Good vs. Evil

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
40 especially when you break your computer by accidentally unstalling something you REALLY shouldn't have removed.
Like, I don't know, the thing that sets the DNS settings of your computer correctly.

Luckily everything seems stable now, so....

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
39. Could you explain what significance that has?
39 a DNS server changes url's to ip addresses.
so, lets say google.com has an ip address of 8.8.8.8 and you want your browser to go to it.
you type in google.com and hit enter
your browser asks your OS to get the ip address belonging to "google.com".
your OS forwards this request to the DNS server that was set and returns the answer to your browser
your browser now sends the request to 8.8.8.8
you are happy because you get google's web page.

If however your DNS gets miss configured, which happened to me your OS won't be able to get the IP address of google.com and thus your browser can't display that page.
You however are still connected to the internet, so if you know that googles IP address is 8.8.8.8 then you can just type that instead and everything still works*

* loading a web page needs multiple requests with the server and if one of those uses a name instead of an IP address you still end up in trouble

edit: also, there are a few extra steps before your OS will actually make a request to a DNS server. Looking in its own cache and hostfile for example.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
39 yep. I rather had that X.org got deleted than to have that happen.

Sure, I suddenly don't have a nice gui and need to fix it using a terminal but at least I can still download the things I need to fix it. Not to mention the fact that I know what to look for in that case.

playerismc

Jul 29, 2019
34 enjoy the time in school. that's better than working. I have to wake up at 6 am, am out of the house half an hour later and am home again at 5 pm. so, I am basically 10h 30min out of the house.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
33 and... shutter crashes when you want to use it to make a screenshot while an instance of it is already running.
The fact that it is meant to stay running in the background isn't exactly helping >_>

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
33 and... managed to "fix" it
rather than running the command
"shutter -a" once when I press the print screen button, it now gets executed twice.
Meaning that if it wasn't running when I pressed the button, it first makes a screenshot and then crashes and if it was running when I press the button it first crashes and then takes a screenshot.

Not the most elegant solution, but it'll work for now

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
503 Service Unavailable
The server is currently unable to handle the request due to a temporary overload or scheduled maintenance, which will likely be alleviated after some delay.

The server MAY send a Retry-After header field1 to suggest an appropriate amount of time for the client to wait before retrying the request.

Note: The existence of the 503 status code does not imply that a server has to use it when becoming overloaded. Some servers might simply refuse the connection.
taken from https://httpstatuses.com/503