Fully automatic power system with Thermal Expansion engines

McGreed

Jul 29, 2019
So I have created something of an automatic power station setup, which automatically recharge the cells when they run out of power. Any input or questions are appreciative.
The main focus of my setup here, is the redstone setup, which controls the engines and when they are suppose to run.

This is the front of my current setup, where you can see the engines (which isn't that important, as the wires controlling them), and the levers which controls them, plus the Cell wall, which contains the power generated. I also made a little cell recharge station, where you can drop down your cells your use elsewhere and want to transport.
2014-03-29_151737_zpsa8504f5c.jpg

2014-03-29_151748_zps0d6dc850.jpg

Now to explain how it works. The cells are arranged so all power will drain from top left to bottom right. When the bottom right cell is almost empty, the redstone behind it will detect it and active the engines to recharge the cells. When the top left cell gets power, the engines will be turned off and won't start until the power runs out again.
The engines can be enabled and disabled with the levers, so as long some engines are enabled, the cells will always get recharged when needed.
There is also two buttons, the stone button will stop the recharging before it's complete and won't start again until power is running out. The wood button will kickstart the recharging before power runs out, useful if for some reason cells wasn't recharged fully, or recharge got interrupted, and you don't want to wait for it to recharge when power is running out.

Here is some behind the screen pictures of the setup.
There is a Comparator up against the lower left and upper right cells, which detects the power level in the cells. When they detect that the cell contains power, it will send a redstone input.
There is a RS latch which will decide if the engines should be activated.
The black cable will be activated if recharging is needed.

2014-03-29_151800_zpsdd895d62.jpg

2014-03-29_151814_zps56b9048b.jpg

2014-03-30_201729_zpsae552186.jpg

This is the cables which is connected to the levers on the other side, which decides which engines should run, if the power runs out. There is an AND gate on each of them, so unless 1. lever is active and 2. the input from the black cable is active, the engines will only run if both of them is active.

2014-03-29_151810_zpsb01d981f.jpg

So the cable bundle contains all the signals from the levers, which activates the engines. I'm currently just using a mix of lava and fuel engines from Thermal Expansion, as they were the easiest to work with, without anything blowing up.

2014-03-29_151826_zps7ef86125.jpg

Now if you like me have been using different machines, you discover a problem with automatic charging, and that is idle draining machines. Some machines drains power even when they are not running, a good example is the Rolling Machine from Railcraft. If you have this connected to your system, it will drain and recharge your cells until you run out of fuel. ;)

So my recommendation is to power those machines with a separate cell, and recharge it using the charging station, this way you only use the power in that cell if you forget to disable/turn off the draining machines.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Quite a nice and elegant system I must say
I actually like the idea of engines only being used when needed, and will have to make a system like this one in my world when I get to it

McGreed

Jul 29, 2019
In the beginning the idea was actually not about making them run economic, but run safely. Because one of the things that could make engines explode, was that the power couldn't go anywhere. When a quarry was finished or batteries, the power would just build up and blow stuff. This should make sure they don't.
But yeah, I made it so that the engines go on and off all the time, because it would waste power, since engines needs to warm up first. So if they just started every times there is missing energy at all, it would waste fuel on starting up. You can always put the power check to an earlier Cell, if you want to make sure it starts engines before you run out.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Going to do something very similar with a computercraft program I'm writing. Instead of shutting down the engines I'm going to turn on a MFR mining laser to draw out the surplus of power and stop again at a certain %. W

What are you using for fuel? I've been trying out a cake powered base. Gives me 128000RF at 240/t so I can condense my power generation by a factor of 3. Part of why I want computers, so I can shutdown the cyclic assembler making cakes when one of the three supplies runs low (usually eggs).

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Going to do something very similar with a computercraft program I'm writing. Instead of shutting down the engines I'm going to turn on a MFR mining laser to draw out the surplus of power and stop again at a certain %. W

What are you using for fuel? I've been trying out a cake powered base. Gives me 128000RF at 240/t so I can condense my power generation by a factor of 3. Part of why I want computers, so I can shutdown the cyclic assembler making cakes when one of the three supplies runs low (usually eggs).

This is an interesting idea, what are you using to get such a condensed power output? (Sounds like you're using a single block for this)

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
This is an interesting idea, what are you using to get such a condensed power output? (Sounds like you're using a single block for this)

I think you misunderstand what I meant. Standard dynamos will only output 80rf/t. Culinary generators will output 240rf/t with a cake (less with anything else as fuel). This means in a fixed amount of space, I can get out 3 times more power.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I think you misunderstand what I meant. Standard dynamos will only output 80rf/t. Culinary generators will output 240rf/t with a cake (less with anything else as fuel). This means in a fixed amount of space, I can get out 3 times more power.
I didn't misunderstand in the slightest, that was exactly what I was asking :p
Culinary generators I shall have to investigate these..

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't misunderstand in the slightest, that was exactly what I was asking :p
Culinary generators I shall have to investigate these..

Yes time it operates and the rate at which it outputs are directly correlated to its saturation and food value. Cake being actually several pieces of food it is sortve like a high density food. Havent found anything more powerful yet, but its been interesting to automate the production of it. Definitely needed MFR for milk, though I think turtles could maybe do it faster and for 0 energy if I wanted to inhumanely pen a cow.

Edit: Also when the system overflows with sugar (as it tends to right now) that overflow goes to two pairs of coke ovens that turn the sugar into sugar charcoal then to sugar coke. I can then turn the sugar coke into coal coke at a 8:1 ratio, but its more energy efficient to leave it as sugar coke (as of last testing). I will probably take even more sugar and the creosote and run them both to a reactant dynamo or two. Might even take out my sludge boilers and run the sludge into reactant dynamos with the extra extra sugar to increase my power output rather than reducing it.

McGreed

Jul 29, 2019

I have currently just setup the right side with 4x2 engines that runs on fuel, and 4x2 engines that run on lava, both from Thermal Expansion. I was thinking that I would have something else on the left, so I got access to different kinds of fuels and not just on one. I know that Oil is finity, but I kinda like go hunting for it and fill my tanks. ;)
I might make a bio fuel engine, or maybe steam engines next.

I did have an issue with the tanks, every times I make a full size one, 9x9, I always lose the content at some point. I never have that issue with 7x9. Ever experienced anything like that?

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I have currently just setup the right side with 4x2 engines that runs on fuel, and 4x2 engines that run on lava, both from Thermal Expansion. I was thinking that I would have something else on the left, so I got access to different kinds of fuels and not just on one. I know that Oil is finity, but I kinda like go hunting for it and fill my tanks. ;)
I might make a bio fuel engine, or maybe steam engines next.

I did have an issue with the tanks, every times I make a full size one, 9x9, I always lose the content at some point. I never have that issue with 7x9. Ever experienced anything like that?

Are you talking about railcraft tanks? Steel or iron? What version of your pack (or mods if its custom) are you using. Are there any kinds of light producing blocks like factorization wrath lamps or TC4 lamps?

McGreed

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's the steel tanks from railcraft and I'm on a Monster Pack server 1.1.0, and I got no special lamps like those, only torches and the lamps from Railcraft. I tried to remove the tank completely, and then rebuild it, and then tested it with some water, and it started to fill up, I left and came back, and it was empty again. Then I scaled the tank down to 7x9 (9 is the height) and I haven't had any issues since.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, it's the steel tanks from railcraft and I'm on a Monster Pack server 1.1.0, and I got no special lamps like those, only torches and the lamps from Railcraft. I tried to remove the tank completely, and then rebuild it, and then tested it with some water, and it started to fill up, I left and came back, and it was empty again. Then I scaled the tank down to 7x9 (9 is the height) and I haven't had any issues since.

Chunk boundaries?
If it's across or next to a chunk boundary it can do funky things

McGreed

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, it's actually split already in one direction, however when I made it into 9x9, it does go into another chunk, so its actually split into four chunks, so I guess that would explain it...darn, don't have much room... Well, go NO room unless I move them somewhere else.