Gregtania

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Something I was thinking of doing for my personal pack is making mana steel actually require steel. It pushes some of the mod to a slightly later point in the game. Sure, it doesn't make it necessarily make the game harder, but it would be interesting.
Something I've also been recently thinking about in my pack, having noticed how powerful the manasteel tools are.

Uristqwerty

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played Botania enough to consider all the content, but ways I would tweak what I know of Botania to be more like what I think of GregTech:

Change the petal recipes: Initially, petals can only be crafted in a player's crafting grid, at a rate of two flowers for one petal. Automation only becomes possible once the player has crafted a pair of manasteel shears, also improving efficiency to one flower for one petal. Enchanting the shears with silk touch increases the output by an additional petal per flower. Higher-tier materials may provide better output as well.

Change the Petal Apothecary: Crafting now takes time, and the rate of progress depends on the level of sunlight received. At full sunlight, it takes about a minute to finish, at 8 sunlight (accounting for both time of day and obstructions), it doesn't operate at all. This can be reduced if the player spends mana or creates infrastructure, only reaching instantaneous speeds at endgame tier setups and mana input. At some point, there is an option to easily automate the setups. Perhaps plant flowers nearby, send mana into a certain block, and the block will non-destructively take a petal from each flower (with significant cooldown, such as a full day to allow them to "regrow"), and try to craft the result of combining all of them.

Change crafting in general: Most of the more advanced items can only be crafted if certain plants are present in a 7x5x7 area around the crafting device. The presence of certain other plants blocks the recipe. Which plants affect each recipe varies, requiring players to either set up multiple partially-specialized crafting stations of each type, or manually switch out the environment on occasion.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
My knowlage about Botania is not perfect, but at last not bad.

My opinion is, that Botania has allready complex enough crafting and automating them is even more complicated. Making the recipes more complex or lowering the output amount does not make it better. That is just annoying grind and even hardcore GT players will not like that.

The mount of flowers spawning is massive overkill, so lowering the configs a lot is a good idea but does not really make it more difficult. Just makes the world look better for everyone who does not like so much flowers.

Replacing some materials with higher tier GT materials might be a good idea to integrate botania into the GT progression. But that should not be more than replacing iron with steel or gold with electrum. Maybe some endgame stuff with tungsten or so.

The real change that must be done to fit botania next got GT would be to lower the efficiency of many botania gadgets. Things like passive mana usage for some items (ring, sash, ...), lowering power of some endgame stuff. Maybe a mechanic that flowers lower thier output over time and need fertiliser from time to time to work efficiently? The worst problem with GT is maybe the duplication of some materials only using mana... That should be removed fully, or at last nerved.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Probably shouldn't have mentioned Gregtech. Now folks think you have Gregtech.
OP hasn't got Gregtech OP just wants to make Botania grindy AF.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if mentioned already or not, but Agricraft can help with getting various basic mystic flowers. Just have to twiddle with the mutations config to make it doable, and you can turn off the flower world gen.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2