Golem-Powered Builds

Magma Cubian

Jul 29, 2019
I am having so much fun with the new Thaumcraft 3 Golems, and built two machines that I thought everyone should see. If you want to know how to build them, reverse engineer!

Golem-Powered Farm
This farm uses straw, wooden, and stone golems. As wheat grows, it is automatically harvested and replanted with the seeds collected. Wooden Golems collect the dropped wheat and seeds and place them in a chest. Then the stone golem transports wheat only from that chest to another, from which the player takes the wheat.
2012-12-10_11.57.30.png

2012-12-10_11.57.37.png

Golem-powered furnace
This furnace consists of an Infernal Furnace with a redstone clock operating a dispenser. The stone golems take items from the chests and place them in the dispenser. They are smelted and pop out of the furnace, where a wooden golem picks them up and places them in a chest. Stone golems take food and ingots from the chest and place them in the correct endchest. Nuggets can be found in another chest around the corner.
NOTE: To start the furnace, you will need to fly up to the cobble platform and switch on the redstone clock.
2012-12-10_11.57.58.png
2012-12-10_11.58.09.png
2012-12-10_11.58.17.png

Installation:
The only mods needed are Thaumcraft 3 and the appropriate version of Forge, but I suggest using FTB Magic as it is much easier to install (it installs itself). Drag the world file attached into your Minecraft saves and you are good to go!
File: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hug43pp35lu41km
Credits:
Built by Brendyboy34 (me)
Redstone clock design by Tienisto :
Mods by Azanor and the Forge team.
FTB Magic modpack by the FTB Team.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely love the Straw Golems, never again will I have to clutter my fields with Block Breakers and tubes.

I hadn't given much thought on automating the Infernal Furnace yet, beyond placing a Hungry Chest right in front of it and a Brain in a Jar right beside that. But after seeing your build, I think I'll start having a Stone Golem run ores from an Ender Chest (linked to an Ender Pouch) into a copy of that Dispenser/Clock setup you have there. I'll never wait in front of a Furnace again.

OrionEnsisJim

Jul 29, 2019
Don't forget to put arcane bellows on the sides of your furnace, they increase nugget production and speed. Also note that if you pulverise or macerate your ores there is a zero chance for nuggets, but the overall production of ore will still be significantly higher.

OrionEnsisJim

Jul 29, 2019
You can have 3 arcane bellows per infernal furnace, one for each side.

I don't think you can as i don't think that brewing stands have buildcraft inventory sides or whatever it is called. You can have them collect everything, but similar to how golems can't research for you or craft, the actual magic is up to you.

Spasticon

Jul 29, 2019
Four straw golems for one tiny field like that seems overkill.

I have 1 brainy straw golem and an observant wood golem easily servicing 4 full fields with walkways in between (field = 9x9 with water/lilypad in center).

In other news: I love how random the straw golem is. Build a full sized field... let it grow to maturity and then let him loose. He's an ADD nutcase.

Leuthil

Jul 29, 2019
I was doing some testing, and unfortunately stone golems seem incapable of using ladders. So with my plans for a "farm tower" staffed by golems, it seems I'll have to use some pipes and redstone engines to pump all the produce to the bottom for pickup. Still, 1 straw and 1 wood golem per floor (each floor being 1 9x9 farm) seems perfectly satisfactory for actually harvesting and collecting everything.

Edit: Did some more testing. Straw Golems will readily expand carrot, potato, and wheat farms, assuming the appropriate drops (they can't replant wheat if a seed doesn't drop, but will always try to expand to adjacent farmland if multiple seeds drop).

However, Straw Golems do not seem to expand cocoa bean farms. They will harvest and replant the cocoa beans, but not expand to nearby jungle wood. Also of note is that the Straw Golems have a 1-block reach. So it seems, at most, they can harvest a block one block above their heads (and being only one block tall, this limits cocoa farms to two logs tall).

Quite obviously, they can't expand pumpkin or melon farms, since seeds don't drop. They do harvest them without trouble, however, and the stalks regrow, so this isn't a huge issue.

Randomsteve

Jul 29, 2019
I believe golems are smart enough to use stairs though, if you made a small spiral stair case going around the tower your golem tower would probably work just fine

OrionEnsisJim

Jul 29, 2019
I believe golems are smart enough to use stairs though, if you made a small spiral stair case going around the tower your golem tower would probably work just fine

whether this works or not I would STRONGLY recommend making it so there is no open space for the golems to fall. they are still quite a bit derpy and while that is endearing...they can fall and die.

logoster

Jul 29, 2019
i know that they are smart enough to use stairs as a fact, as i had a preception wood golem paried with my straw golem, but whenever i drop something a few stairs up, he suddenly apears a few seconds later, takes what i dropped, and takes it to the chest (repeats if there is more then 16 of that item

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
whether this works or not I would STRONGLY recommend making it so there is no open space for the golems to fall. they are still quite a bit derpy and while that is endearing...they can fall and die.
It seems that they'll use stairs without incident if only one is using the stairs at a time, so you can probably work it out just with proper Marker placement. At least I never see them fall off the stairs in my Crucible chamber, and there's three floors of Warded Jars in there. But any time you have a bunch of them working in a tight space they tend to shove each other off edges, and that's not limited to when they pass by on stairs. I had to install a fence around the top of my Coke Ovens because the Clay Golems feeding them keep throwing elbows and knocking each other over the side.

Now if only we could get Tallow Golems to be more versatile with fluids and containers, my Railcraft production would be free of Redstone Engines and nearly free of pipes altogether. I don't expect them to be carrying around steam in buckets or filling Iron Tanks with Essentia, but lugging my Creosote Oil or Lava out to the big tanks would be nice.

OrionEnsisJim

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that they'll use stairs without incident if only one is using the stairs at a time, so you can probably work it out just with proper Marker placement. At least I never see them fall off the stairs in my Crucible chamber, and there's three floors of Warded Jars in there. But any time you have a bunch of them working in a tight space they tend to shove each other off edges, and that's not limited to when they pass by on stairs. I had to install a fence around the top of my Coke Ovens because the Clay Golems feeding them keep throwing elbows and knocking each other over the side.

Now if only we could get Tallow Golems to be more versatile with fluids and containers, my Railcraft production would be free of Redstone Engines and nearly free of pipes altogether. I don't expect them to be carrying around steam in buckets or filling Iron Tanks with Essentia, but lugging my Creosote Oil or Lava out to the big tanks would be nice.

Funny you should mention moving fluids around. I'm getting ready to post a build that i am preparing for in my survival, but recently perfected in creative. I'm debating on whether or not posting it here or in its own thread. It will probably go here so get ready, I should have something posted in about...several hours to a day.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Can't believe I hadn't thought of this before, but I discovered today that one Perceptive Wooden Golem is better than and much more compact than a dozen Obsidian Pipes when it comes to automation overflow.

Magma Cubian

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely love the Straw Golems, never again will I have to clutter my fields with Block Breakers and tubes.

I hadn't given much thought on automating the Infernal Furnace yet, beyond placing a Hungry Chest right in front of it and a Brain in a Jar right beside that. But after seeing your build, I think I'll start having a Stone Golem run ores from an Ender Chest (linked to an Ender Pouch) into a copy of that Dispenser/Clock setup you have there. I'll never wait in front of a Furnace again.
Good for you! The whole purpose of these builds was to help people :).[DOUBLEPOST=1355893204][/DOUBLEPOST]
Don't forget to put arcane bellows on the sides of your furnace, they increase nugget production and speed. Also note that if you pulverise or macerate your ores there is a zero chance for nuggets, but the overall production of ore will still be significantly higher.
The only mod I had installed was Thaumcraft 3, I didn't use Magic Pack. BTW, isn't IndustrialCraft 2 not in magic?? Or is it just me....[DOUBLEPOST=1355893388][/DOUBLEPOST]
Four straw golems for one tiny field like that seems overkill.

I have 1 brainy straw golem and an observant wood golem easily servicing 4 full fields with walkways in between (field = 9x9 with water/lilypad in center).

In other news: I love how random the straw golem is. Build a full sized field... let it grow to maturity and then let him loose. He's an ADD nutcase.
I needed Brainy Golems to replant the seeds so that they can be fully automated. I don't think they have a large enough range to get all the crops... or maybe they were just glitching up? Yeah, those Straw Golems are super cool! And I think they are cheaper then making a Forestry farm... :)

Magma Cubian

Jul 29, 2019
That's good to know. I will probably shrink down the system a bit then... ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1355893549][/DOUBLEPOST]
I was wondering if this was possible, very awesome
Thanks bro. It's people like you who keep me going :). Merry Christmas everyone!![DOUBLEPOST=1355893688][/DOUBLEPOST]

Did not know you could put Essentia in Iron Tanks!! Is the Infusion Altar still capable of drawing aspects from them, I wonder?

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Did not know you could put Essentia in Iron Tanks!! Is the Infusion Altar still capable of drawing aspects from them, I wonder?
You misread that a bit. I was using that as part of the nonsensical/unbalanced examples that I'm not expecting, if Tallow Golems come to be more versatile liquid-luggers.

Magma Cubian

Jul 29, 2019
You misread that a bit. I was using that as part of the nonsensical/unbalanced examples that I'm not expecting, if Tallow Golems come to be more versatile liquid-luggers.
Yeah, I realised that as soon as I entered the comment and was re-reading all the articles. :)
Hey guys, any Ideas of what to do next? I am thinking of a golem-powered alchemy room...