Getting Started guide to Magic Farm 2

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
This guide is aimed to help get you quickly to Alumite level tools and Feast tier food (highest tier of Harvestcraft food) simultaneously. I assume that you have played modded MC before and are at least familiar with Tinker’s Construct and NEI as I will not show recipes, I expect you to look them up. Magic Farm is designed to be sadistically hard so even with this guide, be prepared to die. With Infernal Mobs and Deadly World, there is a whole new level of danger everywhere. I suggest that you do not use the Biomes O'Plenty world option, as it will be significantly easier with fewer biomes and you will need access to vanilla biomes for many mods. Finally I should note that this guide is for version 2.1.2, and previous versions will be easier as you will have access to Natura berry bushes.

First things first; FOOD. Hunger is central to MF (due to Hunger Overhaul) until the end of this guide, at which point it should not be a problem again. It is important to know that any empty hunger bar no longer means damage, it means death.Hunger Overhall completely revamps hunger, especially when combined with Harvestcraft. The better the food is, the more of a bonus you will get in the form of the Well Fed effect. The Well Fed effect causes a slight boost to health regen and prevents hunger consumption. You can only get the effect from Light Meal tier food or better. The length of the effect depend on the tier of the food, and is as follows:
Light meal = 40 seconds
Meal = 2 minutes
Large meal = 4 minutes
Feast = 8 minutes
The effect time stacks, so if you eat multiple, you will get the total time (ex. 2 light meals = 1 minute 20 seconds).

In most biomes (all that have plants) you should see lots of new plants on the ground. Breaking these will give you a few different kinds of food courtesy of Harvestcraft. Check out the spoiler for a picture and names.

REhc3bc.png

From left to right by row:
Stawberry, blackberry, blueberry, candleberry, grape
Cranberry, rapberry, cotton, sunflower, white mushroom
bamboo shoot, kiwi, cactus fruit, rhubarb, rutabaga
seaweed, spiceleaf

Naturally, the cotton is inedible, but you should collect it anyways to make cotton.

The berries will be fairly important as you will want to farm them as they provide good nourishment early game and will be a necessary part of making the feast tier food, Delighted Meal. I suggest you either go with blackberries or raspberries, as candleberries are fairly useless other than allowing you to make a colored torch replacement, and blueberry smoothies (which will be good later if you are near a snow biome) are not as beneficial as blackberry or raspberry smoothies. Either way, make your choice of which type to farm, and try not to eat that type to help boost farm speed later. At the very least, just keep one of that berry type. Running and jumping are ill advised, as you will need to conserve your energy, so only do them when you really need to.

As per usual, you will want wood, but you should get 32 pieces as in order to get any tools, you will need to use Tinker’s Construct and that is a good number for getting all the required things to make tools. I suggest that you also chop down a MFR rubber tree, so that you can use the rubber to make torches as you will not be able to get coal for a bit or even stone for a furnace. Standard tools have been disabled (apart from the wooden shovel , which you should get), so for your first day, you will have nothing. TiCo has been heavily modified with Iguana Tweaks for Tinker's Construct, making it required to go through each material tier to make it to the next one. The first tier you will make is flint, so if you see any gravel, grab it. You will also need it to make the smeltery so keep that in mind.

Standard early game housing rules apply, so cave or hole in a hill. I suggest you live in a forest biome, magical forest biome, or cherry blossom grove biome as these all count as forest biomes and most of the Harvestcraft seeds grow best in forest and plains biomes. As I mentioned before, I like being near the border of a snow biome as snowballs are part of the smoothie recipe, and they make excellent early game food. As you look for your house, look for sheep as you will need ten wool but the standard three is fine initially. The other seven are for a sleeping bag, which will allow you to sleep anywhere without resetting your spawn, which is a godsend.

At this point, you should have at least a temporary home, and at least 32 gravel. You will need a small amount of flint, so you can either waste time breaking the gravel until you get a 1:1 ratio (waste of energy and food) or put it into the shapeless recipe which converts 4 gravel into 1 flint. Go ahead and setup for TiCo and make your first tools all if which will have flint heads and wood handles. You cannot make a sword with flint, so your first weapon will be a flint knife. You should notice that the new tools have new tool tip information (from Iguana tweaks). In the event that you didn't read up from the link earlier a brief summary of how it works.
All TiCo tools now have experience and leveling. Each time you gain a level you will gain a free modifier space and random modifier. In order to mine the next tier of metal (starting with copper as flint can't be leveled up) you either need to mine enough to boost it, or attach a mob head of sufficient tier (skeleton and zombie for copper, creeper for iron, enderman for bronze, and wither for alumite). Until you level up a tool at least once, you cannot add any modifiers.

The tiers for hardness from lowest to highest: flint/bone < copper < iron < bronze < alumite < ardite < cobalt < manyullan. Bronze can mine everything in the overworld, so technically the only reason for progressing more is just getting better tools, which is why I call alumite tier the end of early game, allowing you to progress into TE3, and from there all the other mods.

You can repair tools by placing the tool and the material used to craft it in a crafting grid (shapeless).

Now that you can mine stone, make yourself a HC juicer. This is ABSOLUTELY the most useful item early game as you can make fruit juice which doubles the hunger saturation of the fruit. All the berries can be juiced except candleberries, and so can all the other fruits. If you are close to a snow biome, go stock up on snowballs and make smoothies instead of juice as they are much better than juice.

You want to get food from all possible avenues. If you have string or found wild cotton, make a fishing rod. Make some TiCo drying racks to turn zombie flesh into monster jerky which no longer poisons you. Squid are an excellent source of food throughout early game as they drop HC calamari and Mariculture raw squid. MC squid can be doubled in number and hunger saturation by crafting it with a wooden bowl,so if you live near water, you can survive of of squid for a long time as squid are constantly respawning.

Now that you have a semi reliable food supply, you should explore above ground a bit. You should look for more plants to break for food, 2 stacks clay, sand, and gravel for a smeltery, and lava to fuel it. if you find lava, mark it using your map mod as you will want to come back later after making clay buckets which will need to be smelted in order to be used. Next up, getting copper for your first metal tools.

Caving in Magic Farm is a whole new beast, and your first time you are practically guaranteed to die. You will find spawners of all kinds even things that you would not expect. Fire spawners, lit TNT spawners, thrown potion spawners, and all kinds of mob nasties. If you see a chest by itself, it is guaranteed to be a trap. It either has a TNT spawner or is a trapped chest that will set off TNT when opened. I suggest approaching the chest quickly then quickly running away. If it doesn't blow up it is a trapped chest so dig around it until you find the TNT, break it, then open the chest. There are silverfish clusters randomly spread out in stone, so if a stone block takes particularly long to break, it is probably a silverfish block. Until you get iron, the silverfish can be a big problem. I expect you to have at least 16 copper ore, 6 aluminum ore, and at least 1 clay bucket of lava before you go to the next section.

To make casts for metal tool parts you will need to use stone tool parts. Metal tool parts means 2 fairly important things; you can now make a sword, but more importantly you can make a mattock, which means you can start farming. Start your berry farm (either black or raspberry) and start breaking grass and look for very specific HC seeds: tomato, lettuce, and soybean. Because the goal is Delighted meal, you will need potatoes and you should get wheat although you can do without it. If you are lucky enough to have a village that you raided for potatoes, you can live off of them which is fairly easy as they yield much more than anything else in the entire pack. It is very important that you right click food to harvest, as you do not need to break crops to harvest them thanks to HO. I suggest you do not create bonemeal until you have bronze tools, as you will be able to make a TE pulverizer or at the very least an AE grindstone to double the output of each bone. From here on out, I expect you to be constantly tending to your farm and expanding each crop's farm to the standard 9 by 9. Hopefully by the time you get to making food you will have a half stack of everything except soybean, which you should have a full stack.

Back to tools, Iguana Tweaks allows you to swap out parts of tools if the tool is fully repaired, so repair your pick and just swap out the head. It is important to note that this can be done with weapons but you should not do this as the damage does not increase (this is a known bug). Now that you have a copper sword, set up a kill hole (1 block hole that allows you to peak out of your base but not allow mobs in) so that you can kill mobs to level up your sword and hopefully get a zombie head or skeleton skull so that you do not need to grind your pickaxe to be able to mine iron. Either way go get yourself a stack of iron ore once you can.

Iron armor yourself, as you probably know by now, you need it. Make a Tool Forge. I suggest that you make an iron cleaver to help get heads. To level up your new iron pickaxe, you will need a creeper head, and now that you have armor, if you are a good fighter, you can go out hunting at night. If you see a mob covered in particle effects RUN. It is an Infernal Mob from the mod of the same name, which are very deadly. They have special abilities and more health, but in exchange for their difficulty, they drop many rare things, most imporantly to you, enchanted diamond armor. I suggest trying to kill them from your kill hole, but do be careful as some of them can teleport (if they have the Ninja or Ender title).

This is optional, but I suggest you go make an XU drum which requires 17 iron but is very worth it. It is a portable tank that store 256 buckets of a liquid in a single block in exchange for not being able to see the amount of liquid inside the tank, but this is why you use WAILA. Anyhow, go take the drum to your lava source, and fill it up with lava. This will be handy not only for the smeltery but also later when you want to make obsidian. You could even use it to power magmatic dynamos.

Got get yourself some tin and start the bronze age.If you want to boost the bronze pick without grinding, you will need an Enderman head, which are by far the hardest head to get, so good luck. Once it is leveled up, you can officially mine everything in the overworld including obsidian. Which means as soon as it is leveled up, get yourself some obsidian and make yourself some Alumite. Now you can get started with Thermal Expansion, and from there, spread out to other mods, but before you do, I have one last thing to help you with: permanently ending your food problem. If you don't have snowballs, go and get at least a stack.

Get yourself some redstone and make yourself a HC presser. If you have looked at the recipes with NEI you might have noticed that there is no apparent way to make either of the kinds of tofu. You make soy milk and silken tofu by placing the soybeans in the presser and both come out. To make firm tofu, which is the universal meat substitute (you can use it in place of any kind of meat in all HC recipes), just place the silken tofu in the presser. Bread is the next step in the process and there are 3 different ways of making it, including the traditional way of 3 wheat, but as I said before, you don't need a wheat farm. If you do have one you can go the Agriculture mod route, which I don't like as it cannot be automated and you can over cook things. I won't go into it, as it takes longer I prefer the Harvestcraft route as you can substitute the wheat for potatoes and a lot of other things, but for this guides sake, potatoes are easiest. Anyhow, make a mortar and pestle (single item) and put it in a crafting grid with either wheat or potatoes to make flour. Next up make dough, which requires salt, a water bucket, flour and a mixing bowl. The salt can be mined up (chances are you have seen it in caves and the Agriculture type in rivers) but you can also make it using a water bucket and a pot. Anyhow cook up the dough in furnace to make bread, then cook it up again to make toast. Make a skillet, then put it in the crafting grid with the toast and firm tofu to make a hamburger. Now using the soy milk from earlier, some salt and the pot again, make cheese. put the hamburger and the cheese in the crafting grid to make a cheeseburger. Put the cheeseburger, lettuce, and tomato in the crafting grid to make a deluxe cheeseburger. Get your berries, your juicer and those snowballs and craft them together to make a smoothie. Make yourself bakeware, then put it in the grid with a potato and salt to make fries. Finally, put the smoothie, the fries and the smoothie in the grid and make yourself the Delighted Meal, one of the best foods in the game, and one of the 3 craftable feast tier foods.

And there you go. You are now at a point where you are free to explore and do as you want. And probably die a lot. Good luck!

Last edited:

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
godsend. I am on the same wavelength of progression, but already I've found myself ignorant on the sleeping bag and the mob head tiers. Carry on.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
godsend. I am on the same wavelength of progression, but already I've found myself ignorant on the sleeping bag and the mob head tiers. Carry on.
Thank you.

Anyhow updated. Still a decent amount to go.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Looking good so far. You may want to spell out the info for the Harvestcraft juicer. (i.e.: It is crafted with a stone block above a stone pressure plate in the crafting grid.) For many, this is likely the first time they have used Pam's Harvestcraft. I didn't know anything about harvestcraft when I started magic farm.

Here are a few things I've found that may not obvious when starting Magic Farm:

You can make a wooden TiCo shovel to start out if you so desire. It is the only wooden tool you can make. This is to make gathering gravel easier.

If using the hardermf configs, flint does not drop from gravel. You must use the 4 gravel -> 1 flint crafting recipe. Also, there are no automatic modifiers when leveling your TiCo tools. Only modifier slots that open up, which means most modifiers will be unavailable to you until bronze level unless you get lucky with dungeon/chest loot.

When foraging for food; plains, forests, meadows, and deserts are all really good biomes to find food. Jungle and sacred springs are some of the worst due to the tree undergrowth. The undergrowth does not leave much area in these biomes for wild plants to spawn. If you have a hard time finding food, make a vanilla fishing rod with some sticks and string (use cotton). You can fish just about anywhere that has water. You will want to cook your fish though to make it worth while.

With hunger overhaul, you do not start taking damage when you hunger bar empties, you die. You also get a huge slowness and fatigue debuff when you reach 2 hunger, so you will want to keep your hunger bar well above that.

(Iron age) Another really good starting crop that I use are rutabagas and/or potatoes. (If you raid a graveyard, you can also use bones.) A pot; a mixing bowl; and potatoes, rutabagas, or bones, will yield stock. This only fills 1 hunger, but each potato, rutabaga or bone will give you 3 stock, so it is a fairly decent exchange. I've used this recipe even when I had a lot of others available to me as it was so easy to make, and can be made from several different recipes allowing it to stack easily in my inventory. Before I get iron, I will often go through all my other foraged food first before I use rutabagas or potatoes to try and save them for making stock.

If you add a mob head to your pick before you naturally boost your pickaxe through use, you keep all the boosted XP you have earned when you upgrade the pickaxe head. If you level it solely through use, the boost XP starts over, which can take a *really* long time at bronze level. (This may be a bug or tweaked at some point.)

Keep up the good work. It's looking to be a good guide.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
once you can plant, plant every seed you can. that being said as food recipes are overwhelming in this pack, find only one or 2 "meal" or "meal nourishment" recipes that you can mass produce and just focus on that. if you stay with harvestcraft, you don't need fuel to cook. just mats.
My second teir food is turning out to be Fish sandwich. I can round up chickens and wait for the eggs and make mayo from HC's juicer, I was able to get wheat seeds and got about a stack now of wheat and I'm fishing alot. gives 4 full hearts of hunger and 2 minutes sat per sandwich. does bronze pick redstone? wondering if I'm going to have to go early into TC to get me a thaum pick just to get to redstone so I can get moving on TE.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
does bronze pick redstone? wondering if I'm going to have to go early into TC to get me a thaum pick just to get to redstone so I can get moving on TE.

The bronze pick has to be boosted before you can mine redstone. Bronze (or boosted iron) will mine tin and gold. However, starting at iron (since you can make armor and decent weapons at that point), if you can gather enough gunpowder to make some TNT, you can "mine" gold, tin and redstone to make an igneous extruder. You only need 1 gold, 2 tin, and 2 redstone, plus iron to make an igneous extruder. using the igneous extruder and some buckets of lava/water, you can make obsidian blocks, which then gets you to alumite.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
tnt. didn't think of that. all I need is 1 redstone and everything else falls into place. was actually able to find 3 gold berry bushes, I'm good on everything but the redstone.

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
Some useful tips about food once you get a bit of iron to complete the HC kitchen set:

Sugar can be used with most fruits to make jelly, which is slightly better than juice. Sugar can also be made from honey, if you decide to start bee keeping early.

Peanuts, combined with bread and jelly, can be made into pb&j sandwiches. They are about equal to vanilla steak.

Stock, which can be made from vegetables, can be combined with any vegetables to make garden soup. This allows for a simple 1 crop (or random veg assortment) food supply until you get more established.

Soybeans can be made into two kinds of tofu, which can replace meat and dairy ingredients in HC recipes. At least, that should work, but I am not seeing the tofu recipes in NEI. Maybe they were disabled for some reason.

General TiC tips:

Deadly World adds underground sand veins, nice for getting your first smeltery set up without ruining a beach.

Seared Tanks/Windows/Glass all hold 4 buckets and retain their contents when broken with a pick, helpful for early game lava transport.

Once you get your smeltery running, seared stone can be made by melting cobblestone at an 18:1 ratio, which can be chiseled into whatever design you like. Seared brick (item) can be made using an ingot cast, but it takes up a block's worth of molten seared stone.

Last edited:

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, about 80% done, all that is left is the feast tier food and the images. Quick question before I finish it: Should I have the food be the Delighted Meal or should I have one of other 2 feast tier foods be the goal?

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
The delighted meal is the goal. That being said, many people won't be able to see that food for a while in. So as long as the tutorial creates the same feel as any slightly less of a food, like meal... than its all good.

Key point I'm finding out... even though your armor will get beat to hell, as long as you are under the well fed buff, you can actually take on a infernal mob as the well fed buff cancels out any fire, poison, slow, etc. bad buf they throw at you. What does this mean? Have a major food on you and then smaller spot check recipie food on you. Eat when you find yourself in a situation with one of these infernal mobs. If it has what seems infinite hp, you soon realize, that you just may want to get out of there anyway. Because when that well fed buff is gone, you're fuked.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
The delighted meal is the goal. That being said, many people won't be able to see that food for a while in. So as long as the tutorial creates the same feel as any slightly less of a food, like meal... than its all good.

You didn't read the guide, did you? At the point that I left off, you should have all the necessary ingredients for the Delighted Meal. I just haven't explained how to make it. I have no clue what "creates the same feel as any slightly less of a food" is supposed to mean.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
You didn't read the guide, did you? At the point that I left off, you should have all the necessary ingredients for the Delighted Meal. I just haven't explained how to make it. I have no clue what "creates the same feel as any slightly less of a food" is supposed to mean.
Lol. Your last updated op says nothing of the sort. Next time you ask a question I'll just not answer. My point was just that maybe the focus should be that one should look at what they have and try to mass produce the highest teir food they can achieve. Might be cool to note what the different teirs provide as far as hunger bar and well fed duration.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Lol. Your last updated op says nothing of the sort. Next time you ask a question I'll just not answer. My point was just that maybe the focus should be that one should look at what they have and try to mass produce the highest teir food they can achieve. Might be cool to note what the different teirs provide as far as hunger bar and well fed duration.

Sorry, didn't mean to offend, but I actually did say to get all the seeds prepped, but it was much earlier, so you must have missed it.

Start your berry farm (either black or raspberry) and start breaking grass and look for very specific HC seeds: tomato, lettuce, and soybean. Because the goal is Delighted meal, you will need potatoes and you should get wheat although you can do without it.

I'll put the tiers and well fed times in later. As for trying for high tier with random seeds, I can't really write anything for that as it is completely out of my control.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Been looking for soy bean seeds without much luck. But when I do get them, nei nor the guides are telling me how I get from soy bean to tofu for the protein. Is it cooked or what?

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Been looking for soy bean seeds without much luck. But when I do get them, nei nor the guides are telling me how I get from soy bean to tofu for the protein. Is it cooked or what?

You need to put them in a presser to get the tofu. The silky tofu gets put in a second time to get the firm tofu.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Anotyer thing. It may be just me but I can't find something called a presser. I have some thing called a a juicer that I've been using for "pressing" recipies... is that the same thing?

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Anotyer thing. It may be just me but I can't find something called a presser. I have some thing called a a juicer that I've been using for "pressing" recipies... is that the same thing?
Off the top of my head the presser recipe is

iron | piston | iron
iron | x | iron
iron | piston | iron

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Finally reached my intended goal, and yet still not done. I will put images in later (probably tomorrow) and I will eventually end up rewriting most of it so it reads better and doesn't feel like reading a massive wall of text. Anyhow, enjoy!

RestrictedDruid

Jul 29, 2019
This was seriously helpful. It's funny, when I first started on Magic Farm and eventually MF2 this was always my food goal from the start. I never thought to use tofu and soy milk from soy as a meat and milk substitute. It completely eliminates the need for animal farms! Fantastic tip.

Also the Cyclic Assembler is the greatest tool in the world to use when making these meals. Makes making stacks of Delighted Meals a breeze!

Reactions: DrowElf

James_Grimm

Jul 29, 2019
Somehow I missed the Pot+Water=Salt trick earlier, and was worried where I would get salt for dough, cheese, and butter. The other parts also helped me and my friends progress in MF2 nicely, we now live in a 6 chunk size castle, on a magic forest island we conquered, and are really enjoying it partly thanks to your tips that let us get into metal tools relatively quickly.

Reactions: DrowElf