GraviChest vs. Jetpack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Just made my Gravi, and I must say, Ive already been quite introduced to the lava-proofness of my current gear due to the difference between the Gravi and the good ol' jetpack. Ive spent the last day telling myself to get used to it, get used to it, and maybe I will eventually. However it just seems like it can be improved a bit to make things much easier on the player. Here are my ideas for you to flame into oblivion as your leisure.

Engine ignition should have two modes.
  • Mode1: Engine off until user turns it on. Engine off only when user turns it off (standard)
  • Mode2: Engine off until user jumps. While user is off the ground, engine remains on. When user touches ground engine turns off. Safetydance: In mode2 if user falls more than (fall damage distance) blocks, Engine engages slowfall mode until touching down where it then turns off, or if space is pressed while falling, enters standard hover mode.
Basically, Id like it to work like the jetpack in terms of it not using energy when im walking on the ground, and to be flexible with what it does when im not on the ground.

TLDR version: Can I has plz Gravichest not use energy when im on the ground thx guy.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember to press F when your not using it, and/or map it to a different key that's in your preferred spot, such as mouse button 4 or 5.

Also, if your gravisuit is running out of energy, make a ultimate solar helmet, then use glass roofs, or no roof. Your suit will almost never deplete when your helmet makes 512 eu/t.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Just remember to press F when your not using it, and/or map it to a different key that's in your preferred spot, such as mouse button 4 or 5.

As DZ Creeper said, There is a hotkey for turning your gravi engine on and off. The default key for this is 'F'

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies!

I already do use my middle mouse button to turn it on or off, but it seems like it should be at least as smart about knowing when youre not flying around, and thereby not use energy, as the jetpack. I find myself using the jetpack still when not needing the stable hover, plus it uses much much less energy for roughly the same flight time (negligible I know). Its a bit of a nuisance to have to press the key each time I land, and then again when I want to lift off again, when I do that countless times in the span of an hour. It will be much easier out in the open where the ult solar helm will negate the annoyance of turning it on and off constantly, but i rather not have to redo my entire base with glass just to make up for the shortcoming of a mod that can be improved.

Thanks for the link, noskk!

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the need to turn the gravisuit flying on and off is an intended feature to sort offset how overpowered the suit is
(for the record I actually like the suit and am not complaining about it being overpowered :p)

Reactions: Confidential1207

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
My usual way to fly is to boost run+ high jump (quantum boots ability), and then press F when I am at mid-air to activate the flying ability, and then press F again at mid air to turn it off when I reach my destination (assuming you have the quantum boot to prevent fall damage).

Boost key during flying will also make you fly faster..

I think I move my boost key to 'Q', and set this B:enableQuantumSpeedOnSprint to false..

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it needs a gregtech superadvancedgravsuitchestplate that costs 3 gravsuits and 6 netherstars to gain automated functionality...

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe it needs a gregtech superadvancedgravsuitchestplate that costs 3 gravsuits and 6 netherstars to gain automated functionality...

He won't do that; similar thing like that had been suggested numerous time in the IC2 GT thread and ofc.. ignored..

In fact, gravSuit superconductor is more expensive than GT superconductor..

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the need to turn the gravisuit flying on and off is an intended feature to sort offset how overpowered the suit is
(for the record I actually like the suit and am not complaining about it being overpowered :p)

Not sure if thats why but if it is that would be really bad. Never offset perks with an annoyance. The whole idea behind upgrades is to get rid of annoyances. I rather this think used 20% more power and didnt have to be turned off each and every-time I landed. I dont see the point of it being more annoying to use than the low-end jetpack.

Perhaps they intended it to be only for a long-range adventure sort of suit, not an inbase agile sort of thing? But then that conflicts with the hovermode being very useful in base. Maybe ive gotten too used to the jetpack. When I want to fly all i do it press jump and im away. Not jump oops forgot to press engine on, ok engine on, jump, oops got to doubletap, -5 min later out of juice becuse I forgot to turn it off for the 50th time-

Bigglesworth

Jul 29, 2019
My usual way to fly is to boost run+ high jump (quantum boots ability), and then press F when I am at mid-air to activate the flying ability, and then press F again at mid air to turn it off when I reach my destination (assuming you have the quantum boot to prevent fall damage).

Boost key during flying will also make you fly faster..

I think I move my boost key to 'Q', and set this B:enableQuantumSpeedOnSprint to false..
Yes thats the way Ive been doing it. Sprint->Jump->Middlemousebutton(flymode) and Im away. basically the same as with the jetpack, except with the jetpack I dont have to do that last button click everytime, and for me that is much easier when im doing that literally hundreds of times inbase and I only need a small boost that the jetpack mode1 provides. When I want to go higher faster on the jetpack the middlemouse is bound to the mode change and I fly up as quickly as the gravi. And then after landing I dont have to think about engine off rubbish. It sounds liek a small thing, but when you do this many many many times you start to miss the jetpack set it and forget it. The gravi has hover and speed over a long distance (something i dont need in base, but out in the world is fantastic as I am not landing nearly as much then anyway). For this reason I still carry the jetpack and gravi with me. Id really liek to ditch the jetpack, but it is frankly superior to the gravi when in base, and I think thats silly.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
Idk why but rarely use the jetpack since I got my ultimate hybrid+grav suit..maybe because I can just high jump to reach higher place; and the fact I can fly faster with it.. but your suggestion to automatically turn off the engine when you are on the ground is pretty good..

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I have to agree here. I just finished the GraviSuit yesterday and was all excited to use it and now I'm likely to throw it in the bin as the jetpack is so much more useful. Worst controls ever. Why on earth do I have to turn it off when my feet are on the ground? Waste of time, do not bother to craft one.

Confidential1207

Jul 29, 2019
I think it is a mechanic meant for the mod. If you want it to have jetpack controls, make your own mod or edit it. ( Meant this in the best way possible)

Vilmos

Jul 29, 2019
I think it is a mechanic meant for the mod. If you want it to have jetpack controls, make your own mod or edit it. ( Meant this in the best way possible)

Hey I only offer criticism to help the modpack author...assuming they want people to actually use it. As for making my own mod, yeah I'm considering it, but not to make jetpacks. Then again now that I'm thinking about it a Steve's Carts approach to jetpacks might be fun.

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is that when it is "on" it still acts like creative mode flight, meaning you have to double jump to turn it "on" again. Why have two separate activation mechanics built in? Either you have a toggle and it is always on when you have it toggled on, or you have it activate when it is being used automatically. Either would be a vast improvement over the current system where the toggle is not "on" so much as "can be on but going to draw power even if not".

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019
I'd love to have a mode where "double-jumping" turned it on automatically, and being on the ground turned it off. I've gotten used to hitting F but it can still get cumbersome and obnoxious sometimes.

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
I strongly disagree with the popular opinion in this thread it seems.

The Gravitation Suit is an extremely useful item, superior to all other chestpieces in FTB (until/if they add MPS). It enables Creative flight which is much easier to use than any other mod-style flight, especially the IC2 jetpack (eugh), but most importantly it also duplicates all the functions of the Quantumsuit Chestpiece and the Ultimate Lappack.

Finally being able to have both strong protection and a lappack for extended electric tool use all the time without swapping chestpieces is ideal for doing pretty much anything in the game. It works wonders with the Vajra too. :D

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I strongly disagree with the popular opinion in this thread it seems.

The Gravitation Suit is an extremely useful item, superior to all other chestpieces in FTB (until/if they add MPS). It enables Creative flight which is much easier to use than any other mod-style flight, especially the IC2 jetpack (eugh), but most importantly it also duplicates all the functions of the Quantumsuit Chestpiece and the Ultimate Lappack.

Finally being able to have both strong protection and a lappack for extended electric tool use all the time without swapping chestpieces is ideal for doing pretty much anything in the game. It works wonders with the Vajra too. :D
All that is great, and none of us would disagree with it I think. Every opinion in this thread has been about the activation method, something you never mentioned once. So your initial statement has not been backed up. If you disagree with the opinions expressed in this thread then that means you feel the activation method is good/ideal/optimal/suitable (depending on who you are disagreeing with). If so, please state the case for that, as what you posted is superfluous to the conversation at hand.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
I am glad that the jetpack still has some advantage, and the GS isn't just better in every single aspect. It's a choice, choice is good. Having one item completely obsolete another is not good, no matter the cost.