Greg, you've done it...AGAIN !!!

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Hooking up a generator and a bat box (32 EU/t + 10 EU/t) will blow up any machine that accepts up to 32 EU/t. It's unclear to me whether this means that EU packets combine so it will take a 32 EU packet and a 10 EU packet and turn it into 1 42 EU packet or if machines now take as many packets as they see as opposed to as many as necessary (in other words: a 32 EU/t machine will take in both the 32 EU packet and the 10 EU packet, see that it's taken in more than 32 EU this tick, and explode). Be prepared to clean up some messes.

Forget the whole packet system. It no longer applies. If you understand the difference between parallel and series circuits, the new and old system are much like them respectively. Old IC2 power worked in parallel. 10 generators put out still only put out 10 EU on the line, even though you get way more power. Kinda like adding extra ticks of just 10 EU. The new system works in series. Your power/t is a sum off all your inputs. The easiest way to deal with the new system is just to setup smaller networks with their own power storage/transfer system. Have your main power feed them. Another cheap way is just add transformer upgrades to your machines.

Darkone84

Jul 29, 2019
From the first time I played IC2 I always found the whole packet system strange. In some way its good that’s it’s been fixed but, I got so use to using it so you need to rethink your whole IC2 power grid now. I found myself using lots of transformer upgrades and using painted cables. The EU system is still broken is some ways and the EU meter doesn't work so you really don't know how much power your using.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I'd just like to add that if a mod doesnt bring enjoyment to your modded MC experience, you dont need to keep it in. I've left mods behind before and IMO am the better for it.

I liked Gregtech in 1.4.7. Even built four overlapping fusion reactors powered essentially on water. Brought the server to its knees with the fuel system alone. Now I dont like the direction it took so I took it out of my pack. I only mention this because you sound a bit fed up when you said "You've done it.... again". This is by no means to say its a bad mod, cause it does what its trying to accomplish quite amazingly. Just not for me, and maybe not you either.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
I'd just like to add that if a mod doesnt bring enjoyment to your modded MC experience, you dont need to keep it in. I've left mods behind before and IMO am the better for it.

I liked Gregtech in 1.4.7. Even built four overlapping fusion reactors powered essentially on water. Brought the server to its knees with the fuel system alone. Now I dont like the direction it took so I took it out of my pack. I only mention this because you sound a bit fed up when you said "You've done it.... again". This is by no means to say its a bad mod, cause it does what its trying to accomplish quite amazingly. Just not for me, and maybe not you either.

Same here. I loved GregTech in 1.4.7, 1.5.2, even in early 1.6.4. All the cool machines, multiblock structures and long production chains. But now it feels, like you are fighting the mod on every step instead of playing with. The world gen is completely getting out of hand and have you seen the hoops to jump through now for a simple thing like an electric circuit? Sorry, it's not fun anymore.

What it also means, is that IC2 will be the next to go, I was only using it as pre-req for GregTech anyway. And as far as I know, even Resonant Rise have it kicked out now as well from there future version.

Reactions: kaovalin

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
Well I guess if the "useless" stuff is either A. for UE mods I dont have, or B. going to be implemented in the future that is different. Regardless, Gregs got multiples of many ingots, and very little documentation on any of the new stuff. There's several new metals I'd never heard of and not sure if they have an ore or use yet, its just confusing. And I did get use to the EU system, but it may be better this way, which as Greg is developing IC2 now, I can still blame him for it maybe. Not really "blame" him I guess, because I think this may be better, I am just saying, that dude must code 24/7 or something...And actually we should probably appreciate it more and stop whining about it, or uninstall it. I am not one of them, but I think ALOT of people would go for a less intrusive, dumbed down easier version of GT. All I am saying is that adding a ton of new ores and metals and a ton of parts for each one with no documentation or explanation is just confusing.
I like alot of the new stuff Greg adds, and I like that he tries to make the game more challenging. I see this LetsPlays where everyones got whole warehouses with chests full of stacks and stacks of everything, then they say they've been playing for just a few days and I think "GOD, that would be boring." Progessing more slowly CAN be funner in some ways:

I have my world setup with day walkers, start out with 5 hearts, no stone or wood tools except weapons from Balkons Weapon mod and tents, so it is fun running around and living like a caveman scared for my life the first day or two. Greg's flint tools are actually more logical, and a little bit more challenging to get, but not too hard so its not annoying, just kind of fun. I would like to make my own mod requiring some sort of primitive tools in order to make flint tools/weapons, kind of like the hammer and file is used for metal weapons. Maybe I should play TerraFirmaCraft, but if there were a way to merge that and GregTech, I'd be all over it, and I know MOST people just hate them both, lol.

I just don't understand why Greg is the only mod to add this many ores OTHER than metallurgy, and then every single part and dust and tiny dust for each, and now paper and plastic of everything too, which is okay I guess, but a little info would probably help.

Reactions: xbony2 and zorn

willis936

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of metals (thankfully) never will have ores. They need to be made from refining and/or combining other materials.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I must be a strange one.

I love all the GT ores and ingots and dusts. I love how I can break an ore into X parts of element and Y smaller parts of another element. I really like how complicated it is to make "simple" things such as circuits, as it forces me to have an actual "electric circuit factory" of sorts if I want to reduce the tedium (or Applied Energistics...)

If I have an issue with GT and IC2/E these days, its that there's little to no information out there about additions outside of month-long threads full of useless banter. If I want to figure out what the deuce a steam furnace is good for, I have to fuddle my way through setting one up and seeing if I can figure out its uses.

PS: What IS the use of a steam furnace (I think thats what its called)? Its slow. I can't tell if its more fuel efficient, but it doesn't seem to be at a glance.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Steam furnace is just a steam age electric furnace. It might work out more fuel efficient if the boilers heated up.
I think theres also a steam alloy smelter which is more useful. (or an upgraded HP steam furnace)
Take a look at the Gtech wiki - fairly up to date with most the new stuff.

Also follow this LP- lot of stuff covered after the [optional] prologue.

Reactions: Pyure

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
I must be a strange one.

I love all the GT ores and ingots and dusts. I love how I can break an ore into X parts of element and Y smaller parts of another element. I really like how complicated it is to make "simple" things such as circuits, as it forces me to have an actual "electric circuit factory" of sorts if I want to reduce the tedium (or Applied Energistics...)

If I have an issue with GT and IC2/E these days, its that there's little to no information out there about additions outside of month-long threads full of useless banter. If I want to figure out what the deuce a steam furnace is good for, I have to fuddle my way through setting one up and seeing if I can figure out its uses.

PS: What IS the use of a steam furnace (I think thats what its called)? Its slow. I can't tell if its more fuel efficient, but it doesn't seem to be at a glance.

The part about the electric circuit factory is really what Greg is trying to do IMO. It sets up game progression also. The cutters are inefficient and it pushes you to make a machine that works more efficiently. Hammers are the worst for plates so you make a Bronze Age machine that saves you iron on hammers. And now that I finally have a plate bender it's very satisfying knowing I'm using my resources more efficiently.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The part about the electric circuit factory is really what Greg is trying to do IMO. It sets up game progression also. The cutters are inefficient and it pushes you to make a machine that works more efficiently. Hammers are the worst for plates so you make a Bronze Age machine that saves you iron on hammers. And now that I finally have a plate bender it's very satisfying knowing I'm using my resources more efficiently.
100% agree. And though it puts me (and seemingly yourself) in the minority, I really love it :)[DOUBLEPOST=1393335819][/DOUBLEPOST]
Steam furnace is just a steam age electric furnace. It might work out more fuel efficient if the boilers heated up.
I think theres also a steam alloy smelter which is more useful. (or an upgraded HP steam furnace)
Take a look at the Gtech wiki - fairly up to date with most the new stuff.

Also follow this LP- lot of stuff covered after the [optional] prologue.

Reactions: zorn

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
####################
# blastfurnacerequirements
####################

blastfurnacerequirements {
B:aluminium_true=true
B:blacksteel_true=true
B:cerium_true=true
B:chrome_true=true
B:chromite_true=true
B:damascussteel_true=true
B:dysprosium_true=true
B:electrumflux_true=true
B:enderium_true=true
B:erbium_true=true
B:europium_true=true
B:gadolinium_true=true
B:holmium_true=true
B:kanthal_true=true
B:lanthanum_true=true
B:lutetium_true=true
B:neodymium_true=true
B:praseodymium_true=true
B:promethium_true=true
B:samarium_true=true
B:scandium_true=true
B:shadowsteel_true=true
B:silicon_true=true
B:stainlesssteel_true=true
B:steel_true=true
B:terbium_true=true
B:thulium_true=true
B:titanium_true=true
B:tungstate_true=true
B:tungsten_true=true
B:tungstensteel_true=true
B:ultimet_true=true
B:ytterbium_true=true
B:yttrium_true=true
}

####################
# blastinductionsmelter
####################

blastinductionsmelter {
B:aluminium_false=false
B:blacksteel_true=true
B:cerium_true=true
B:chrome_false=false
B:chromite_false=false
B:damascussteel_false=false
B:dysprosium_false=false
B:electrumflux_false=false
B:enderium_false=false
B:erbium_false=false
B:europium_true=true
B:gadolinium_false=false
B:holmium_false=false
B:kanthal_false=false
B:lanthanum_true=true
B:lutetium_false=false
B:neodymium_true=true
B:praseodymium_true=true
B:promethium_true=true
B:samarium_true=true
B:scandium_false=false
B:shadowsteel_false=false
B:silicon_false=false
B:stainlesssteel_false=false
B:steel_true=true
B:terbium_false=false
B:thulium_false=false
B:titanium_false=false
B:tungstate_false=false
B:tungsten_false=false
B:tungstensteel_false=false
B:ultimet_false=false
B:ytterbium_true=true
B:yttrium_false=false
}

I am not sure if I can even pronounce some of these...I didn't install metallurgy because I didn't want tons and tons of metals. That reminds me of those dime a dozen mods 1000s of people use to make with new tools and weapons with higher durabilty and new colors. After a certain point, unless there is new functionality, its just annoying. I have faith though, and I think Greg will make sense of all this in 1.7. Too bad i am waiting on 200 other mods to update as well. Anyone tried 1.7 IC2 ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
@Sigma85 Please put that in spoiler tags thanks.

I have faith in Greg's abilities with the new metals; his dynamic configs and API work is a very powerful code- a lot of items are added automatically via the ore dictionary. He's probably not far off something to 'hide' the extra metals if theres no specific use other than plates/dust/ingots.

Totally agree.
He's done the same with bronze progression- slapping 4 ingots into the table gives 1 bronze, but blending dusts gives 3. I think using an alloy smelter now gives 4 (the forestry ratio). A lot of design has gone into the early and mid game, as well as the late game stuff everyone uses.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
is the BBCode or whatever with brackets like .[ spoiler/ ] blah blah blah .[ spoiler ] ?

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
The thing with all the different metal types being able to make different fiddly bits for machines is, as far as I can tell, so that eventually you can make machines from different metals and have them look different. The metal type can also change the gui colors. Pretty sure it's not fully implemented. Seems like something he's been working on since he added plates of made of arbitrary metals.

Sigma85

Jul 29, 2019
if it isnt implemented, how did you know ? I did see that you can paint some machines. Now that I have more insight, and some time to think about it, I am actually a little excited more than frustrated to see what all of this is going to become. Im still a little unsure about having such a ridiculous amount of elements though, especially alot of which require many complicated steps to acquire with much infrastructure. I am enjoying the parts of GregTech that push you into building infrastructure and reward you for making new machines that before would have only been a convenience or speed benefit to build. Saving resources is a must with GT, especially in my world with Custom Ore Gen and a ton of "hardcore" changes. I hope in the next weeks and months, mods start coming out with stable 1.7 releases, including GT...

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
The different types of metal is already brilliantly useful- you can adjust your recipes to suit your material supply and progression.

Oops, Greg did it again.
He messed with his mod,
He pissed people off!

Greg could say 'I like icecream' and they'll be a flame war about icecream being too cold.