Getting Started guide to Magic Farm 2

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Once you get deep into Thaumcraft and get the (forgot the name) amulet that eats up environmental damage like poison, blindness, wither and you can get the osmosis enchanter, and a strong shock wand, you should be able to go about your business no problem even with infernal mobs.

Merchaun

Jul 29, 2019
This was a really helpful thread for getting started. My personal recommendation is to make an apple tree farm and just collect the apples that fall. They drop at a pretty fast rate and you'll make more than you consume with a decent amount of trees (I have 9). Once you get the materials you can make vacuum hoppers for auto collection, too. It's an efficient system for getting a lot of apple juice or other foods using apples.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
This was a really helpful thread for getting started. My personal recommendation is to make an apple tree farm and just collect the apples that fall. They drop at a pretty fast rate and you'll make more than you consume with a decent amount of trees (I have 9). Once you get the materials you can make vacuum hoppers for auto collection, too. It's an efficient system for getting a lot of apple juice or other foods using apples.
Admittedly, I haven't played MF in a month (I stopped playing when Agrarian Skies came into existence) but I don't know of any apple trees that behave like you are describing. What mod does this apple tree come from?

Merchaun

Jul 29, 2019
Admittedly, I haven't played MF in a month (I stopped playing when Agrarian Skies came into existence) but I don't know of any apple trees that behave like you are describing. What mod does this apple tree come from?
If you find an apple, and put it into a crafting slot you get an apple core from Growthcraft Apples, which is then planted like a sapling (the texture confused me at first, but it's placed like any other sapling)

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
If you find an apple, and put it into a crafting slot you get an apple core from Growthcraft Apples, which is then planted like a sapling (the texture confused me at first, but it's placed like any other sapling)
What version of MF are you using?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Hm. Wasn't aware that Growthcraft apple trees got re-enabled. I will do a rewrite later this week.

Merchaun

Jul 29, 2019
This would be how my farm looks. I've gotten ~4 stacks of apples total so far.

Attachments

• 2014-04-10_23.43.17.png
    2014-04-10_23.43.17.png
    893.2 KB · Views: 106

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
These apple trees are a bit op imho, but only because of the sheer amount they drop. I survived many days only on apple juice :). If it was possible for turning them into smoothies, I would have gotten quicker to the hamburger feast meal.

As for the snowballs, I had to travel kilometers by sea to find snow.
So I've made a snowman/golem farm, for more smoothies in the future.

On an other note, the monster jerky (and any other jerky) is disabled on eating. Making them is not a problem.

Merchaun

Jul 29, 2019
These apple trees are a bit op imho, but only because of the sheer amount they drop. I survived many days only on apple juice :). If it was possible for turning them into smoothies, I would have gotten quicker to the hamburger feast meal.

As for the snowballs, I had to travel kilometers by sea to find snow.
So I've made a snowman/golem farm, for more smoothies in the future.

On an other note, the monster jerky (and any other jerky) is disabled on eating. Making them is not a problem.

Yep. They are really OP, but it's still helpful. I've only played this for a night so far, so I haven't gotten the chance to see if auto-crafting setups are possible, but if so the apple farm+vacuum hopper+auto-crafting would be really efficient. Even without auto-crafting, just the vacuum hopper collection is efficient.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. They are really OP, but it's still helpful. I've only played this for a night so far, so I haven't gotten the chance to see if auto-crafting setups are possible, but if so the apple farm+vacuum hopper+auto-crafting would be really efficient. Even without auto-crafting, just the vacuum hopper collection is efficient.

I only had two trees, together with some barley and fruit bushes. I tend to make my mattock before I make my copper pick, food is my priority in the beginning
When I had a stack of apple juice and apples, I just couldn't be bothered to go out and collect more of them.

As for "automation", when I have enough iron. I just make a row of TiCo's crafting stations, one for each recipe. Taking the end product of the first to the next one etc.
I use my vacuum hopper for the egg collection of 2 chickens, whom I pinned down in the middle of a pond.

Merchaun

Jul 29, 2019
I only had two trees, together with some barley and fruit bushes. I tend to make my mattock before I make my copper pick, food is my priority in the beginning
When I had a stack of apple juice and apples, I just couldn't be bothered to go out and collect more of them.

As for "automation", when I have enough iron. I just make a row of TiCo's crafting stations, one for each recipe. Taking the end product of the first to the next one etc.
I use my vacuum hopper for the egg collection of 2 chickens, whom I pinned down in the middle of a pond.
When I started my world I was lucky enough to find a Thaumium Hoe underneath one of the Thaumcraft trees with a cave spider spawner. I grabbed that and ran, and so I had a farm before having to go through the tiers of items.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Getting into blood magic if you are not in hardcore is fun in MF2! Gives you some free bonemeal and a good "quarry" pretty early!

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, after a few starts, MF2 isin't THAT hard. You die a lot, yes and you need a lucky spawn with some sheep, but you usually easly enough get to cobalt tool. With BM, you can get bonemeal for (or even real bonemeal) the crops and hunger is mostly solved.

Merchaun

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, after a few starts, MF2 isin't THAT hard. You die a lot, yes and you need a lucky spawn with some sheep, but you usually easly enough get to cobalt tool. With BM, you can get bonemeal for (or even real bonemeal) the crops and hunger is mostly solved.
Ahh that makes sense.