Getting Magma Cream

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedSpah

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all, I've been playing FTB for some time, and I finally get to Iron-to-Steel era, but to make steel, I need blast furnace, which requires Magma Cream, which drops from Magma Cubes, which almost don't spawn at all in my world.
Does somebody know a way to get Magma Cream without searching entire Nether or making giant slime traps?

SpaceGuyR

Jul 29, 2019
Well, standard slimeballs (not Magma Cube) + blaze powder makes magma cream too, if you can find a non-Nether slime chunk and a Nether Fortress. (or TC3's Cinderpearls if you're in the Magic Pack)

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
You need to find a Nether Fortress and hunt Blazes (you can try to find a spawner, but they also spawn naturally). A Nether Fortress will also allow you to get the Nether Brick you need. To find a Fortress the Portal gun and/or Jetpack(s) can be great help in navigating the Nether (you can set a waypoint with the minimap to make sure you don't get lost). Hazmat suits are also great for dealing with all the environmental damage in the Nether, though if you don't agro the Pigmen I personally don't think you need it if you're careful.

For slime balls, go to a Swamp biome and hang around for a while, you should be able to find slimes all over the place there.

Then grind the Blaze Rods in a macerator and combine the Blaze Powder with the slime balls in a crafting table.
That's how I did it at least.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I live in a swamp biome, and slime are a thorn! They hang around with their terrible noise...
Easy way to find them is wait for the night to come. You'll see a ton of them.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Be wary that only vanilla swamp biomes will spawn slimes. EBXL swamps (green swampland, etc) don't have the slime spawns. They may eventually, but from what I know, they're hard coded to spawn in normal swamps only.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
You can also setup a small facrotization setup with a crystalliser. All you need in the crystalliser is milk in the bottom slot (doesn't get used up) and lime dye in the rest. You get 2 slime per lime dye per slot, so, with all slots filled that's 10 slime balls per action. The downside is, it takes 20 mins to complete. Any slime balls you don't use can be smelted into sticky resin as well.

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, but you will anyway need a huge amount of steel for rails in the future, so the problem will just be postposed and not solved. Unless you want to live with the wooden rails...

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Just started using the blast furnace to make some steel plates for a feeder and I gotta say it's probably the most retarded addition to the pack. Gregtech changing the recipes to steel seems even more foolish now. The thing takes forever to cook and uses huge amounts of fuel. If greg's plan was to make everything a pain in the ass he succeeded. It seems stupid to use such a contraption when we've got all of these efficient fast moving machines at our disposal. Everything will be held up by steel production.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
Just started using the blast furnace to make some steel plates for a feeder and I gotta say it's probably the most retarded addition to the pack. Gregtech changing the recipes to steel seems even more foolish now. The thing takes forever to cook and uses huge amounts of fuel. If greg's plan was to make everything a pain in the ass he succeeded. It seems stupid to use such a contraption when we've got all of these efficient fast moving machines at our disposal. Everything will be held up by steel production.

Just build another Blast-Furnace?

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks to TC3's cinderpearls (and making a flat single biome desert world with Mystcraft) I have all the blaze powder I could ever want :D And I made all the netherbrick in TE's induction furnace, so I haven't actually seen a Blaze, Magma Cube, or Nether Fortress yet in this world. Though I made myself a Feed Station several days before finally deciding it was to make a blast furnace, since I found a block of steel in a dungeon chest :D

Reactions: Maks

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019

The fuel requirement is not horrible if you use coal coke (unless that was changed by That Awful Mod Which Shall Not Be Named). It's still slow, but I have such little use for coal that I don't mind turning it into coal coke.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Hi all, I've been playing FTB for some time, and I finally get to Iron-to-Steel era, but to make steel, I need blast furnace, which requires Magma Cream, which drops from Magma Cubes, which almost don't spawn at all in my world.
Does somebody know a way to get Magma Cream without searching entire Nether or making giant slime traps?

The difficulty with trying to farm magma cream is that even if you do find a magma cube, the drop rate isn't that great.

I really is just a whole lot easier to farm slime balls and find a cozy blaze spawner in a nether fortress. Macerate the blaze rod for 5 blaze dust and combine it with slime balls for easy magma cream. I've got half a gold chest full of slime balls courtesy of the cubezoid little jerkfaces that flock to my bedrock mining facilities.

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
I gave up trying to make rails. U still need to make booster, holding, boarding, etc. But i rather use mystcraft and make a world with mines. there is a ton of rails there for the picking.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
And gave up trying to make rails. U still need to make booster, holding, boarding, etc. i rather use mystcraft and make a world with mines. there is a ton of rails there for the picking.

I got most of my normal rails from abandoned mineshafts as well, but they're not really very difficult or expensive to make. I find the worst part to be the wooden railbeds because it's such a tedious recipe (courtesy of non-stacking creasote oil buckets). I would say, however, that if a person is making their own rails to make only as many as you need for now, because the desire to upgrade may be strong later and then you'll be looking at stacks and stacks of rails and the creosote oil flashbacks may be too much to handle.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Wait...so does iron not work as rails anymore or something? 6 iron to make rails add some ties and bamn 16 rails.. if you use steel you get 32... but you don't need steel

Magicferret

Jul 29, 2019
I got most of my normal rails from abandoned mineshafts as well, but they're not really very difficult or expensive to make. I find the worst part to be the wooden railbeds because it's such a tedious recipe (courtesy of non-stacking creasote oil buckets). I would say, however, that if a person is making their own rails to make only as many as you need for now, because the desire to upgrade may be strong later and then you'll be looking at stacks and stacks of rails and the creosote oil flashbacks may be too much to handle.

You can actually make rail ties in a carpenter now and cut out the buckets/cans/bottles etc altogether, for a bit of Buildcraft power. It costs less creosote too. :)

Scghost

Jul 29, 2019
It is as you say, tedious. so for work that need rails these do fine. hs rails is the only thing that u might want to upgrade to but thats for traveling. i think most people use portals to travel now.