling machine required. (I understand that wasn't your complaint, but letting everyone who thinks that know that they're wrong)

stickmansam1

Jul 29, 2019
because of the Gregtech steel thing it was easier to make a mining laser than a mining drill because i have the worst nether ever (I can't find Nether fortresses and not many large areas for magma cubes to spawn)

Boozamooz

Jul 29, 2019
I personally think that Gregtech is a great mod, with lots of overpowered machines that generate lots of eu and look awesome. but for the start game items, like the drill, you shouldn't need to get a coke oven (from another mod) and a blast furnace (from another mod). I mean, if you didn't have railcraft installed, you'd either be screwed if you weren't good with computers, or just deal without drills, chainsaws, and hoes. But seriously, people, who wants a rechargeable hoe? It's not like you'll use it a lot.

I personally think that the solar panel recipes are really fun! Watching a industrial centrifuge spin redstone for an hour for silicon is boring, but not when you have to also get a carbon plate from tons of coal and some maceration and compression, a generator, and find some sand in your undoubtedly underground base!

Most of the advanced recipes are fun, but some are just way out of this world. Gregtech is trying to make endgame items out of easy to get ones, but i think it tried too much i some cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.