Genepool overflow

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Matt Calder

Jul 29, 2019
I have a bit of a problem. I have apiaries that send extra drones to a chest that then in turn is pumped, using a wooden transport pipe and autarchic gate and then an iron transport then into the genepool. However when the genepool is full and the bees are being pumped, instead of the iron pipe stopping the bees from flowing in, the bees continue and then just pop out onto the floor. Does anyone have some suggestions on how I can manage this overflow?

Reactions: MigukNamja

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
There are a few options, depending on the pack you're using.

If you are on 1.5.2, you could use the insertion pipe, which will attempt to put the bees into the genepool, but, if there's no room, it'll just carry on along the pipe. The apiarist pipe can do something similar, it prioritizes the most specific criteria (i.e. it'll satisfy the need for a specific active/incative, then one defined, one wild, then any bee, then anything). Diamond pipes will also fallback on a connected, but blank slot if the item can't be sent down the preferred route. You could also put the bees into an apiarists chest, with a hopper underneath.

If you're wanting something with a little more logic, I think it was cpw who added the "single pulse" to the autarchic gate for this exact reason.

Matt Calder

Jul 29, 2019
There are a few options, depending on the pack you're using.

If you are on 1.5.2, you could use the insertion pipe, which will attempt to put the bees into the genepool, but, if there's no room, it'll just carry on along the pipe. The apiarist pipe can do something similar, it prioritizes the most specific criteria (i.e. it'll satisfy the need for a specific active/incative, then one defined, one wild, then any bee, then anything). Diamond pipes will also fallback on a connected, but blank slot if the item can't be sent down the preferred route. You could also put the bees into an apiarists chest, with a hopper underneath.

If you're wanting something with a little more logic, I think it was cpw who added the "single pulse" to the autarchic gate for this exact reason.
With the single pulse on the gate how exactly would I set that up?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
With the single pulse on the gate how exactly would I set that up?

Could do something as simple as attaching the autarchic to a buffer-inventory (chest, etc.), and having an iron gate on the genepool to activate the signal if there are no bees, or similar. This was more of an "if you really want to" suggestion. The original intention for it was for when you have a bee storage thing (can't remember the name of the block off the top of my head) and want to go through all of the bees.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I have mine being fed using a chest, and the chest is connected to the genepool with a vanilla hopper. I use an insertion pipe with the chest, and have a void pipe attached to the back of the insertion pipe.. That way when the chest is full of drones, the extras just get voided. I will be attaching a couple recyclers instead of the void pipe in the future, but i don't have that set up yet.

If you use an apiarist pipe on the chest, set the chest direction to be drones, then the void pipe direction to be "any". Just make sure that only drones can be in the pipe, as you don't want to accidentally void anything else.

JPicasso

Jul 29, 2019
insertion pipe + void pipe is probably the best and easiest answer,
another option would be to inoculate all your production bees with low fertility and not have any extra drones produced in the first place. Takes longer, sure, but saves the hassle.
(you're chewing them up with a gene pool, I'm assuming you've got the bee DNA stuff up and running.)

Reactions: PhilHibbs

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
insertion pipe + void pipe is probably the best and easiest answer,
another option would be to inoculate all your production bees with low fertility and not have any extra drones produced in the first place. Takes longer, sure, but saves the hassle.
(you're chewing them up with a gene pool, I'm assuming you've got the bee DNA stuff up and running.)

The easiest answer is make a small AE build, it costs a bit extra but it does EXACTLY what I want it to do and no "Uh maybe it will go down this pipe?" that I get with other pipes. personally I'd say it's easier since your AE system can hold a backup of anything you need it too and dont need to fiddle with anything else. Example...

I am using buildcraft for the bees to actually go into the AE system because apiarist pipes work wonders for that and isn't that complicated, tho it all gets put into the same AE network then dumped when too full into my main AE system which then processes them. I've yet to reach the max with the buildcraft tank I have since it's steel and I've been selectively breeding my bees but for the frames it's all in one AE system to always keep it fed. With it dumping into the AE system there's never an overflow situation so it works because if I have any issues my AE system is automatically set up to dump the extras into a recycler if the tanks fill with dna completely. I had that problem on 1.4.7 but was a bit wet behind the ears with bees so I just kept making tanks, xycraft was in that DW20 pack so I just made tons of tanks and ended up with like 12 max tanks. Then again I had tons of overflow there from redpower's system.. man I love AE so much... no overflow, no problems, all love...

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the places you used to use a wooden pipe for a short item pumping connection you can use a vanilla hopper instead. They're great. :) I tend to keep all my drones in AE and then dump full stacks every so often when I'm sure I won't need the drones for another project. Fuzzy export bus to a diamond chest on top of a vanilla hoppper works fine. Another reason I tend to wait until I have full stacks is I noticed it seems to take the same amount of honey to analyze an entire stack of bees as it does to analyze just one bee.

Reactions: Zealstarwind

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Most of the places you used to use a wooden pipe for a short item pumping connection you can use a vanilla hopper instead. They're great. :) I tend to keep all my drones in AE and then dump full stacks every so often when I'm sure I won't need the drones for another project. Fuzzy export bus to a diamond chest on top of a vanilla hoppper works fine. Another reason I tend to wait until I have full stacks is I noticed it seems to take the same amount of honey to analyze an entire stack of bees as it does to analyze just one bee.

I noticed that too, expect a nerf coming soon ;p But seriously, AE is the BEST bet for sorting, routing, processing, you name it, it can do it..
Harvesting pumpkins and melons? Easy as pie with transition planes!
Find your pipes keep spitting out things? I don't I use import/export buses!
See how slow other piping systems process from a quarry? I can't, it's all data and it's all handled by one enderchest and an import bus, dont tell my gal about the other 9 quarries on the same system or she'll start drawing up plans to kill me for the insurance money!
Have storage issues? Nah, ME Drives..
Find yourself having too much lag due to the items having to get rendered? Pffft.. lights is all I sees...

It Slices, It Dices, It Processes, It Plants, It Harvests, It takes your gal on a date then like a gentleman calls her the next day to see how it went.

Reactions: Hydra

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, more and more often I'm spinning off small, specialized AE systems. I did one for tree breeding, I've got another for bees, and a 3rd for mystcraft pages, a 4th for processing t5 skeleton farm output, etc. It is easier to make separate systems with a handful 1k/4k drives for these lots of different items, not many of each item projects than it is to try to keep all of it in one system efficiently via formatting and prioritization.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I do hate to say this but DW kinda turned me onto the small builds... In one of his, "Lets not do this with computer craft" moments and it turned out to be a better episode then all the rest. I would say that with all the work put into all these different systems I do like there's at least one mod that is looking at EVERY OTHER mod and saying, "I'd like mine to work here.." when other modders seem more inclined to keep their mod only working for them. AE, yoose my sexiest and bestest friend... *winks*

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, more and more often I'm spinning off small, specialized AE systems. I did one for tree breeding, I've got another for bees, and a 3rd for mystcraft pages, a 4th for processing t5 skeleton farm output, etc. It is easier to make separate systems with a handful 1k/4k drives for these lots of different items, not many of each item projects than it is to try to keep all of it in one system efficiently via formatting and prioritization.

I personally don't drop that stuff into my AE system at all; I just pipe drones into a chest that sits on top of a hopper that feeds into my genepool. I use an insertion pipe that leads on to a void pipe in case I produce more drones than the genepool can handle.

I do this for most of the stuff that can give me 'unlimited' items: I play on a server and want to make sure that no matter how long I stay away, it will never start to spill into the world. That's why all my farm / bee / quarry products have Deep Storage Units into which stuff is inserted through basic buildcraft pipes. They're all attached to my AE network through storage busses. Has the additional benefit that the insertions don't cost any energy that way.

Reactions: Staxed

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
he np, I was trying to figure out uses for that transition plane for the longest time..

Also I play singleplayer but I can easily set up a system that drops any excess into a DSU from the AE system if it gets too full. Then again I also dont need to but it's much easier doing it that way as NOTHING will spill out anywhere unless someone breaks your system while you're gone.

Reactions: Hydra

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to do multiple things just to see if I can so I'm sure I'll have more ideas popping up in the future 8)

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
This is the old school way I used to do it before insertion pipes and before Binnie fixed the "piping stuff into extra bees machines went into an empty void". :D

Matt Calder

Jul 29, 2019
Okay so I ended up setting up a small AE system that works so fantastically. Really I wish I had known about this before, I did need to read up a bit to understand it but it was definitely worth it.