Problem Generating world on a old vanilla map

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

totte1015

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, so a serverowner just had an old Minecraft Vanilla map, which he converted into FTB and just let it go.

I know that the new world gen wont generate new ores into the discovered area of the old map part. Right?

Okay, so is there any way to make NEW generate world work UNDER the area we already generated during the OLD world?

So we do not have to reset the map, but yet still get new ores "under" our houses?

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
Edit: Please read Mark3430's post first.

You could create a Mystcraft age and mine there.

Editing made: Removed a lot of suggestions in favor of Mark3430's.

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of mods have a retro gen option somewhere in the config, or you can do custom ore gen through Thermal Expansion if you use it and make sure each ore has "regen" as true in the file.

Reactions: lavarthan

lavarthan

Jul 29, 2019
I did not know that. Thank you Mark3430. I knew that TE had the ability for custom ore generation, but not that. After looking in the configs I think I found the one you want to set.

The option is in the '\minecraft\config\cofh\World.cfg'
# This will retroactively generate ores in previously generated chunks.
B:RetroactiveOreGeneration=true

Edit: One question though. Is it safe to leave on? In other words. Do you need to set this to false after you open your world? Or does it automatically change back to false? Or know which chunks it updated? Thanks again Mark3430.

Mark3430

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if that just does TE ones or not. I use full custom gen for almost all ores on my world after a friend showed me how to do it, and it effectively does all the mod ones, may have to add the other mods' ores to the World.cfg in the same format as the rest for it to affect them, not too sure there.

Edit: I'm not really sure, I've left it on until all old chunks were visited (a few days) before when I added a mod and nothing bad happened (no ore in the middle of bases or anything that I saw), after all chunks have the new ore(s) though I turn it off. Can't really see any harm in it as it seems to track the chunks in some way. But I can't be sure, and now the retrogen is true on all ores in my custom gen file since I moved to it so this option might be null for me now anyway (haven't had to use it since and no ill-effects).

Edit 2: Also my experience with that particular setting was without auto-restarts and just a couple people kinda moving about. It may auto reset to false on restart, I can test this later today and edit this portion of my post. It seems to go through all chunks on startup (didn't know that it did with that option :/) so you won't have to visit them all. Stays on with restarts too, given my more thorough experience with custom generation and retrogen for it being true at all times, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to leave it on but if you want to be sure you can turn it off.