Getting oil out of oil cells

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
My HP boiler power runs on fuel currently, so I'm continually looking for ways to make more of that resource. I was clicking through the Industrial Centrifuge recipes and found that you can centrifuge 2 oil sands into 1 oil cell - cool!

So I did it, then stuck the cells into a liquid transposer and ... nothing. The transposer doesn't do anything with them. Huh. Seems to be a bug.

The question is: What's the best way to get the oil out of these cells? I don't like it, but I'm willing to destroy the tin to make it happen. I know I can burn the cells directly in a semifluid generator, but that's just ... inferior.

The only solution I've been able to come up with so far is manually placing the cells in Railcraft tanks, then piping the oil out. Item tubes and pipes don't connect. I couldn't get a router to see the tank as a machine, or eject in its direction.

Is there another device out there (besides Buildcraft tanks - that's even worse) that would pull oil out of these cells without me having to manually do it? Or a trick to piping cells into RC tanks?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Tell your server owner to update GregTech manually. (Hey, it's worth a try.)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Oil and fuel cells are special, as Greg implemented them incorrectly at first. He fixed them pretty soon, unfortunately FTB updated before that.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Tell your server owner to update GregTech manually. (Hey, it's worth a try.)
Ha, he'd probably tell me to do it myself (I'm an admin). But as much as I'd like to, I think we're going to stick to the major FTB releases to make any changes to our server. Too much headache to communicate the changes to the other players.

It sounds like I'm stuck with my crappy method ... at least I know it's not permanent. :)

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Ha, he'd probably tell me to do it myself (I'm an admin). But as much as I'd like to, I think we're going to stick to the major FTB releases to make any changes to our server. Too much headache to communicate the changes to the other players.

I can't even describe how mad I am because of the fact that this is even a problem.

"Hey, let's make a launcher that will make it really simple for people to download mods and play on a server... Oh hey, and let also give the server owner absolutely no control over what mods they can use, or when they update them, without having to go around the launcher! That's a good idea right?"

FTB is this |---| close to being the best thing to modding since... uhm let's say Forge. If only the devs added this one feature.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I can't even describe how mad I am because of the fact that this is even a problem.

"Hey, let's make a launcher that will make it really simple for people to download mods and play on a server... Oh hey, and let also give the server owner absolutely no control over what mods they can use, or when they update them, without having to go around the launcher! That's a good idea right?"

FTB is this |---| close to being the best thing to modding since... uhm let's say Forge. If only the devs added this one feature.
Yep. And of course there are private packs, but those are crippled by the requirement to get permissions from mod makers who don't respond to permissions requests. I could go on a rant about it, but I'll just leave it at: It could be much better, and I wish it was.

Heck, Mojang could go a long way to solving this problem by just introducing a way to show a longer message to players before they log in. All we'd need would be a way to give them a quick description of a change and a URL so they could see what they'd have to do.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. And of course there are private packs, but those are crippled by the requirement to get permissions from mod makers who don't respond to permissions requests. I could go on a rant about it, but I'll just leave it at: It could be much better, and I wish it was.

You legally need that permission in order to have redistribution rights, but it is silly to require new permissions for mods already being distributed by FTB. In such a case the "pack" is just a config change.

Mostly they need to modularize downloads and *stop bloody overwriting entire directories*. I shouldn't need to turn off voxel, reinstall light level overlay and turn off marsh biomes in extrabiomes config - a config file that hasnt changed since v1 - every update. Those changes should carry over.

Could learn a lot from linux distribs actually, Debian and its descendants keep md5sums of the default config every update, and if that hash hasn't updated it means the file wasn't edited so go ahead and replace it with the new one, but if it has you need to alert the user and _ask_

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, because we have permission to redistribute GregTech 2.77d, but not 2.77f!

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find anything about the Industrial Centrifuge from GregTech working with the Oil Sands from Traincraft. Are you sure it's supposed to work that way?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I can't find anything about the Industrial Centrifuge from GregTech working with the Oil Sands from Traincraft. Are you sure it's supposed to work that way?
Yep, it works. It's one of the very last recipes (96 or 97 IIRC) you find if you click the Recipes area in the centrifuge UI. Not to mention I've already used many of these oil cans in-game. ;)

Westingham

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, it works. It's one of the very last recipes (96 or 97 IIRC) you find if you click the Recipes area in the centrifuge UI. Not to mention I've already used many of these oil cans in-game. ;)

FINALLY a use for all that Oil Sand I've got. Does it also work using Crude Oil?

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, at least not yet. You can process Crude Oil into BC Oil through the Petrogen mod though. This method also produces oil buckets instead of cells, so you avoid the above issue as well.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, Petrogen's author was around when we were discussing about the crude oil and oil sand being mostly useless, and in too big quantities, so we worked out the idea on what to do with it, and producing BC oil seemed like a good plan, giving oil-based factories a boost in usefulness in the process.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
That's huge. I saw the bituminous sludge recipe, but never followed it down the line to oil. I'll keep using the centrifuge on oil sands (I get 5X more oil), but I'm going to set up an assembly line for the crude oil tonight.