GregTech Config Mismatch

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys! Having a blast testing the Pack, thanks for making it available.

Me and a friend were messing around in multiplayer, and found an issue that might confuse some new to GregTech.

The config file on the client side has the harder recipes for Macerators, Solar panels, and a few others off by default, while the server launcher has them on. As a result, the craftable recipes weren't showing for us, and the not craftable ones were.

Soon as I enabled the harder recipes client side, I was able to see them. Just wanted to give a heads up!

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Per Luke_H in this post this will be addressed in a future mod pack update as well. For now the solution is either as prescribed above, or (more simply if you are a server owner and want your clients to run without need to edit configs) you can upload the config from the client modpack to the server.

Reactions: Kinsata

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
When recipes aren't available in the client, but on the server, the output slot is empty, but you can still pull the item out. If you are trying to do a recipe the server doesn't know, it prevents you from pulling the item out of the output slot.

(First attempt to post this post failed for some reason.)

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
When recipes aren't available in the client, but on the server, the output slot is empty, but you can still pull the item out. If you are trying to do a recipe the server doesn't know, it prevents you from pulling the item out of the output slot.

(First attempt to post this post failed for some reason.)

It would show the macerator in the output slot, but if you tried to pull it, it'd pop back into the output instantly. From what you've said this isn't exactly normal, and idea why it was doing that?

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
It would show the macerator in the output slot, but if you tried to pull it, it'd pop back into the output instantly. From what you've said this isn't exactly normal, and idea why it was doing that?

It is normal, what you did is trying to do a crafting recipe that is unknown to the server.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019

Restating what frederikam said, when the server and client configs mismatch, the following two things happen:
  • When somebody puts the client version of the recipe in, it shows that it can be crafted, but when the person crafting pulls it out of the table it'll "snap" the items back into the crafting grid and remove the crafted item that momentarily appears.
  • When somebody puts the server version of the recipe in, it doesn't show that you can craft anything to the client, but the person crafting can then pull out that nothing into a functional whatever-it-is.
This behavior occurs because the client thinks the recipe is as it is in the client configuration, but the server actually mediates whether or not something is successfully crafted. This is why matching up the server and client configuration is a good idea. The easiest method is having the server take the client pack version (only the server operator has to update this one). More difficult is keeping the server config as-is (which does have the GregTech "hard mode" recipes all on) and having the users change their configs to match. That can get more annoying the more users you have to tell to manually update the configs for, which is why I don't recommend it unless you have a server of advanced users (who would probably embrace the "hard mode" recipes anyway).

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
Per Luke_H in this post this will be addressed in a future mod pack update as well. For now the solution is either as prescribed above, or (more simply if you are a server owner and want your clients to run without need to edit configs) you can upload the config from the client modpack to the server.

Didn't mean to make it seem that I ignored your post, friend. I really wish I'd seen that post first as I didn't want to clog these fancy forums up with duplicate reports and didn't think to look in the general tech support section. :(

It is normal, what you did is trying to do a crafting recipe that is unknown to the server.

I gotcha. Thanks for the reply!

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, no worries, just making sure that anybody who saw this knows that the team is aware of it and it will be addressed. =)

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
Also, it's me and one other, so him using the server one won't really be much of a hassle.

I think I'd like to try out GregCraft how it's meant to be experienced before deciding to disable its harder recipes or the mod entirely.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
Also, it's me and one other, so him using the server one won't really be much of a hassle.

I think I'd like to try out GregCraft how it's meant to be experienced before deciding to disable its harder recipes or the mod entirely.

Good idea i must say, you mean GregTech right?

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Oke the mismatch in gregtech config between server and cleint is known. It will be solved in the next version.

For now . Just replace the server config with the client config. (if you want gregtech) that will solve the recipies acting up.

Kinsata

Jul 29, 2019
Oke the mismatch in gregtech config between server and cleint is known. It will be solved in the next version.

For now . Just replace the server config with the client config. (if you want gregtech) that will solve the recipies acting up.

Thank you for a reply Greedseed! Feel free to lock this thread! Think everything that can be said here is said. :)

Bnagers

Jul 29, 2019
So server admins can't configure the mods how they like without causing errors that would require the client to make the same edits to their own config files?

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Bnagers. Would you please start reading the posts you comment on :)

The thing is that the client and server did not match. This issue is fixt and solved. Also you CAN change config in servers. Server side configs WILL overtrump client configs ! but since NEI is client it wont change NEI.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
So server admins can't configure the mods how they like without causing errors that would require the client to make the same edits to their own config files?
Yep, that's the case, and that's one of the reasons there was trepidation among server admins when we were told GregTech was getting included in the first place. Luckily the big issue turned out to be an error rather than the actual inclusion. ;)

I'd like to respectfully disagree with Greedseed's assessment, though, because it makes it sound like this is in fact an NEI problem and it's something chickenbones can, through force of will or code, actually address. It's not an NEI issue; it's a Minecraft issue.

Remember, Minecraft code was originally architected with two things of note missing:
  • Servers weren't intended.
  • Modding wasn't intended.
This means the most common cases where you'll run into things that don't make sense involve either servers or mods. Even getting the very most basic spawn protection took a long time for servers. The community long ago stopped holding its breath for an actual official mod API.

In this case, it's the Minecraft recipe handler and the way it works from a server. Honestly, it's marginally computationally cheaper to assume client and server agree on the recipes all the time and handle mediation like it is. Part of the problem in making a solution is the fact that things like recipes and Item IDs are fixed at the time you start Minecraft -- that long pause at the Mojang screen -- which is long before you ever provide Minecraft with server details to connect to, let alone connect to a server. Actually adding a provision for the client to be aware of what the server's up to just isn't that simple (and if you want to see convoluted solutions, take a look sometime on what a server admin has to do with a vanilla Minecraft implementation in order to run Rei's minimap's extra features on a server).

Thus I wouldn't expect much alteration from the status quo on this one. Who knows, maybe some intrepid code adventurer will surprise me, but I don't think it'd be any time soon even if they did.

Bnagers

Jul 29, 2019
Bnagers. Would you please start reading the posts you comment on :)

The thing is that the client and server did not match. This issue is fixt and solved. Also you CAN change config in servers. Server side configs WILL overtrump client configs ! but since NEI is client it wont change NEI.

Oh I read the posts, and I already knew the answer. I just wanted to summarise the issue in a way that had the FTB people saying "That's right, admins can't configure the mods on their servers without making a lot of extra hassle for players."

Greedseed

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, that's the case, and that's one of the reasons there was trepidation among server admins when we were told GregTech was getting included in the first place. Luckily the big issue turned out to be an error rather than the actual inclusion. ;)

I'd like to respectfully disagree with Greedseed's assessment, though, because it makes it sound like this is in fact an NEI problem and it's something chickenbones can, through force of will or code, actually address. It's not an NEI issue; it's a Minecraft issue.

Remember, Minecraft code was originally architected with two things of note missing:
  • Servers weren't intended.
  • Modding wasn't intended.
This means the most common cases where you'll run into things that don't make sense involve either servers or mods. Even getting the very most basic spawn protection took a long time for servers. The community long ago stopped holding its breath for an actual official mod API.

In this case, it's the Minecraft recipe handler and the way it works from a server. Honestly, it's marginally computationally cheaper to assume client and server agree on the recipes all the time and handle mediation like it is. Part of the problem in making a solution is the fact that things like recipes and Item IDs are fixed at the time you start Minecraft -- that long pause at the Mojang screen -- which is long before you ever provide Minecraft with server details to connect to, let alone connect to a server. Actually adding a provision for the client to be aware of what the server's up to just isn't that simple (and if you want to see convoluted solutions, take a look sometime on what a server admin has to do with a vanilla Minecraft implementation in order to run Rei's minimap's extra features on a server).

Thus I wouldn't expect much alteration from the status quo on this one. Who knows, maybe some intrepid code adventurer will surprise me, but I don't think it'd be any time soon even if they did.

Well its not like its that NEI is the big bad wolf. Not at all. I agree on your statement that it is more to the part of minecraft.

They sould have done the API a lot sooner.