Geothermal Generator + The Nether

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
And if you have Gregtech active capsules get expensive fairly quick (although using a powered liquid transposer in place of a bottler on both ends would help relieve that, but then it wouldn't be as simple)

I found out that forestry cans are a better choice to use when you have gregtech enabled. they give the same ratio as vanilla IC cells, and the geothermal can take them, and you can fill them by rightclicking them on BC tanks.

I also decided to no longer use the randomness of mystcraft for getting symbols for ages, I'll spawn in a notebook through creative mode when I have 9 sugarcane, and I set certain goals before I can make ages with certain symbols.
for example I can only make a dense ore age when I have made a quarry, I can only make a crystal age when I collected glowstone from the nether, I can only make an accelerated age when I have all vanilla plants (wheat, sugarcane, pumpkins, melons, potatoes, carrots, cocoa beans and nether wart) and I will only make bee ages when I legitly made an apiary (and not stole one from a villager ;) ) I did this because I was getting sick of spending hours each time collecting all the symbols that I wanted.

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
I found out that forestry cans are a better choice to use when you have gregtech enabled. they give the same ratio as vanilla IC cells, and the geothermal can take them, and you can fill them by rightclicking them on BC tanks.

I also decided to no longer use the randomness of mystcraft for getting symbols for ages, I'll spawn in a notebook through creative mode when I have 9 sugarcane, and I set certain goals before I can make ages with certain symbols.
for example I can only make a dense ore age when I have made a quarry, I can only make a crystal age when I collected glowstone from the nether, I can only make an accelerated age when I have all vanilla plants (wheat, sugarcane, pumpkins, melons, potatoes, carrots, cocoa beans and nether wart) and I will only make bee ages when I legitly made an apiary (and not stole one from a villager ;) ) I did this because I was getting sick of spending hours each time collecting all the symbols that I wanted.

BEE AGE? When were bee ages added? I've gotta get me one of those!

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019

with bee ages I mean for example an age to gather beehives, or a few ages with checkerboard biomes so I can keep the apiaries close together.
I try to keep the overworld as much untouched as possible, except around my base.

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019
I finished my geothermal setup.. almost
I don't understand how boarding tracks work with tank carts though.
If I do not apply a redstone signal to the track, the cart will patiently wait under the loader and fill up with lava but once finished it will not leave that spot.
If I do apply a redstone signal, the cart will completely ignore the loader, and go in full loop taking only a little bit every rotation.
How do I make the cart stay and fill up, and when finished leave the track to the unloader?
1 more thing, can i pump lava directly out of the unloader into a geothermal generator?

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like most of you aren't thinking Thermally just yet. ;)

Thermal Expansion provides two ways to do this - either quarry the Nether, then convert the Netherrack into lava with the Magma Crucible, or use a Pump + Liquid Transposer (or two).

The Transposer works just like a Forestry Bottler, except you can put an additional one on the other side of the Ender Chest in reverse mode, and get your cans/cells back. Both the Transposer and Crucible can auto-eject lava into adjacent tanks/pipes/whatever.

Reactions: Zelfana and Vauthil

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019

Thermal Expansion provides two ways to do this - either quarry the Nether, then convert the Netherrack into lava with the Magma Crucible, or use a Pump + Liquid Transposer (or two).

The Transposer works just like a Forestry Bottler, except you can put an additional one on the other side of the Ender Chest in reverse mode, and get your cans/cells back. Both the Transposer and Crucible can auto-eject lava into adjacent tanks/pipes/whatever.

I already finished my complete setup hahahaa, I might switch over later to thermal.. or something better
I also figured out my problem
Just 1 last thing,
I can't find dimensional anchors in the recipe of NEI, do world anchors act the same?
I want both the nether and the surface to load at the same time..

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
I finished my geothermal setup.. almost
I don't understand how boarding tracks work with tank carts though.
If I do not apply a redstone signal to the track, the cart will patiently wait under the loader and fill up with lava but once finished it will not leave that spot.
If I do apply a redstone signal, the cart will completely ignore the loader, and go in full loop taking only a little bit every rotation.
How do I make the cart stay and fill up, and when finished leave the track to the unloader?
1 more thing, can i pump lava directly out of the unloader into a geothermal generator?
Use a holding track instead of a boarding track. And yes, you can pump directly into the generator.

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
Use a holding track instead of a boarding track. And yes, you can pump directly into the generator.

Well you can use either depending on how it is set up, you can point the boarding track to make the cart continue in the same direction of travel as it was going. The boarding track can be used as a holding track if needed or as a return track, either or.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019

Tiny Biomes: Plains, Swamps, forest, Jungle, Desert, Tagia.
I like Eternal Day but I also have a chest filling up with nocturnal princesses.

This allows you to have all of your apiaries for every single type of bee basically right next to each other.

and like Yusunoha said, Make single flat biomes for collecting mundane bees.

Reenigne

Jul 29, 2019
Tiny Biomes: Plains, Swamps, forest, Jungle, Desert, Tagia.
I like Eternal Day but I also have a chest filling up with nocturnal princesses.

This allows you to have all of your apiaries for every single type of bee basically right next to each other.

and like Yusunoha said, Make single flat biomes for collecting mundane bees.

Right but there is no BEE age, as in a world made of beehives, or anything like that. Or one inhabited entirely by beekeepers, every village every house in the village, beekeepers. Not a bee optimized age, I've made those before, but a true BEE age. If anyone finds one of those, please share.

jkerr

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! I'm trying the nether pump/overworld tank idea with railcraft and it's ALMOST working, but if I sit in the overworld and watch,the cart goes into the mystcraft portal then immediately re-appears and comes back to the unloader which shoots it back into the portal... there's a world anchor in the nether, but will that do it or do I need something else?

540howdy

Jul 29, 2019
Hi! I'm trying the nether pump/overworld tank idea with railcraft and it's ALMOST working, but if I sit in the overworld and watch,the cart goes into the mystcraft portal then immediately re-appears and comes back to the unloader which shoots it back into the portal... there's a world anchor in the nether, but will that do it or do I need something else?

You have to right click the loader.. and click wait until full so the cart stays until it's full
right now the cart is only picking up a little lava and dropping off a little lava every trip
you can also do the same with the unloader.. wait until empty

MavericK96

Jul 29, 2019

Yeah, using a liquid transposer with a lava pump and an ender chest constantly cycling lava buckets using filters seems like the easiest and cheapest method for doing this. Filled up my 2,000-bucket Railcraft tank with lava in no time.

You can even use magmatic engines to keep it all running indefinitely.

jkerr

Jul 29, 2019
You have to right click the loader.. and click wait until full so the cart stays until it's full
right now the cart is only picking up a little lava and dropping off a little lava every trip
you can also do the same with the unloader.. wait until empty
What I meant is that it doesn't seem to spend any time at all in the nether, either the nether isn't really loaded or as soon as it gets there it comes back with 0 lava... Either a problem with keeping the nether loaded or maybe a track problem? it's on a multiplayer server...

jkerr

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, tried it in a single player world and it worked, so I think it's something with the multiplayer server (i'm hosting it) not keeping the nether loaded with the world anchor I placed there...

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
Use mystcraft portals. Tank Carts can pass to and from portals and bring you lava. Use them on three geothermals and have each one hooked up to it's own batbox. Have two batboxes connected to a middle one which will be your power output. This kept, for me, a mass fabricator, 8 advanced engines, 6 recyclers and two electrical engines easily powered and can probably do more.

eculc

Jul 29, 2019
Use mystcraft portals. Tank Carts can pass to and from portals and bring you lava. Use them on three geothermals and have each one hooked up to it's own batbox. Have two batboxes connected to a middle one which will be your power output. This kept, for me, a mass fabricator, 8 advanced engines, 6 recyclers and two electrical engines easily powered and can probably do more.
On my server, We've been running pretty much our entire energy net off of geothermal draining the nether - It's definitely scalable, all we needed was a few more tank carts running through the loop to carry lava through faster.

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
You don't have to even use mystcraft portals, normal portals work OK, but you must make sure that a cart is in overworld/nether for more than 45 s.

Wabbit

Jul 29, 2019
You don't have to even use mystcraft portals, normal portals work OK, but you must make sure that a cart is in overworld/nether for more than 45 s.
Mystcraft Portals would work better as you can decide on it's destination down to the co-ordinates, meaning you can slap tankcarts directly onto boarding rails which can be attached to a loader or unloader. As far as I'm aware, Nether Portals aren't that sophisticated.

Antivyris

Jul 29, 2019
And if you have Gregtech active capsules get expensive fairly quick (although using a powered liquid transposer in place of a bottler on both ends would help relieve that, but then it wouldn't be as simple)
I disagree, a liquid transposer would be easier. Then you can place the magmatic engine and transposer adjacent to the pump and the liquid transfer is instant.

If you are playing SSP, then this really cuts down on lag because there are no flowing liquid calculations to worry about in the nether.

Liquiducts resolve this quickly, and move twice as much to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.