Gregtania

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I wanted to ask, If you wanted to "greggify" Botania; What would YOU do? I've been trying to "Balance" mod's for a modpack I've been working on (It will be personal if I cannot get all permissions but that's besides the point). I've played Botania only very breifly and I'd like to know how people would rebalance it (I will be taking your ideas into consideration but I'll be doing a full Botania playthrough before doing anything to get a full opinion on everything everyone has said).

Note: I say balance not as saying balance more as saying making a standard of "balance" like how Gregtech has a standard of balance. I am not saying Botania is or isn't overpowered as that's an opinion, I'm just trying to bring its recipe complexity and time consumption up.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
require that the mana pool is "infused" with liquid diamond instead of just a crafting recipe.

assuming one of the mods allows for infusing items with a liquid

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I agree with the above, change the diluted mana pool recipe. In my own mod pack I added a silver ingot to the recipe (since silver bowls are kinda used a lot in "magic"). Small change, but limits you for a short while. Silver is also fairly rare too in my pack.

Perhaps for starters identify the rarer resources in your gameplay, and change mana spreader and mana pool recipes to use them, or components that are a bit involved (but not too involved, otherwise tedium...)

Most of Botania requires runes to be be crafted, which are already fairly involved.

One simple change I recommend globally is reduce ore generation. Makes every ingot valuable, and all mods much "harder".

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
One simple change I recommend globally is reduce ore generation. Makes every ingot valuable, and all mods much "harder".
I didn't lower it for mine personally, I instead added more caves making there be less ore but making manual mining better while at the same time making underground get progressively more dangerous the farther you get down and harder to traverse. I've been have Father Toasts Lava Monsters in the pack with them being allowed to spawn in Shallow, Deep and Flowing Lava. I however have some more balancing to do so we will see what changes.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I didn't lower it for mine personally, I instead added more caves making there be less ore but making manual mining better while at the same time making underground get progressively more dangerous the farther you get down and harder to traverse. I've been have Father Toasts Lava Monsters in the pack with them being allowed to spawn in Shallow, Deep and Flowing Lava. I however have some more balancing to do so we will see what changes.
I've got FT Lava Monsters too, just really lowered the spawn rate, but makes for a nice "surprise", but only around deep lava areas. I've also added my own version of Andesite that only spawns in the lower levels, and is slower to mine and needs at least Iron tools. Provides a block to getting down to the lowest levels using the poorest tools.

Hlaaftana

Jul 29, 2019
Come on, don't be so harsh on Greg and completely ignore the fact that his mod is now a basically harder, more fun TFC...
Here's what I would do:
Completely remove the mod when using GregTech.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I've got FT Lava Monsters too, just really lowered the spawn rate, but makes for a nice "surprise", but only around deep lava areas. I've also added my own version of Andesite that only spawns in the lower levels, and is slower to mine and needs at least Iron tools. Provides a block to getting down to the lowest levels using the poorest tools.
I'm using Geostrata, It adds alot of blocks like that; some of them have high Explosion resistance as well. Geostrata also seems to do some nice stuff to world gen itself other than adding the rocks.

Come on, don't be so harsh on Greg and completely ignore the fact that his mod is now a basically harder, more fun TFC...
Here's what I would do:
Completely remove the mod when using GregTech.
Fun Fact: I'm not even using Gregtech. I also enjoy TFC more then gerg tek. I really only liked Gregtech 1-4.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Halve the passive wither time. So day blooms "live" up to their name in more ways then one.

If possible double the infused mana pool mana cost.

Make every rune require an inexpensive non stacking tool (those fucking fishing rods!), fire needs an extra Flint'n'Steel, earth needs a stone shovel, air would need a bow, You could even tweak one in.

Make mana lenses require mana glass and an extra rune plus mana diamond when changing thier type (eg a potency lens would require 2 fire runes plus the mana diamond).

If possible remove the mana pearl alternative for mana tablet.

Mana steel armor requires a mana diamond and or a rune of mana in their construction. Give a similar treatment to Elementium and Terrasteel with their equvalent. Elementium has dragon stone, and terrasteel can use those natura pylons.

Nerf endoflames production further then Vaskii has.

If possible extend the conversion time of pure daisies.

Make grass blocks the apothecary catalyst if possible, as it gates Botania behind silk touch.

If you don't mind ext utils being present or useing quadrum. Make the petal apothecary use compressed cobble in its recipe or obsidian if you don't mind the visual inconsistencies.

That's all the changes I can think of that would make Botania suck all kinds of dong. Wait? What was this thread about again? Lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Halve the passive wither time. So day blooms "live" up to their name in more ways then one.
Nah.
If possible double the infused mana pool mana cost.
Sure.
Make every rune require an inexpensive non stacking tool (those fucking fishing rods!), fire needs an extra Flint'n'Steel, earth needs a stone shovel, air would need a bow, You could even tweak one in.
lol Why not.
Make mana lenses require mana glass and an extra rune plus mana diamond when changing thier type (eg a potency lens would require 2 fire runes plus the mana diamond).
Hmm.
If possible remove the mana pearl alternative for mana tablet.
Nah.
Mana steel armor requires a mana diamond and or a rune of mana in their construction. Give a similar treatment to Elementium and Terrasteel with their equvalent. Elementium has dragon stone, and terrasteel can use those natura pylons.
Nah.
Nerf endoflames production further then Vaskii has.
Maybe.
If possible extend the conversion time of pure daisies.
Nah.
Make grass blocks the apothecary catalyst if possible, as it gates Botania behind silk touch.
Nah, but I'll figure out how to gate Botania behind Silk touch because I like that concept.
If you don't mind ext utils being present or useing quadrum. Make the petal apothecary use compressed cobble in its recipe or obsidian if you don't mind the visual inconsistencies.
I'll think about.
That's all the changes I can think of that would make Botania suck all kinds of dong. Wait? What was this thread about again? Lol.
lol.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Make the Botania flowers actually require flowers. Not mystic ones, just normal ones that you have to find out there.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: RedBoss and adamich

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
If you're playing modded, then there's a high chance you're also using a biome mod as well. For example, Natura's black iris. It's largely pack dependant.

I do also want to add Thaumcraft shards to some recipes so that they aren't underutilized if one doesn't choose to take the Path of the Arcanist. Same with Blood Magic for Path of the Cabalist.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Fun Fact: I'm not even using Gregtech. I also enjoy TFC more then gerg tek. I really only liked Gregtech 1-4.
If you were fond of 1-4, be aware that GT5 has forked. GT5u is currently maintained by Blood Asp, is open source, and has implemented a ton of the awesome features you remember, including distillation towers, fusion power, multiblock turbines and generators, etc. Also some new stuff, like the processing array that lets you place up to 16 machines inside a single multiblock and have them function together.

I have no idea how this would function in a botania world though :p

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
If you were fond of 1-4, be aware that GT5 has forked. GT5u is currently maintained by Blood Asp, is open source, and has implemented a ton of the awesome features you remember, including distillation towers, fusion power, multiblock turbines and generators, etc. Also some new stuff, like the processing array that lets you place up to 16 machines inside a single multiblock and have them function together.

I have no idea how this would function in a botania world though :p
GT5 isn't exactly too much the same as 4, I'm sorta waiting on Tech Reborn.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
GT5 isn't exactly too much the same as 4, I'm sorta waiting on Tech Reborn.
I don't wanna drag this thread off topic. Its about Botania :)

That said, GT5? Nope, not at all like GT5.

GT5u? Much better. And who knows if Tech Reborn will ever get off the ground. GT5u is something you can use right away, and as they say, a bird in hand is worth five in the bush.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Here's some ideas:

* Completely omit any mystic flowers from blooming. Instead, use Agricraft hybridization to make you have to cross-breed your own flowers. Also, require a specific soil which mystic flowers needs to grow on that is only player-created with a suitably obnoxious recipe. You can also cap the growth from growthcraft to 1 to limit exponential growth. Also, make sure that any method used to auto-harvest them will be suitably gated behind expensive and obnoxiously created machines.

This keeps Botania from being Day One And Done, it requires you to spend a significant amount of time cross-breeding the flowers, and requires the specific soil that you can require certain ingredients to ensure that they will be gated behind this at least.

* Any 'passive' plant requires diamond dust as a component in the recipe to create.

* Flat across the board reduction in mana output, say 10%, and flat across the board increase in mana requirements for just about everything. You can claim the reduction in mana output isn't really a reduction in output, it is energy inefficiency. No energy storage device is 100% efficient, that breaks the laws of thermodynamics as we currently understand them. So have some 'energy loss' inherent in the system. In fact, I'd almost say, if it were possible, that for every ten points of mana the Mana Spreader only emits 8 or so, just to give you some kind of energy loss. Maybe a basic only emits 7, the elvin tech emits 8 and the gaia spirit tech emits 9, giving you more than just throughput as a reason to upgrade. Same concept with the mana pools. For every 10 points of energy stored, you can draw only 7, with the last three lost in the energy exchange.

* Increase the cost of materials required for runes. Have them all require some sort of silk-touch material (earth requires coal ore instead of coal block, etc...) to gate runes behind silk touch.

* Set up some sort of resource bleed system. Maybe flowers require petals or fertilizer every so often to 'repair' them, maybe mana pools lose durability when they gain or lose mana and need to be repaired periodically or they start 'leaking' and finally stop functioning. Maybe you have to replace the lens in the mana spreader every so often.

Reactions: Lyra_Chan

Lyra_Chan

Jul 29, 2019
Something I was thinking of doing for my personal pack is making mana steel actually require steel. It pushes some of the mod to a slightly later point in the game. Sure, it doesn't make it necessarily make the game harder, but it would be interesting.

Reactions: Azzanine

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
Something I was thinking of doing for my personal pack is making mana steel actually require steel. It pushes some of the mod to a slightly later point in the game. Sure, it doesn't make it necessarily make the game harder, but it would be interesting.
Doin it ;3 thnx bae.