Got Wood? Use it!

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
He uses DW20 -> no GregTech -> no Scaffolding nerf.
In a GT environment just use a sawmill for maximizing gain. I haven't done the math, if the TE sawmill or the GT sawmill would produce more EU, when all the energy used for intermediate steps has been substracted.
Bonus for TE sawmill + powered furnace (for the charcoal): cheaper to build.
Bonus for GT sawmill: Uses EU which is produced here.

I live in a GT environment and, according to his site/forum, he isn't nerfing the scaffolds. Or his forum isn't updated to reflect that he is nerfing scaffolds? Either way, I did the maths and using a GT sawmill [only way to get the sawdust], you'll turn 3 logs into 16 scaffolds. Now 16 scaffolds = 12k EU = 3 Charcoal. So using this method, in a GT environment, will actually produce a net loss of EU, assuming you only use EU-machines for log->scaffold processing. To utilize the sawdust, you'd need to process 8 logs, to get 8 sawdust, and then put the 8 sawdust into a compressor to get a wood plate = charcoal. You could also craft the 8 sawdust into compressed sawdust and then smelt to get charcoal.

This is the only way to see any gain in EU production using this method in a GT environment. And the gain is pretty small considering the complexity of the system. Damn shame, as I thought we were supposed to be rewarded for complex builds. I can appreciate the "Rube Goldberg-esque" nature of this build but wouldn't recommend it in GT-enabled worlds.

Myself, I'm just going to go the log->charcoal route using iron furnaces and moving stuff around with routers.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
You're necroing a thread that's over 2 months old...
I am providing maths/logics relative to this method of EU gen when living in a GT environment. According to most forum moderators, useful information posted to "old" threads is a good thing. And lastly, what is an approximate length of time since thread creation/last thread posting for any new posts to that thread to be considered a "necro post", since 2 months doesn't seem all that long to me?

Edit: while I have you here, Hydra, you stated GT nerfed scaffolds. GT forum states this is not the case. Gregarious lists exactly what GT nerfs/changes and scaffolds are not included [as far as I could see]. Where upon do you base your claim?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: while I have you here, Hydra, you stated GT nerfed scaffolds. GT forum states this is not the case. Gregarious lists exactly what GT nerfs/changes and scaffolds are not included [as far as I could see]. Where upon do you base your claim?

Usage. I don't know if the change has been reverted but 'way back' it significantly lowered the amount of scaffolds you'd get from the recipe.

And that's kinda why necroing old threads is a bad thing: mods change fast and people often don't see the date of the opening post and start reading stuff that's completely outdated. Aside from that: this thread was already about something (burning scaffolds) that everyone knows about anyway so you're adding to a topic that's both outdated and rather useless. Just my opinion though, I'm not the forum police ;)