Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood what people's problem is with Gregtech, they just keep nagging about every single change he makes to his mod yet they forget it is his mod you don't go to an obsidian tools mod nagging about there being obsidian tools. Its their mod they add what they want and then if people like what that mod adds then they download it.

Now with that said I didn't like Mdiyo's action on Greg's changes, if she didn't like the changes he made then she has to live with it or not use his mod, it's not like he's changing the vanilla game, if people download his mod that means they want the features in it no need for other mods to change them. However I do think Greg's last response was indeed immature, there was a solution and everything could have ended in good faith yet he wanted to laugh last. I'm still going to use Tinker's construct and I'm still going to use Gregtech for their features only.

haisho

Jul 29, 2019
Since somebody bought up law, I thought I'd bring up something really interesting to think about.

Due to Greg's changes, he may very well have landed himself in some hot water by introducing code that deliberately compromises and sabotages the functionality of Minecraft. Mojang may be lax, but are they willing to allow modders who are willing to compromise the functioning of a retail product?

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
Solely based on this bit:
Greg crashed the client for mDiyo doing to his mod,what he's done to other mods.
But they are allowing this, isn't it?
The problem is he took it out on the end user, me.
This is because this is not a enterprise solution you paid for. This is developed by people, not faceless corporations, and you, as end-user, will sometimes catch errors based not on managment errors or production failures, but on human flaws. Am I incorrect about this?

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
Why does mDiyo denerf GT's nerfs? I think he does it just for trolling. That's the reason I lost respect for mDiyo. He makes great mods, sure. He might be kind, sure. But he shouldn't troll other developers, but that's just my opinion.

Also, it really bothers me jadedcat is taking part in this discussion while she is a mod AND part of the FTB staff.

Reactions: Itaros

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't nice indeed. But I don't mind it. I don't think it's childish. It's a sign from Greg yo let end users now what mDiyo is doing.

And yes, this damaged my respect for mDiyo.

Let's say there is a little boy named Jimmy. He spends all his allowance on a cool game he saw his friends play called Minecraft. He goes on his merry way for a couple of months. But, after some time, Jimmy starts to get bored of this game, so he decides to call his older brother to help him install some modifications to his favorite game. His brother reads carefully over what this mod called GregTech does. The information about GregTech doesn't state anything about being malicious/crashing/etc., so he installs it for Jimmy with a couple of other modifications. The next day, little Jimmy wakes up from bed excited to play Minecraft again. Unfortunately for him, though, when he starts up his game, it crashes and he can no longer play his favorite game anymore that he spent all of his allowance on, and his brother wasn't even warned by the GregTech information on the OP of his thread that it was malicious or anything.

You may not mind it, but it ruins other people's games and they sure mind it.

Vermillion

Jul 29, 2019
This problem affects no one here. The problem was solved by GregoriusT and mDiyo within a day of cropping up. The decision of whether it stays in the Ultimate pack is SlowPoke's. All other packs have their respective developers to make that decision for them, so if you don't play Ultimate: Complain to your packs' developers and not here. The people who hate GregTech here are the minority in the face of SlowPoke who put this mod in every version of the pack and whose decision it is. Meaning, that SlowPoke is in all likelihood a firm supporter of GregTech.

So let's go over the facts:
  • Yes, we all know Greg is Dick. I'm not arguing on that point.
  • Yes, Greg made his mod crash-on-startup if you had a certain version of Tinker's Construct installed with it.
  • Yes, that was a bad thing to do. But it is GregoriusT's mod. Not yours, not mine, not mDiyos and not FTBs. It's up to him how it works, what machines it has, how it adjusts the content of other related mods and whether or not it crashes or not. You can disagree with it all you want. But the only thing you can do is uninstall GregTech or find a server that doesn't use it.
  • No, this crash-on-startup version is not and will not be part of any Feed The Beast modpack. If it has been already, it's the pack developer's fault for releasing a faulty pack without checking the contents.
  • No, GregoriusT doesn't care what you think of him or his mod. You didn't pay for it, you don't own it and you have no say in how he should govern it. It's his property and he's letting FTB use it free of charge. The only profit he and ANY modder gets from their mods is in the form of donations. If the people who really care don't like this stunt, they won't donate and that's the only way this will affect him.
  • No, Posting over and over in this thread about how much of an asshat Greg is for doing this won't get you anything, not even post count.
Honestly, I think the Forum mods should just close this thread and any others the crop up like it. It won't affect greg and the decision regarding it's life in the pack is up to SlowPoke and no amount of huffing-and-puffing will make him change his mind. Flaming others because they either defend Greg's actions (Ragnoff vs Hoho) or repeatedly declare their undying hatred for Greg is childish at best.

Right now, this is the same as a religious debate. With one side saying God is real and the other saying God is a lie, but both agreeing that the Church (not god) is still responsible for millions of innocent deaths in god's name. (No, this does not liken Greg to god.)

Reactions: walnutthief

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I love it how I'm reading this and people just keep posting so it's almost infinite.

Maybe greg is being an ass. A lot of people here seem to be saying that.
But him being an ass, or really mean, or whatever, isn't going to stop me from enjoying his mod.
When I download a mod, I download it because it has cool features, or it is really helpful in one way or another, etc, I get it for the content, not because the modder is really nice, or really cool, or whatever. I don't base my decision on stuff like that.
Flowerchild is a nutball (I think everyone can agree with that) but that hasn't stopped people from downloading and loving BTW.

I'm not going to remove greg tech from my minecraft. I love what it does, and I'm not going to remove it because greg does something stupid.

Many early artiest were crazy, but that didn't stop people from enjoying their art.
I am sure most of us here would & will respect you dissension, you are free to do what you enjoy most & dude props, let not one tell you how to play or not just enjoy you game time.

Reactions: xbony2

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
So if an artist said that "if you put this art in a museum with mine, I'll burn down the museum so noone can see either", you'd respect the artist and still appreciate his art?

Sure.
I never said I respected the artist in the first place. I don't really care too much about the artist, what matters to me is the art.

Reactions: MoltenX

MoltenX

Jul 29, 2019
I never understood what people's problem is with Gregtech, they just keep nagging about every single change he makes to his mod yet they forget it is his mod you don't go to an obsidian tools mod nagging about there being obsidian tools. Its their mod they add what they want and then if people like what that mod adds then they download it.

Now with that said I didn't like Mdiyo's action on Greg's changes, if she didn't like the changes he made then she has to live with it or not use his mod, it's not like he's changing the vanilla game, if people download his mod that means they want the features in it no need for other mods to change them. However I do think Greg's last response was indeed immature, there was a solution and everything could have ended in good faith yet he wanted to laugh last. I'm still going to use Tinker's construct and I'm still going to use Gregtech for their features only.
I will kind of agree and disagree of this. It's true that it's his mod and he can do we. he wants with it. And what I disagree is that you ignore the fact that he made the game crash if a mod is changing his changes. He is literally forcing people to remove his mod or the mod that is changing what he is changing, or forcing the modoffers to change stuff in THEIR mod just so it can work with gt.

MarQan

Jul 29, 2019
Greg didn't want any exploits to f*ck with his work. That's completely acceptable for me.
He's going in a way where the game is more challenging, needs more planning (or more time if you're an algae); if someone's starting to pull him back, he just cuts the rope. If you want exploits, don't use GregTeh.
It was obvious that there were going to be non-compatible mods, and that some modders will be more defensive than others.

mDiyo creates "exploits" to counter GregTech's "changes", then comes to the FTB forums, puts GregTech changes in context, then starts flaunting.

As antipathetic mDiyo is, I don't think any one of them is "right" or "wrong". They're not going the same direction, their mods are not compatible --> end of story.

I wouldn't want to play EE2 with GregTech..

Reactions: netchip and Itaros

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
Why does mDiyo denerf GT's nerfs? I think he does it just for trolling. That's the reason I lost respect for mDiyo. He makes great mods, sure. He might be kind, sure. But he shouldn't troll other developers, but that's just my opinion.

Also, it really bothers me jadedcat is taking part in this discussion while she is a mod AND part of the FTB staff.
Because Greg's config options didn't work with TC, so he decided to opt to the pre-nerf? It's not that complicated.

Shouldn't troll other developers my ass, greg has a putrid "pumpkin of shame" list. It requires 42 config options to disable, and everyone still sees it on multiplayer. That isn't trolling? No, it isn't trolling- it's what a five year old would do if they were a developer.

Stop kissing Greg's ass and open your eyes for a minute. I play with GT and I haven't actually touched any of mDiyos mods yet- I side with mDiyo because he isn't an insane person with a power complex.

I never said I respected the artist in the first place. I don't really care too much about the artist, what matters to me is the art.
Won't get much time to see the art when everything crashes and burns anyways, will you? Greg doing this once shows that he is more than willing to do it again- and his constant "IDGAF" attitude about modpacks, despite him showing that he has at least some vested interest in them, should be more than enough to get him booted from FTB.

Sub

Jul 29, 2019
I will kind of agree and disagree of this. It's true that it's his mod and he can do we. he wants with it. And what I disagree is that you ignore the fact that he made the game crash if a mod is changing his changes. He is literally forcing people to remove his mod or the mod that is changing what he is changing, or forcing the modoffers to change stuff in THEIR mod just so it can work with gt.

But why would other modders want to change his mod? It's as if I were to make a mod to revert the changes in TerraFirmaCraft because it makes the game hard. If people didn't want Greg's changes they wouldn't download the mod. Why don't I go and complain about the Dirt to Diamonds mod being overpowered?

Reactions: Itaros

Hyperme

Popular Member
Apr 3, 2013
This is because this is not a enterprise solution you paid for. This is developed by people, not faceless corporations, and you, as end-user, will sometimes catch errors based not on managment errors or production failures, but on human flaws. Am I incorrect about this?

It is NEVER okay to solve you petty idiotic ego-driven disputes by attacking a third party. NEVER.

I could go on, but fuck you for thinking that, okay?

Reactions: Blu_Haze and Flipz

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
It would've been fine if Greg had warned people that his mod contained this crap. But, instead he decided to first blame mDiyo for it, and then, once he admitted he put it in, insult anyone who said it was the wrong decision. This crosses the line. FTB trusted him by putting his mod in their pack and now he broke that trust frankly.

Reactions: Flipz and static7s

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
Greg didn't want any exploits to f*ck with his work. That's completely acceptable for me.
He's going in a way where the game is more challenging, needs more planning (or more time if you're an algae); if someone's starting to pull him back, he just cuts the rope. If you want exploits, don't use GregTeh.
It was obvious that there were going to be non-compatible mods, and that some modders will be more defensive than others.

mDiyo creates "exploits" to counter GregTech's "changes", then comes to the FTB forums, puts GregTech changes in context, then starts flaunting.

As antipathetic mDiyo is, I don't think any one of them is "right" or "wrong". They're not going the same direction, their mods are not compatible --> end of story.

Now replace "exploits" with "re-adding vanilla recipes" and see how silly this post sounds. The fact of the matter is Greg changed many vanilla recipes, mDiyo coded one back in, and then Greg threw a hissy fit until he got his way and was proud of doing so. Was mDiyo in the right in changing what is supposedly a configurable change? I don't know because some people said the configs for it didn't work and others said it did. Was Greg in the right for introducing malicious code into his mod that force crashed a game because he didn't like someone doing to him what he does to every mod he touches? That's an obvious no.

MoltenX

Jul 29, 2019

He have to live with that, or just remove the thing that is cousing this exploit and not just make your game crash purposely. As a matter of fact, EE3 is a great example with the new system ;)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
edited for ease of viewing !!

Honestly, I think the Forum mods should just close this thread and any others the crop up like it. It won't affect greg and the decision regarding it's life in the pack is up to SlowPoke and no amount of huffing-and-puffing will make him change his mind. Flaming others because they either defend Greg's actions (Ragnoff vs Hoho) or repeatedly declare their undying hatred for Greg is childish at best.

Right now, this is the same as a religious debate. With one side saying God is real and the other saying God is a lie, but both agreeing that the Church (not god) is still responsible for millions of innocent deaths in god's name. (No, this does not liken Greg to god.)

wow spamming large font make your argument more valid than any one else, beware the might of Jaded & LB, plus you maybe forget that often here there are topics that on 99% of other forums would be locked in seconds, we as forumers normally help police our selves & keep topics open until some one come with a concerted effort to get it locked.

& 99% of the time opposing views are not met with insults or ridicule, not all forums can boast that.

Status
Not open for further replies.