Good vs. Evil

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
44 It's a week where I don't have school or have to do anything. I'm not doing anything huge, just going home for the week.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
41 so... I discovered that my window manager knows when I'm using Vim and automatically expands its build-in helper to include a vim cheat sheet. SO HANDY!

I am now also using another terminal to get around a certain issue with mate-terminal and my WM. This does seem to break caja's (my file manager) open in terminal button though :(

I also changed the colors of the ls command as some where not readable in the new terminal (it was blue on green. Now its just blue)

I guess I should just make a list of software that I often use and check if it is from mate and replace it if it is. Or just remove mate first and see what breaks :p

duckfan77

Popular Member
Mar 18, 2013
40 Re-encoding is a pain... I've had my CPU pinned for a while now because I can't use my GPU to speed the re-encoding.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
41 just did a quick look at what gets pulled by mate
Galculater -> its the best calculator for computers. So... guess I will keep that one installed. Lets hope it doesn't pull too much mate stuff in.
Eye of mate->basic photo viewer. feh can almost replace it so...meh
pluma->already have gedit, geany, vim and nano. I basically never used it.
caja-> worst case scenario I just start to really use my terminal
engrampa->basically winrar/7zip. Surely replaceable by something....
atril->used to open all kinds of documents. I only need it for pds's though, which firefox can do.
mate-systemmonitor->basically taskmanager. Guess its time to learn top/htop in combination with kill?
mate-screensaver->already have xscreensaver installed
mate-screenshot->no idea yet. I guess shutter, though that one did give me some problems in the past

I may have forgotten some stuff, but so far it seems doable to remove mate pretty much completely and start using other software.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
40 Why do want to remove mate?
41 because I don't use it and I already replaced the program it came with that I used the most (its terminal) because that was giving problems every time my WM resized it. This however caused the "open terminal here" button of the file manager I use (which also came from mate) to not work properly. Thus I need a replacement for that as well or find some way to fix it.

My guess would be that finding another file manager with a similar button that ends up working is probably easier and as I have limited disk space for my programs (thank you old windows install) just removing mate isn't a bad idea.

edit: and.. removing mate-desktop will result in X.org being removed......NOT GOOD!

Last edited: