[GAME THREAD] A lover's game [Over]

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013
And that is game!

Bigd was lynched, which means that Erin bit the dust as well!
Grace Smites don't matter now.

Since there are only three pairs left, and Erin was Nojr and Vike's nemesis...

Nojr and Vike have won!
The rest lost.

Scottly318 and Shazam08 had to kill Pyure
RealKC and Fowltief had to kill Someone Else 37
Erindalc and Bigdbigd03 had to kill Pyure And yes, I did not smite Bigdbigd D1. I am a merciful god.
Someone Else 37 and Pyure had to kill RealKC
Vikestep and Nojr had to kill Erindalc
Profrags and RJS had to kill Bigdbigd

Pyure and SE were extremely lucky. They were actually saved by RNG.

The most important conclusion I drew from this game, is that it should be played with way more people.

P

profrags

Nobody needed me and RJS dead! Why would you guys even lay a finger on us :(

Reactions: RealKC

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Were I to run this game in the future, I'd probably change the win condition to "game ends when the nemeses of all living couples are dead". Seems more elegant to me than "game ends when there are three pairs remaining", and would prevent the situation that happened at the end of this game, where most of the people who are alive lose because their nemeses are alive as well, and so if the game were to go on another day and another team was lynched (either Real's or my own, in this case), there would have been more winners.

Also, a way to get more information would help. Most of the lynches (so far as I am aware, at least) were almost entirely random, and the only way to determine with any confidence at all who's partnered with who was to scan them. The game only lasted two full days, and since each team got two scans per night, they could at most determine the makeup of four other couples- and that's only if they both scan two people each night and never happen to target two partners on the same team... which clearly didn't happen this game.

Somehow encouraging people to post more on the thread and more openly associate themselves with their partners would be helpful, as well as boosting the power of scans. Perhaps there's only one scan per team per night, but it returns the scanned person's partner, their nemesis, and the nemesis's partner? You'd have to forbid scanning your on team in that case, but it would at least return two couples 100% of the time, even if one teammate forgets to scan one day.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Were I to run this game in the future, I'd probably change the win condition to "game ends when the nemeses of all living couples are dead". Seems more elegant to me than "game ends when there are three pairs remaining", and would prevent the situation that happened at the end of this game, where most of the people who are alive lose because their nemeses are alive as well, and so if the game were to go on another day and another team was lynched (either Real's or my own, in this case), there would have been more winners.

Also, a way to get more information would help. Most of the lynches (so far as I am aware, at least) were almost entirely random, and the only way to determine with any confidence at all who's partnered with who was to scan them. The game only lasted two full days, and since each team got two scans per night, they could at most determine the makeup of four other couples- and that's only if they both scan two people each night and never happen to target two partners on the same team... which clearly didn't happen this game.

Somehow encouraging people to post more on the thread and more openly associate themselves with their partners would be helpful, as well as boosting the power of scans. Perhaps there's only one scan per team per night, but it returns the scanned person's partner, their nemesis, and the nemesis's partner? You'd have to forbid scanning your on team in that case, but it would at least return two couples 100% of the time, even if one teammate forgets to scan one day.
You can't have a game without "bad guys". People talk because there's such a thing as an "accusation".

If everyone is everyone's enemy, nobody's a bad guy, and there's nothing to accuse anyone of. Nothing to talk about.

Reactions: Robijnvogel

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
You can't have a game without "bad guys". People talk because there's such a thing as an "accusation".

If everyone is everyone's enemy, nobody's a bad guy, and there's nothing to accuse anyone of. Nothing to talk about.
And therein lies the problem with this sort of game. Encouraging discussion in this sort of situation would be... difficult, if it's possible at all. Fighting against human nature is, after all, futile.

Encouraging people to reveal who they're paired with would be easier, though. Requiring teams to vote together (or at least temporarily vote for the same person) would do it. Proposed wording:
"Each day, one partner in each pair and two in each threesome must place a vote on a player that one of their teammates voted for that day. None of the relevant votes need be those players' final votes of the day."

On a slightly different note, I wonder how this sort of game might work with RJS's vengeant lovers. You win if your whole team lives to the end of the game, or if one member of your team outlives the player who led the other's lynch. Hm.

I suppose that this game would take twice as long as Robijn's version, as only one person would be dying every day. As this game took all of three days, that's probably not really a bad thing.

Robijnvogel

May 8, 2013

I'd disagree, but I observed this as well, so I'm afraid you're right. :/

By the way, Nojr and Vike sorta deserved the win Imo.
They (mostly Nojr) were by far the most active couple.

Reactions: Pyure and 016Nojr

Bigdbigd03

Jul 29, 2019
I like the concept, but without said "Bad Guys," the game did get boring. Maybe take the neutral role out and make s wolf and town lovers. Pairing randomly would be quite fun. I'm in love with a wolf. Ooh!