Getting started in Magic Farm 2

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
Never understood how to mine the first iron ore. I was lucky enough to find a dungeon chest with iron ingots so I could make a vanilla iron pickaxe, and so now I have a smeltery, and even a tool station.
Flint pickaxe could not mine iron
Copper pickaxe probably could, but there's no 'vanilla' copper pickaxe, and to use it in TConstruct I need a tool station -> need loads of iron
what am I missing here?

Other than that I really enjoy the challenge and tiered system so far. And love how the tools have levels so I have to actually care about repairing them etc. And I was wondering why I could not change the parts, now I know they have to be repaired. Made a whole set of iron tools for nothing :p. Maybe I can use their parts though.

Another thing, where would I report bugs about the pack? Managed to get cotton seeds in my boots/feet slot somehow :S

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
Never understood how to mine the first iron ore. I was lucky enough to find a dungeon chest with iron ingots so I could make a vanilla iron pickaxe, and so now I have a smeltery, and even a tool station.
Flint pickaxe could not mine iron
Copper pickaxe probably could, but there's no 'vanilla' copper pickaxe, and to use it in TConstruct I need a tool station -> need loads of iron
what am I missing here?

Other than that I really enjoy the challenge and tiered system so far. And love how the tools have levels so I have to actually care about repairing them etc. And I was wondering why I could not change the parts, now I know they have to be repaired. Made a whole set of iron tools for nothing :p. Maybe I can use their parts though.

Another thing, where would I report bugs about the pack? Managed to get cotton seeds in my boots/feet slot somehow :S
make a copper pick use it till you get the boost to 100% and it will gain +1 mineing level then do the same on next pick

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
make a copper pick use it till you get the boost to 100% and it will gain +1 mineing level then do the same on next pick
A copper picks should already be able to mine iron afaik.
The problem is: how do I make a copper pickaxe?

can flint pickaxe be boosted? Don't recall seeing that tooltip

Zelgar

Jul 29, 2019

That assumption is the mistake you are making. You don't need the tool station. Along with all the nerfs there are some boosts :) You can build metal tools on the original table.

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
That assumption is the mistake you are making. You don't need the tool station. Along with all the nerfs there are some boosts :) You can build metal tools on the original table.
Oh.. random.. the wiki lied to me then (because it was based on standard TConstruct I guess)

BTW: How do I turn of the e-mail spam I get from the forums every single time someone takes a breath in a thread? I still want the alert, I just don't want it to mail me every single damn time, and I can't find a setting for it anywhere.

Edit:
I think it's "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...", but even with "and receive email notifications of replies" unchecked, I still got emails. Let's see if this works

Last edited:

Bickers

Jul 29, 2019
A copper picks should already be able to mine iron afaik.
The problem is: how do I make a copper pickaxe?

can flint pickaxe be boosted? Don't recall seeing that tooltip
mine copper with a flint tool make a smeltery make stone parts and pour molten aluminum brass to make a cast to get lava for the smeltery use a clay bucket

Tankh

Jul 29, 2019
mine copper with a flint tool make a smeltery make stone parts and pour molten aluminum brass to make a cast to get lava for the smeltery use a clay bucket
Thanks for the help =)

Like I mentioned, I was lucky enough to stumble upon iron ingots in a jungle temple so I got a vanilla iron pickaxe and could get a bunch of iron that way so I've already made a set of TConstruct iron tools now :p

Next thing to try is swap all the iron parts out of those tools and in to the tools I already have used so I retain the xp. Didn't know they had to be fully repaired until I read this thread, so I made new ones instead :O

hiroshi42

Jul 29, 2019
Oh.. random.. the wiki lied to me then (because it was based on standard TConstruct I guess)

BTW: How do I turn of the e-mail spam I get from the forums every single time someone takes a breath in a thread? I still want the alert, I just don't want it to mail me every single damn time, and I can't find a setting for it anywhere.

Edit:
I think it's "Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...", but even with "and receive email notifications of replies" unchecked, I still got emails. Let's see if this works

If you look at one of the emails it should have the option in there somewhere to not receive them.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Is it possible to make tools with spare modifiers, or to add a modifier? I want to add Smelting to a tool but I can't work out how to do it. Modifiers just seem to appear and be instantly assigned something random when I get XP with them.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Is it possible to make tools with spare modifiers, or to add a modifier? I want to add Smelting to a tool but I can't work out how to do it. Modifiers just seem to appear and be instantly assigned something random when I get XP with them.

you earn modifiers by leveling up your tool. with every level your tool also earns a random modifier.
if that modifier slot you earn by leveling up your tool gets instantly taken up by that free modifier... I think that that may be a bug

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
you earn modifiers by leveling up your tool. with every level your tool also earns a random modifier.
if that modifier slot you earn by leveling up your tool gets instantly taken up by that free modifier... I think that that may be a bug
So my tools that have earned 4 modifiers should have 4 free slots for further modifications? That would be pretty pimp. I guess there's nothing I can do to fix it though. Unless anyone knows how to NBT-edit the game to give the tool the slots that it should have?

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
No you should have maybe 2 modifiers free. You get a modifier slot to use every so often, not every level

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

It doesn't. You get a random modifier plus a free slot. Every other level gives a free modifier slot. You can get 3 random modifiers and 3 free slots for a total of 6 modifiers. @IguanaMan can correct me if I am wrong.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Thats very odd. My expert level tool has 2 slots and 2 randomly assigned modifiers.... something has gone weird.

I just checked my world which I've been playing for a few versions now, and these are the stats of my 3 tools which I've been using for some timen ow

rRZYgKr.jpg

the pickaxe is almost master, the shovel is master and the hatchet is adapt

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I've got myself set up nicely, plenty of farms, some Thermal Expansion infrastructure, but I miss automatic mining. I've added ComputerCraft and MiscPeripherals, but mining turtles are badly nerfed, they can't mine redstone or obsidian or diamonds. What can I do to enable that? I've looked through the IguanaTweaks config but I can't see anything obvious.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
The random modifiers are a chance. Not a guarantee.
I've got myself set up nicely, plenty of farms, some Thermal Expansion infrastructure, but I miss automatic mining. I've added ComputerCraft and MiscPeripherals, but mining turtles are badly nerfed, they can't mine redstone or obsidian or diamonds. What can I do to enable that? I've looked through the IguanaTweaks config but I can't see anything obvious.

Ummm my guess is they are somehow listed as a specific type of pickaxe? o.0 cause MF configs only change vanilla pickaxe behavior and tools that are listed as being equal to vanilla picks.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Ummm my guess is they are somehow listed as a specific type of pickaxe? o.0 cause MF configs only change vanilla pickaxe behavior and tools that are listed as being equal to vanilla picks.
I'd imagine they are configured to be equivalent to a diamond pick, since they can normally mine obsidian but not the TiCo nether ores. Can vanilla diamond pickaxes mine diamonds and obsidian in MF?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I'd imagine they are configured to be equivalent to a diamond pick, since they can normally mine obsidian but not the TiCo nether ores. Can vanilla diamond pickaxes mine diamonds and obsidian in MF?

Nope. None of the vanilla picks can mine much of anything. Which funnily enough almost makes the turtles balanced in MF.