Good vs. Evil

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
8 for some reason the fan turned on regardless if I powered the base of the transistor or not. If I removed the transistor (but left the rest the same) it didn't turn on though so I'm guessing that that thing is defective of something?

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
7 sounds like it. Short somewhere in it, or short in the solder that got removed when you removed it

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
7 decided to try and get awesome to work inside mate again because I really like awesome but dare not to use it on laptops and combining it with mate may remedy that. Current result:
upload_2019-7-6_1-44-23.png

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
6 awesome?
7 if you ask what awesome is: Its a window manager (Aka, the program that dictates which programs need to be drawn where on the screen) I like this one mainly due to how flexible it is and how much keyboard shortcuts there are or can be created. Both those things allow me to not even need a titlebar which I also like.

The problem is that you basically need to add anything you want to always be on screen by yourself. This is not exactly a problem in a rather static environment like a desktop but on a laptop I rather not discover that I haven't implemented something yet that I need (like a way to easily turn down the volume, have a way to select WiFi network, etc).

Enter mate: Mate is a full blown desktop environment. Meaning it has everything you need. It has its own window manager, already comes with sane defaults and has everything easily accessible in a menu without you having to write that by yourself. Its THE thing I use on laptops and actually used it for a long time on my desktop as well.

Now I am trying to switch out Mates window manager, called Marco for awesome. That way I have the best of both worlds: See that battery icon? I didn't write that, it is there because of Mate. Same is true for the sound. WiFi and Bluetooth. Also, the entire left panel is a basic configuration for Mate.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
2. Feeling full of energy this morning. And by full of energy I mean running on about 4 hours of bad sleep, and adrenaline. I feel slightly twitchy