Golem-Powered Builds

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Do any of you have a strictly Thaumcraft and vanilla powered chicken farm? Looking for ideas as I always need feathers in the lab/research room.

CHRISRICH1

Jul 29, 2019
this is a awesome idea i have yet to use the golems in any of my builds i will have to remedy that. you gave me some great ideas to try.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Is it just me, or do golems get really confused walking over RP microblocks?

Do any of you have a strictly Thaumcraft and vanilla powered chicken farm? Looking for ideas as I always need feathers in the lab/research room.

There isnt any way to auto breed animals in TC/Vanilla- the best you could do have golems fill a feed station, and keep your breeding stock of chickens in a small pen next to it.
Baby chickens will spawn in the space outside, and just rig up some water streams to collect them. I'm not sure if iron golems could be set to only attack adult animals, but a long enough stream/delay to allow chickens to grow before reaching the kill room.​

Noogies

Jul 29, 2019
you could have a golem pick up eggs from the pen, and put them in a dispenser which would dispense the egg against a wall in the "Chick" pen to add additional chicks to the spawn rate.

Noogies

Jul 29, 2019
Cooking the chickens during the kill usually sacrifices the feather. A Tesla might be better for this though, because it wouldn't cook the feathers. The tesla will probably kill a wood golem if he's out retrieving an egg or something when the tesla kicks in so an array of retrievers in the floor or ceiling might be better for picking up all the drops.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry if this is old/late, but I dislike creating new threads if I can find somewhere applicable.

Unleashed 1.1.3:
Struggling with Golem-power and limiting the golem's input to specific machine slots. For example, trying to build an Ethanol production line, where I get compost from wheat. Also trying to get everything crafted without using AE.

At first I was working the problem backwards, by trying to have a golem [stone or clay] grab compost from a barrel and put it into the fermenter, without having worked out the compost crafting line. It worked, but either golem put the compost everywhere it could in the fermenter. Fixed this with a router.

Then I started working the compost production line. From main storage I export saplings, charcoal, and wheat via tesseracts. Saplings go to a router, which puts them into the fermenters. Charcoal goes directly to a generator to power a macerator. Wheat accumulates in a Barrel and gets fed into an Auto Workbench (ACT) via hopper to craft up some plantballs.

I again tried using golems to grab the plantballs and put them into a macerator. Golems were placing plantballs into battery slot on macerator. Fixed with another router, with machine/item/extract upgrades. Macerator spits dirt directly into another ACT [via extractor upgrade]. At this point, I put down a chest next to the compost-creating ACT and have a clay golem pulling a stack of wheat from the barrel to put into this chest. This works so far.

Still have the problem with golem and compost-input into fermenter. Solved this by adding another router with machine upgrade and having the golem input the compost into this router. System works, is compact [2x5x4 high, no pipes], but is this the best way to limit golem interaction for specific machine slots? Or is the alternative to use a bigger footprint and go the chest/pipe/gate/pipewire/signals route with golems only putting in/pulling from chests and gates determining the actual item movements through the system?

Seems like I'm missing something here.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Unless things have changed drastically during my hiatus, the inventory slots Golems interact with are tied to which side of the block you assign them to.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I was thinking along those lines also during my limited testing.

I couldn't find any documentation IRT marker-placement/machine slot correlation, so I operated under the assumption that golem interaction would follow pipe rules for machines.

In Unleashed [perhaps prior?], Forestry machines are supposedly smarter in the sense that they know which items are supposed to go where irregardless of block-side used to input [or am I thinking of Multifarms?]. Anyway, I tried placing the marker on the sides/in front/underneath the fermenter and the results were always input compost whereever there's room [ie, no slot discrimination] for both clay/stone golems. Same result with the macerator with marker on a side/in front/on top of the macerator. I also tried a similar experiment with the macerator, but varying which side of the machine I was clicking-on when placing the golem in the world. Same results again, and I know for certain the top side of most IC2 machines is where the item input is [bottom = battery and any side = output].

Unsure what I may be doing wrong as firefox often crashes when I watch flash videos nowadays, so anything youtube is kinda off-the-table.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Something must be different, then. Clay Golem assigned to the proper side always worked slick as shit for me. Wish I had access to my hardware, I would update and maybe find a solution.

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
I was thinking along those lines also during my limited testing.

I couldn't find any documentation IRT marker-placement/machine slot correlation, so I operated under the assumption that golem interaction would follow pipe rules for machines.

In Unleashed [perhaps prior?], Forestry machines are supposedly smarter in the sense that they know which items are supposed to go where irregardless of block-side used to input [or am I thinking of Multifarms?]. Anyway, I tried placing the marker on the sides/in front/underneath the fermenter and the results were always input compost whereever there's room [ie, no slot discrimination] for both clay/stone golems. Same result with the macerator with marker on a side/in front/on top of the macerator. I also tried a similar experiment with the macerator, but varying which side of the machine I was clicking-on when placing the golem in the world. Same results again, and I know for certain the top side of most IC2 machines is where the item input is [bottom = battery and any side = output].

Unsure what I may be doing wrong as firefox often crashes when I watch flash videos nowadays, so anything youtube is kinda off-the-table.

You don't need marker blocks on the fermenter. Set the golem to use the bottom of the fermenter for its inventory and put the marker block on the inventory the golem will pull from. This will have the golem input compost. You may have to repeat with another golem on the top for the sapplings/plantball input.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Something must be different, then.

Not necessarily. My experimentation tends to be fast and loose, so I may have done something off. I'm also very, very new to using Golems for something other than farming applications. I still have yet to actually build the Ethanol plant in my survival world [this time 'round lead is hard to find and I'm trying to not use Ender chests], so I may go back into creative and see if I can make it work without all the extra routers.

@Henry:
I'm good with the saplings going straight into a router. I wanted to use golems for the compost 'cause I plan to have the compost crafting within the Ethanol plant/refinery, and I couldn't see another way to do it without using BC/Logistics pipes. Really, really detest BC piping due to how complex it needs to be to not drop stuff into the world and have no experience with Logistics yet.

I'm going to have multiple fermenters going in the plant, but only a single compost production line. If I can get the golems to input compost in the correct slot, will one golem suffice for multiple fermenters [given that they're within the golem's area] or will I need a compost golem for each fermenter?

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
You are going to love how they updated Golems in TC4 just saying... its perty epic.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
You are going to love how they updated Golems in TC4 just saying... its perty epic.

I dunno...I seem to want to use FTB stuff in ways that are well outside the norm, but make perfect sense to me, so those updates will most likely just aggravate me.

This may be a little wordy and isn't directed at you Saice. Just running into some difficulties with my current golem farms.

Ok. Admittedly, the only other times I've used golems were for farming stuff I couldn't easily do with other mods and within a single golem's radius...but I thought I had a good grasp of how to use them. In my current world, I chose to use golems to collect me 6/9 inputs [seeds/melon slices/carrots/potatos/cocoa beans/netherwart] for a max efficiency BioReactor. I'm building the farms underneath my base, so I'm restricted slightly by space [limit of 25x25 for each level]. For aesthetics, I shrunk this down to 13-block diameter circles and spiral them down a shaft...so it works out to 5 platforms for the farms, each platform being 2-blocks lower than the one above. So I need smart straw /whatever wooden golems for each platform. Everything works fine but then, the golems sometimes just stand there, looking off into the distance while crops grow and/or items despawn around them.

Because of the 2-block vertical spacing between platforms, and the fact that they're spiraled and fenced in, there's no path from one platform to the next, but I can only assume these golems see things they want to interact with but can't get to them. But why are they ignoring work they CAN get to and how can I fix this?

Edit: I'd still like to know why they were ignoring obviously-accessible work in favor of distant items...but I 'think' I've solved my problem. Turns out either routers/item tesseracts/both, when used together? need a buffer to avoid overflow. This is what I get when trying to setup a little automation without using AE...

Dos Edit: Nope. Spaced-out golem problem is still there.

Last edited:

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
Redesigned my farm layout a little...and made it so the golems could travel between 4 of the spiraled platforms. Had to adjust my fencing so they couldn't get on top of the fence too. I guess the stress of a life spent endlessly harvesting/replanting/collecting crops proves too much for some golems, as I had quite a few jump to their deaths. Which brings me to my question...

Is it possible to prevent golems from getting stuck in the inside corner where 2 fences meet? I mostly notice this with wood golems and I think it explains the spaced-out golem problem I was experiencing earlier. I can give them a whack to get them unstuck, or use the wand to pick them up and replace them...but I was hoping for a farm I didn't have to micro-manage so often.

SmokeLuvr1971

Jul 29, 2019
I'm posting this for future readers, not necessarily Dante, because there's a problem no one mentioned when offering suggestions for Dante's question.

There isnt any way to auto breed animals in TC/Vanilla...

There is a way to auto-breed chickens in vanilla. The idea was conceived shortly after hoppers/droppers were introduced into the game. The idea is to contain some chickens and have a hopper collect the eggs. Those eggs then get fed into/shot from a dispenser, through a hopper/dropper chain. Chicks have a chance to spawn from thrown eggs. And there you have your auto chicken breeder, vanilla-style.

But there is an issue if you fire the eggs back into the same area you're collecting the eggs from. Infinite chicken spawning. And it doesn't take as long as you might think for this to happen.

I'd keep X in a pen, with the dispenser firing into a 2nd pen that would cook the contents at intervals.

And ICountFrom0 described the solution. Either collect any eggs drops [which defeats the automatic aspect] or have the eggs fire into a separate area where those chickens eventually get killed [population control is always smart to employ].

One of the reasons I'm posting this to an old thread is I lost a world due to this mechanic [left it running overnight to increase my egg-spawning pool and came back to 10K+ chickens with 0-1 FPS]. I found out after I deleted my save that you can also use a mob-filtering mod [as in CJB mob filter] to eliminate all the chickens in your world if too many spawn.

If anyone is adamant about building a vanilla chicken auto-breeder, there's videos out there to give you examples. My system [cobbled from various videos and built after my runaway population] was to surround the containment area with cactus, and flood the floor with flowing water, flowing into a single block. Hopper underneath the single-block area in the middle and an upside-down 1/2-slab above the hopper, with enough non-transparent blocks above the slab so the chickens can't get on top and so the dispenser has something to break the eggs against.

We're going against the grain by firing back into the same pen, but at the time I wanted raw chicken to trade for emeralds. That's the reason for the cactus enclosure. When the population gets big enough, chickens either swim/get pushed into the cactus and die. And the cactus keeps the population in check. The system does have flaws, as chicks don't swim too well and either drown or get pushed into the 1/2slab,mature, and suffocate. System works best with a sizable chicken population before flooding the floor.