GregTech Fusion Reactor Chrome/Titanium Expense

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
I'm playing on the Mindcrack v7 pack singleplayer and I'm interested in the Fusion Reactor for mass EU production to supply to my Matter Fabricator.

I'm pretty well established right now but not extremely rich in resources. I'm kind of low on Chrome and Titanium. I selected a rather remote island location and, being surrounded by water, finding Bauxite has been difficult (I know it is generated in Plains and Forests biomes in large quantities.) I intend to quarry some Hollow Hills in the Twilight Forest and expect a decent haul from that but right now I'm very low on Titanium with no clear and easy method of mass-collecting it. I've been investing most of my rubies into Chrome production and centrifuging redstone dust to get ruby dust for electrolyzing into chrome as well.

If I'm not mistaken, the 24 Fusioncoils required to operate the Fusion Reactor require almost 400 of both chrome and titanium (for the highly advanced machine blocks.) I'm nowhere close to this and it seems I'll have to spend quite a few hours of quarrying to get to this point. My production is far from perfect, but this seems like an unimaginable requirement although given the capabilities of the machine it's not all that surprising.

I'd like to ramp up production of Chrome and Titanium. Does anyone have any helpful tips or techniques for speeding up this process? I haven't looked but can I get either of these resources from UU-matter? (of which I have about 3 stacks currently and ~3400 EU/t going into my Matter Fabricator.. so not that much production there.)

Does anyone have any experience reaching this point on survival?

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you need 96 x 4 (384) of Chrome and Titanium to make 24 Fusion Coils. But don't forget that you need to make at least 13-20 superconductor wires (which go to 16 HV transformers and to glass fibres) to get all the eu from fusion reactor to matter fabricator or other devices.

For Chrome: You can also silktouch redstone ore/lucky ruby ore at height 10 (I think I was branch mining using diamond jackhammer+diamond silktouch pickaxe) or sphalerite ore in the nether for yellow garnet -> 20 uv dust-> 2 chrome. If you are going to use uum I think it's around 16 uum/chrome (4 uum-> 24 redstone-> Rubies-> Chrome).. The other way is to use the Ruby bee.

For Titanium: I agree that Bauxite is a pain lol. Btw, you can use 5 uum to get 2 titanium, Quarry/IC2 miner (can you set it to only search for bauxite only?) is the best way to get this.

The best way is to combine all quarry (automated), bee (automated), manual mining and excess UUM (after around 35-40 iridium plates) products to make it.

Swoop

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using a 10x10 RP2 tunnelbore at bedrock to get redstone. The redstone gets fed into an array of 20 industrial centrifuges.
For the bauxite I'm using a RP2 quarry in a plains biome.

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like I need to find myself a nice plains and get to work setting up some max size quarries.

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
You can also get chrome from fortune mining sphalerite (huge veins) in the nether - this can give you yellow garnet that centrifuge down to uvavorite (cannot spell it for the life of me) that will give 2 chrome per processing batch - it's an alternative if you need redstone for other things.

If you cannot get bauxite as mentioned your only other real alternative is huge amounts of UU matter. 5 for 2 means for 400... yeah :) I really think personally it would be worth making a zeppeling, or a boat if you're boring, and hiking your way out somewhere as the alternatives are poor. You can enderchest quarry materials back or if you feel that's a bit "gamebreaky" you can enjoy thousand long pipes! either way.

dyren

Jul 29, 2019
Enderchests are essential as far as I'm concerned. I like to keep things clean and compact. Just working on a quad 64x64 quarry setup in the Twilight Forest. I'm also aware that Bauxite spawns in the ground in a few of the Twilight Forest biomes, not just inside Hollow Hills... so there's another place to quarry.

Thanks for the help!

Cutler Pain

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I used to grind my rubies and centerfuge my redstone until I started useing ruby bees. Ruby bees are a must for chrome production!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Ruby bees? Wouldn't you be better off with chrome bees? Unless you need rubies for other stuff as well.

The easiest way would be bees, bees, bees. Chrome + titanium bees in alvearies should produce the necessary metal in no time.

Jammyjezza

Jul 29, 2019
is there even such a thing as chrome bees? I know Of the titanium and ruby ones, but never heard Of chrome ones

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I think there is, unless they got rid of them. Let me check.

EDIT: I could've sworn there used to be chrome bees. Apparently they got rid of them. Maybe they were considered OP?

Incidentally, there also used to be iridium bees, but they were deemed OP as well, so now they're gone too.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
There were never any chrome bees, although <certain individuals> started the rumor that there were in order to stir up noise.

Iridium bees, while they existed in the code for a short while, could never be mutated into and were only achievable by cheating.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
There were never any chrome bees, although <certain individuals> started the rumor that there were in order to stir up noise.

Iridium bees, while they existed in the code for a short while, could never be mutated into and were only achievable by cheating.
I think that's was a troll by Brinne to get a good laugh some people trying to figure out how to get it.

Reactions: Riuga