Geothermal Generator + The Nether

Status
Not open for further replies.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
The setup I'm using at the moment is...

In hell: BC pump connected to a pipe (BC waterproof gold pipe, at first, now liquiduct), which is connected on one end to a liquid transposer, and on the other to a magmatic engine which feeds power to both the transposer and pump. A pair of ender chests there, one for lava cans on the side of the transposer, and one connected via wood BC pipe + autarchic gate to a hopper which feeds empty cans into the transposer. (Redstone engine works just as well as the gate, gate just looks cleaner.)

On Earth: Transpsoser set to extract lava from cans. Input side has the same chest->pipe->hopper setup as in hell, keyed to the ender chest that holds the filled lava cans. On the item output side, put down the other ender chest, which will take the emptied cans back to hell to be refilled. Place waterproof pipes or liquiducts on the liquid output end, and feed your engines, generators, extruders, and all else that can run on lava.

Though, I think I could improve it to using just a single pair of ender chests, utilizing Red Power filters, keyed to remove, on the hell end, empty cans, and on the Earth end, filled lava cans. You'd need a pair of timers, but those are far, far cheaper than another pair of ender chests...I'll have to experiment with that.

[ETA]

Also, do note that both sides will need a jump-start from another BC engine, I'd suggest bringing a Stirling engine, lever, and something easy to get, like saplings or sticks. They don't need much to get started, just enough to get the fluids flowing.

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree, a liquid transposer would be easier. Then you can place the magmatic engine and transposer adjacent to the pump and the liquid transfer is instant.
You also then have to provide a system to empty the cans that were used up to transport them back to the nether, or constantly watch the transposer so that it doesn't overflow with tin cans and stop, so it can be more efficient in it's use of tin, but adding complexity to deal with the non-liquid byproducts. The ideal liquid transposer setup would transport the cans back and forth between the nether and overworld which would make up for some of the simplicity of the liquid transposer liquid setup.

However this is all a moot point as TE now has tesseracts (oooooh) which are able to transport liquids directly between dimensions. So to the op: don't bother with any of the stuff anyone talks about above, just make some thermal expansion liquid tesseracts and transport that lava directly. Soooo much easier! (also note only in TE version 2.2 and above) you don't even need pipes as they will input and output liquids directly to and from machines from their sides without any intervening pipes.

I think he means the lava itself, not it traveling through pipes.
Yes, if playing on a server you want to minimize the number of people draining the nether because it results in a considerable number of flowing liquid block entities in the world at large which take more calculations than the lava they replace (IE: they can lead to lag). netherack doesn't have any flowing block entities after you remove it (until you drill below lava). Also this is less of a consideration for individual players and people with good/fast servers.

The largest size railcraft iron tank is 7x7x8 (unless they made it 9x9, don't know), that stores 6272 buckets of lava, I filled up the largest size railcraft iron tank with lava in a few hours, I'm going to power my whole base with lava, muhahahahah!

If you are playing the direwolf20 pack or the minecrack pack the max size for iron tanks is 9x9x8 so a good deal more storage for less iron per stored liquid.

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
I thought the max tank size was 7x7x8...
The default max size is 7x7x8, yes. There is a config option, however, in both the mindcrack and Direwolf20 packs that allows tanks up to 9x9x8. I'm not sure about the other packs. I would guess that if the tanks are something that could produce lag it is set to 7x7x8 on servers and in the FTBlite pack.

kolikooo1

Jul 29, 2019
The default max size is 7x7x8, yes. There is a config option, however, in both the mindcrack and Direwolf20 packs that allows tanks up to 9x9x8. I'm not sure about the other packs. I would guess that if the tanks are something that could produce lag it is set to 7x7x8 on servers and in the FTBlite pack.
in the configs you can change it in any pack not only dire

nsmyrnos

Jul 29, 2019
Can you directly pump lava into ic2 geogens in FTB? If so, with what?(pipes, tubes, both, etc)

Disrupter52

Jul 29, 2019
Listen to RavynousHunter, he has the right idea. If you dont have the crazy nonsense tesseracts, set this up.

Hell: Set up a pump to a series of tanks that feeds a liquid transposer. Tell the transposer to fill buckets with lava. Then the transposer spits out full buckets. Send the buckets to an ender chest. When they come back, have a filter with a timer look for empty buckets. Itll that them and give them back to the transposer for refilling.

Overworld: set up a large storage tank and connect it to a liquid transposer. Tell the transposer to empty the lava buckets into said large tank. Then the transposer will spit the buckets back into the ender chest. When fresh lava buckets arrive, have a filter and a timer look for full lava buckets to send to the transposer.

BAM! Infinite lava. The only issue i have is running the transposers. Magmatic engines seem to work best aside from overheating.

jacefair

Jul 29, 2019
Hey... Hey...

BC Pump -> Ender Tank -> Overworld -> Geogens.

I dunno why y'all are making this so complicated.

draeath

Jul 29, 2019
Alternatively skip the timer/filter nonsense and just use a pair of ender chests with different color codes.

EDIT: Why? Because Rube Goldberg machines are fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.