Getting started with Feed the beast

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Well, now that Redpower is released, I would say forget the Autocrafting bench and go with the Project Table instead. It's more friendly for manual use, has a bit more functionality in automated use, and while the storage space is smaller than a chest, it does help condense the chest + Autocrafting Bench space to one block. You're right, though, the guide could use some general quality of life additions.

Reactions: Zmaster27

gusgillis1

Jul 29, 2019
hey Kariko, thanks for the guide. The breakdown of the development trees helped me a lot!

I don't know if this is within the scope of the guide, but there is a lot of low lying fruit in FtB that beginners aren't aware of. It took me a week to discover things like the Pocket Crafter, the various backpacks, and scaffolds. These are all significant "quality of life" items that don't really fit in the progression anywhere but make common tasks much easier if you know about them. I'd also like to mention the Autocrafting Table. It's a bit of a sidegrade in that it doesn't work with NEI's recipe map and you can't shift-click to process a whole stack, but the fact that things stay on the table when you leave is enormously helpful for complex, highly iterated recipes. It's prbobaly best to have a normal Workbench and an Autocrafter side by side.

FtB also offers an overwhelming variety of parallel functionality. Trying to figure out the relative merits of the Macerator vs the Pulverizer vs the Induction Furnace, all of which seem to do nearly identical things at first blush was very daunting. I had a similar reaction when trying to figure out which starter furnace I wanted.
The induction furnace doesnt double ore output... it just smelts faster and can smelt 2 things at a time...

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
The induction furnace doesnt double ore output... it just smelts faster and can smelt 2 things at a time...

You're thinking of the IC2 induction furnace. He's talking about the TE induction smelter (although he says induction furnace). The smelter takes 1 ore + 1 sand = 2 ingots.

It's something people seem to do, interchange induction smelter + induction furnace even when they're different machines.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest we could also use a guide for Redpower2, and i second the notion of general ease items, that dont particularly affect ores, but make life easier.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower 2 is kind of off in a niche of its own, and its tech tree isn't really what I'd call "getting started." The guides needed for it seem beyond the scope of this and would cover how to make and use the gates, and how to use the tubes and item management devices. Redpower 2 is designed with variable complexity depending on how far you're willing to dive into it, and covering all that complexity is... daunting.

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
Redpower 2 is kind of off in a niche of its own, and its tech tree isn't really what I'd call "getting started." The guides needed for it seem beyond the scope of this and would cover how to make and use the gates, and how to use the tubes and item management devices. Redpower 2 is designed with variable complexity depending on how far you're willing to dive into it, and covering all that complexity is... daunting.

I would have to disagree, My early game is dominated by RP2, and with the new additions it is even moreso. The sickle is normally the third or forth tool I make, and by 2 or 3 hours in it is the most frequently made tool too (because I keep breaking them from use)

I'm making the assumption here that things such as going on a mining expedition for basic mineral resources, tools, armor, and so on are already understood and don't need to be added by me to the order of operations suggested below, folks can mine when they darn well please.

Also to note building your first house out of redpower basalt is a really good idea, and redpower gems are really useful in letting you stretch your other mineral resources instead of wasting them on making more picks and such.

make a stone sickle, use the sickle to mow down grass to get your first wheat and flax.
make a hoe
plant the wheat and flax
while waiting for those to grow, quickly amass saplings and wood using a tree-farm (manual tree-farm, not forestry) aided by the sickle and an axe (duh?)
iterate the growing of flax for a while until you have enough to make a seed bag, this speeds up the planting and harvesting of all seeds by a-lot
iterate further to get forestry bags and/or redpower canvas bags (grow flax to get string to make canvas, and wool to make forestry bags etc.)
once your bags are made harvest everything, clean up your site, possibly make a spawn protection building if you plan on using Mystcraft later on and falling down a star fissure, and get ready to move
Now if you want, you can take everything you got with you, vis-a-vis the canvas and forestry bags

NOW go exploring to find a location better suited to build a base in

Once you find a suitable base location your first order of business, assuming you have already found resources to make bronze and brass (easy peasy), and you have iron and redstone is: make a deployer, find a cow, make a bucket, get infinite milk to fuel biogas engines and run your early stage buildcraft powered machines (1MJ/tick, requires lava to start, but goes forever with a single deployer, a cow, and a bucket). At this point I switch to relying on forestry and thermal expansion (prior to gregtech I would normally make a macerator first and then ignore the rest of IC2 until I worked through forestry and TE) I still rely on redpower for item logistics though, logistic pipes are good for that too, but I like redpower tubes better.

I used a similar strategy in 1.2.5, and I was always the king of resources soon after a server map restart back when I had a multiplayer server I visited regularly.

To be honest we could also use a guide for Redpower2, and i second the notion of general ease items, that dont particularly affect ores, but make life easier.

I hope this satisfys what you were looking for

Also of note, once I'm far enough in TE I generally start my factorization setup and redpower really helps in the automation there too, factorization routers in conjunction with redpower tubes are amazing!

EDIT:
I completely forgot to mention! The redpower alloy furnace allows you to put broken tools into the furnace and gives you the minerals you used to make the tool back. this is really useful early game for resource conservation, and useful later on for melting down the picks and boots of those annoying units that drop them in the twilight forest, plus the gold tools that the dryads drop.

also early game keep a Athame on you to take care of endermen, it requires on silver ingot and a stick but kills endermen much quicker until you get midgame with a IC2 chainsaw or similar.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
The Sickles, Flax, and Canvas/Seed Bags would all be lumped in with the misc. list of quality of life tips rather than a fourth tech tree. Quite a bit of Redpower is tangential quality of life and not so much a line except for the item management and blutricity stuff. It's not really a tech tree in the same sense as the others.

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
The Sickles, Flax, and Canvas/Seed Bags would all be lumped in with the misc. list of quality of life tips rather than a fourth tech tree. Quite a bit of Redpower is tangential quality of life and not so much a line except for the item management and blutricity stuff. It's not really a tech tree in the same sense as the others.

I was going to disagree with you until I started to define "tech tree". IC2, TE, Buildcraft, etc.... have ways to process raw materials such as ore and wood. RP on the other hand seems to excel in transport and organization of same. Is this an accurate, though simplified, assessment?

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
I would say its accurate. RP could make a move to Processing quite easily however, with its Blutricity system.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, more or less. With Redpower, moving through its advancements is mostly a matter of gathering the needed materials, not climbing up a tree of machines, even Brass being obtainable via the Pulverizer. I wouldn't consider Redpower a tech tree any more than I'd consider Buildcraft itself a tech tree. Yes, the items are tiered, but you don't need to go through making golden pipes before you're able to make diamond pipes. There's no "tree" there. A bunch of useful tools with different uses, but all its progression is reliant on other actual tech trees. Am I making sense? It's about "I need this to make this to make this to make this" and I don't mean crafting components (like gears or canvas, which require raw materials and a crafting bench). Buildcraft has the laser and assembly table to make the gates, but that's about it. Redpower has the Alloy Furnace and... I think the saw?

Sertas

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, more or less. With Redpower, moving through its advancements is mostly a matter of gathering the needed materials, not climbing up a tree of machines, even Brass being obtainable via the Pulverizer. I wouldn't consider Redpower a tech tree any more than I'd consider Buildcraft itself a tech tree. Yes, the items are tiered, but you don't need to go through making golden pipes before you're able to make diamond pipes. There's no "tree" there. A bunch of useful tools with different uses, but all its progression is reliant on other actual tech trees. Am I making sense? It's about "I need this to make this to make this to make this" and I don't mean crafting components (like gears or canvas, which require raw materials and a crafting bench). Buildcraft has the laser and assembly table to make the gates, but that's about it. Redpower has the Alloy Furnace and... I think the saw?

Using your logic would you consider factorizations' process of refining ore to get 300% yield a tech tree. Or, are you referring to tech trees used in RTS games?

mrwalder

Jul 29, 2019
This is very handy, as I didn't even try Tekkit before this and it was a bit of trial and error, lots of subscritptions to youtube channels and lots of googling of mods.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Using your logic would you consider factorizations' process of refining ore to get 300% yield a tech tree. Or, are you referring to tech trees used in RTS games?
I tend to trip over myself when trying to refer to Factorization. It's not so much a tech tree as it is an assembly line, and I actually tend to feel awkward when I call it a tech tree. On the other hand... it does have the Slag Furnace, which is normally the only way to obtain lead for it, then the mirrors and batteries to get power to the Furnace Heater and other machines, and the Furnace Heater is then what makes the rest of it work. And of course there's the segregate Craft Packet machines to get the diamond shards to get the Dark Iron to make the Wrath Lanterns, Router, and Barrel upgrades.
Slag Furnace -> Lead Wire and Batteries -> Powered machines and Furnace Heater -> Crystallizer
Craft Packet Stamper -> Wrath Igniter -> Dark Iron goodies

It kind of is a tech tree in that one machine leads to another, but rather than gradually climbing your way up it, it's designed in such a way that players tend to just make all of the machines at once, especially when there's other sources of lead available.

Vengent

Jul 29, 2019
while waiting for those to grow, quickly amass saplings and wood using a tree-farm (manual tree-farm, not forestry) aided by the sickle and an axe (duh?)

Sorry for the somewhat necro, and possibly dumb question, but how does a sickle help with tree farming? I thought it was only for crops/grass?

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry for the somewhat necro, and possibly dumb question, but how does a sickle help with tree farming? I thought it was only for crops/grass?

it also really helps when you happen to grow an extra large (oak) tree because you can just clear the leaves instead of having to hunt though the leaves to find that 1 log you missed. (floating glob of leaves floating glob of leaves you are so magical)

Status
Not open for further replies.