Greg, you've done it...AGAIN !!!

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I had just barely gotten use to all the new changes in GregTech, when (silly me) I decided to update when I noticed I was a few versions behind...What on EARTH was I thinking !?

Gregs added tons of new materials and parts for all of them. Paper and plastic pulps and piles, new metals I can barely pronounce, tool parts. Whats going on here ? Is he planning on making a tink con-esque tool system in the future ? NEI Doesn't seem to be keeping up or I am just confused. Some people hate GT, some love it. I DID love it, but now its starting to seem convoluted more than ever. Am I insane or is there 2 versions of ALOT of GT metals ? WHY !?

What do you other GT lovers think about it all ?

Also...
Is there anywhere I can get a comprehensive explanation of what all this new stuff does and how to get it/process it all ?

snooder

Jul 29, 2019
Is there anywhere I can get a comprehensive explanation of what all this new stuff does and how to get it/process it all ?

BevoLJ has a pretty good series on Youtube that kinda shows you how to work through the new Gregtech tech tree. Check out his TechPack Let's Play.

Reactions: Padfoote

willis936

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't expect a customizable tinkers construct rip off coming out of gregtech. What I would expect are tons of ic2 recipe replacements that require extensive infrastructure and automation to make it practical to make most machines. I too love gregtech but the cripplingly broken state of ic2 1.6 has me playing with just about every other mod on my server. BC and TE bore me since they accomplish the same things except with less steps and calculations. ic2's e-net is completely borked right now. They've confused EU/p and EU/t in a very infuriating way. There's also a ton of machine and multiblock additions that either don't work or aren't there. Coupled with machines that have overlapping uses and new (why?) textures and it just feels like it's all going in the wrong direction or at the very least way too slow. Everyone else is already stable and kick ass on 1.6. Why isn't ic2?

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the people trying to keep ic2 going aren't as devoted as the cofh team is? It is a more complex mod, id assume its harder to maintain?

The power system is supposed to be fixed at some point, i dont know why everyone gets so upset - it works just like TE's RF system now. It's still better than TE in complexity, so im ok with it.

Actually ic2 fans should go around on TE threads and constantly complain that TE's conduits are now too tedious. "I don't want to be figuring out three different types of cables and different types of batteries, can someone who understands gaming please create a decent mod that just does what it does and gets out of my way?"
Wait, did you just say that TE's conduits and power system is too complicated? It's probably one of the easiest things to understand. There are four different types of batteries. The only difference between them is how much energy they can hold and how much energy then can import and export. That difference can be discerned from one glance at the GUI. Now about the conduits. There are three different conduits. Making them is a simple matter of either following the process through NEI or from a recipe online. And looking at the tooltip on them, we can see the difference between the conduits. Which is that they can only transport limited amounts of RF. I would argue that learning this is easier than learning how IC2 works, which is seeing how much EU each conduit or machine can take before it blows up as well as making sure to match the energy needed for each machine with power converters, correct cabling, etc. On the other hand, you can connect any amount of RF to your TE machines and they won't blow up in your face.

willis936

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe the people trying to keep ic2 going aren't as devoted as the cofh team is? It is a more complex mod, id assume its harder to maintain?

The power system is supposed to be fixed at some point, i dont know why everyone gets so upset - it works just like TE's RF system now. It's still better than TE in complexity, so im ok with it.

Actually ic2 fans should go around on TE threads and constantly complain that TE's conduits are now too tedious. "I don't want to be figuring out three different types of cables and different types of batteries, can someone who understands gaming please create a decent mod that just does what it does and gets out of my way?"
The new conduits are really great. Actually being able to tell what sides to not connect is amazing. My biggest issue is with fluiducts. They connect when two different liquids are in them and there's no way to keep them from mixing. There's also no stated throughput for each pipe. "It depends on the liquid" is not a good explanation. How many mB/t can get pulled from a source with a pneumatic servo? How many mB/t can get put through a fluiduct? What's the impact on mB/t of mixing fluids?

Also the reason I don't like the new EU system is because it eliminates the possibility for elegant power systems. Instead of having one main vein you need to branch off. A 3072 EU/t generator array powering 96 32 EU/t machines will need at least 24 LV transformers, 6 MV transformers, and 2 HV transformers. The same generator array could previously have used 6 MV transformers stepping up to 512 EU/p along a single line of diamond fibre cable with much less loss than anything possible now. You'd still need 6 MV and 24 LV transformers to step down but the layout would be much nicer: less materials, less loss. You could also just give the machines two MV upgrades and have a very compact design. Also with the new e-net you can't have any stray EU anywhere. That makes expansion incredibly difficult and requires the use of expensive energy storage devices to throttle output to machines. As a result machine expansion introduces a lot more tedious work to add 1-4 transformers every 4 machines.

Also I think he was joking about complaining about TE ducts.

Last edited:

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
They connect when two different liquids are in them and there's no way to keep them from mixing. There's also no stated throughput for each pipe. "It depends on the liquid" is not a good explanation. How many mB/t can get pulled from a source with a pneumatic servo? How many mB/t can get put through a fluiduct? What's the impact on mB/t of mixing fluids?
you can prevent liquid mixing by preventing connection via forge multipart microblocks, so i'm not sure what's your problem is here.

in TE2, i think, throughput was 160mb/t per connection point. i don't think there was a reason to change that. but if you want to test it, steam boilers and powerconverters should provide good test environment, as they did in days of TE2.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Uhhhh, yeah I think conduits are like as simple as it gets pretty much.
And whats this about the e-net ? I havent made it past the steam age yet, whats so different ?
The changes in GregTech for 1.6 in general, I did have a decent understanding of, but in the last few versions I have noticed alot of new metals, tool parts, other parts I dont yet comprehend like rings and rounds or whatever they are called. And there's 3 dust types, all the other random parts I have idea what do, and several ingots for each type of metal, alot of which weren't even there a few versions ago. It seems waaaay too convoluted now. I liked the idea of the tool age then bronze age progression, and making things harder was a good new challenge I enjoyed, but at this point I am just confused more that anything.
I also will agree with many people, that simply grinding doesn't make a challenge, it just eats time. A little grinding is okay, but making everything that way kind of sucks. Thank god I have Minetweaker and Greg's configs are actually pretty customizable, but I swear somehow GT even overrides some of the changes I make with Minetweaker ! How !?!

Also, why is there pulp and whatnot for paper and plastic in GT now ? What is it all for ? I keep praying that in a few updates, by 1.7 more than likely, this will all suddenly come together and we can see Greg's grand vision and it will somehow all make sense and just be awesome. Unfortunately, right now, it feels like madness !

willis936

Jul 29, 2019
Hooking up a generator and a bat box (32 EU/t + 10 EU/t) will blow up any machine that accepts up to 32 EU/t. It's unclear to me whether this means that EU packets combine so it will take a 32 EU packet and a 10 EU packet and turn it into 1 42 EU packet or if machines now take as many packets as they see as opposed to as many as necessary (in other words: a 32 EU/t machine will take in both the 32 EU packet and the 10 EU packet, see that it's taken in more than 32 EU this tick, and explode). Be prepared to clean up some messes.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
wow...what in the...I blame greg. As I do for eveything wrong in my life usually...Well I liked the old system, I hope they clean it up soon...

willis936

Jul 29, 2019
Well the messed up e-net rests squarely on the shoulders of ic2 (greg just happens to be a part of the ic2 dev team). Granted it's still "experimental" but it's rather disappointing to see a big mod still be experimental in 1.6 this late in the game. They're going to be quickly forgotten if they don't step up. While it's experimental all machine explosions and stuff are disabled. Greg is the one who re-enabled them so you can blame him on that one. Even if you disable machine explosions in the config you still might fry some wires.

EnzymeA113

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure Greg aims to make all metals in the game have a Gregtech version (complete with full oredict support). I don't see anything wrong with this, especially considering that everything will have an epic chemical notation (even thaumium, which i'm pretty sure is Th2Sn3 or something like that).

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure Greg aims to make all metals in the game have a Gregtech version (complete with full oredict support). I don't see anything wrong with this, especially considering that everything will have an epic chemical notation (even thaumium, which i'm pretty sure is Th2Sn3 or something like that).
I will start reffering to thaumium as Th2Sn3.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
A lot of this 'garbage' as you so elegantly put it hasn't been directly added by Greg, rather the result of his dynamic config and API coding.

I'm fairly certain the rounds and rings ect are from the UE mods, and as Greg does UE support then the UE components will be added to the oredict.
This conversion happens totally automatically- if you install Tinkers Construct you'll find ardite/cobalt/manyllyan components.​

What would be really useful is improved NEI integration- so things like 'chrome rounds' are hidden unless theres a specific use for them.

Things like 'dirty dust' and 'crushed ore' seem to be from IC2EXP- I think it gives slightly higher ore yields early game.

The EU/t limits and new Enet refers to total power- theres no Eu/packet anymore- just Eu/t.
  • 2 generates make 20Eu/t, not 2x10Eu/t. Simple. (this is a lot easier to understand than the old Eu/packet system)
However the Enet still has a few major bugs- so disabling machine explosions is a wise idea.​

Reactions: Padfoote