Fully automating an Arcane Bore?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You know what I hate about most automatic mining systems? That I can't use Silk Touch or Fortune enchantments in them, and that some of the fastest create giant holes in the landscape. On the other hand, the Arcane Bore goes through tools way too fast and is extremely complicated to fully automate. Still, I've got an idea... I wonder if this might work (inspired by DW20's "UberMiner"):

Make a standard setup for the Arcane Bore at the level you want to mine. Use a Wand Focus with Treasure III (=Fortune) and Potency III (mines an 11x11 area). Set up a ComputerCraft computer to detect its state (possible with Thaumic Tinkerer's Computercraft Peripherals) and control two Autonomous Activators with cheap Thaumcraft wands in them. Enchant a number of pickaxes with Efficiency V and Repair II, enough of them that the first one has repaired itself when the Bore uses up the last one, and set itemducts to pull them out and in. Once the computer detects the Bore has stopped working, let the Autonomous Activator 1 hit it with the wand twice to point it in another direction, 90 degrees from the first. Let it mine for a minute or so, then use AA 2 to point it in the original direction and activate a redstone signal that lets a Force Manipulator move the whole setup by 11 blocks to the side (i.e. in the direction where you just mined away a short corridor to make space for the platform) and mine away in the original direction. Repeat ad infinitum.

Also, you'll need a Tesseract on the platform for the energy transfer and a small alchemical setup dedicated to producing Perditio essence, fed with items and fuel through the Tesseract (I suppose Essentia Mirrors would have problems with a moving platform).

This should mine out a 71-block-wide, 11-block high "corridor" at the level where you set up the bore.

I only have one problem: how to deal with lava. As long as I don't have the slightest idea for a solution, this is a failed concept. I'm looking for ideas. As a first step, I don't actually mind having to deal with lava situations manually, the problem is automatic detection of a possible problem. If the whole setup destroys itself, it won't be much fun...

Edit:
Having written this has got me an idea....MFFS has the Sponge module.....

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Which modpack?

If you have RotaryCraft, the Boring Machine can be enchanted with Silk Touch and Efficiency, probably with Fortune too, although I cannot say for sure.
It ignores lava and other liquids
It lets you determine the "shape" of the bored hole via gui
It runs reasonably fast
It can run forever since it runs horizontally rather than vertically.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Which modpack?

If you have RotaryCraft, the Boring Machine can be enchanted with Silk Touch and Efficiency, probably with Fortune too, although I cannot say for sure.
It ignores lava and other liquids
It lets you determine the "shape" of the bored hole via gui
It runs reasonably fast
It can run forever since it runs horizontally rather than vertically.
I think it can do fortune, but I'd prefer Silk touch because of two reasons.
One: Extractor(Obviously)
Two: I've seen the boring machine drop xp balls in the past, and we all know what happens when there's too many of those.

Reactions: Padfoote

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
This is the DW20 modpack which doesn't have RotaryCraft, so there are two other possibilities: I can try to use an Iridium drill which has Fortune III built-in with the IC2 standard Miner. I don't know if that would work and getting there takes some time. Or the Arcane Bore, of which I know that it can use enchantments. it can also use Silk Touch, but that must be on the Pickaxe, while Treasure/Fortune is on the Wand. For my concept, that would mean several more enchantments if I were to use Silk Touch.

Wursti

Jul 29, 2019
Use Transition Planes from AE to mine and MFFS to move.
You only need a power tesseract for the ME controller and the MFFS machines, and a storage bus applied to an enderchest. Its lava - proof and pretty straight - forward.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Use Transition Planes from AE to mine and MFFS to move.
You only need a power tesseract for the ME controller and the MFFS machines, and a storage bus applied to an enderchest. Its lava - proof and pretty straight - forward.
I didn't know about that machine, but I was about to explore AE next anyway. Thank you for this suggestion, it appears perfect.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Get a flux-infused pickaxe from TE3, enchant it how you want, and set up an auto-recharging system using ender chests/tesseracts.
Then set up an automatic perditio and lux alchemical furnace system, and use essentia mirrors to make it easier.
I believe that the bore, the transfer system for charging the pick, and the mirror could all be mounted on a platform that could then be teleported in medium-long bursts every so often via MFFS; that's the only downside, that you have to manually teleport the platform every, oh, couple MC weeks.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm....does the bore accept flux-infused pickaxes? I already tried energy-based Tinker's Construct tools, and I couldn't put them into the bore...

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Imnafoy

Jul 29, 2019
Im using thaumic restorator... or what is it called... its that block from thaumic tinkerer which can repair things... to repair silktouch enchanted pickaxe of core. Via computercraft it is possible to check both state of pickaxe in bore and state of pickaxe in restorator( just check level of perdito aspect which is indicator of how much is tool repaired) and both turtles are interacting through enderchest ( restorator is in base)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Wursti:
Unfortunately, the ME Transition Plane doesn't work as intended since it doesn't just suck the block in, it breaks it, just like a unenchanted pickaxe.

@Imnafoy:
I would like to do that, but it appears I can't unlock the Thaumic Restorer. According to the cheat sheet, only Infusion and Essentia Tubes are required, and I've researched way more of TC and most of what I can reach of TT as well, which isn't all that much. Is there anything I must do?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Got the Thaumic Restorer unlocked at last. The required research is "Essentia Funnel". I'll try the modified setup.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The thing is, I started thinking about the complicated matter of automating an Arcane Bore because I dislike missing out on valuable gems because most automatic mining systems can't use Fortune/Silk Touch enchantments. Also, with Ars Magica, Thaumcraft and Tinker's Construct manual mining is super-effective. Mostly I feel the standard automatic systems are only good for bulk mining and only get you enough of the rarer things because they're so fast. Not efficient. And that's not even considering the damage to the world done by things like Direwolf20's "UberMiner".