FTBLauncher 1.4.13 causes unplayable FPS lag

• Tech Support section is for getting help with FTB related problems. If there's a repeatable issue that can be labeled as a bug, then please use the issue tracker for the pack or the app at GitHub issue trackers - If there's no repository for a pack that means that the pack is old and/or will not be updated. Bugs for older packs will not be fixed, unless they are critical.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Title FTBLauncher 1.4.13 causes unplayable FPS lag

Launcher Type FTB Launcher

Modpack FTB Infinity Lite (other packs not tested)

Modpack version 1.6.0

Have you modified the pack? Yes

Link to log file IC2 1.6.166 and MPM 1.10.2

Details of the issue The launcher update this morning to #13 seems to basically render minecraft completely unplayable. Something in the changed code causes it to run at a peak of 10 FPS, standing still with the lowest possible settings and FBO disabled, any movement results in it dropping to 1 or 0 until you stop and wait.

F3's pie suggested it was texture ticks taking all the frame time, but this is meaningless if the latency was outside the pie (pie doesn't say the actual time, just a percentage). Forge's /debug profiling didn't seem to show anything.

The only way I got minecraft to run correctly again was to use the "linux" (.jar) version of the launcher which is still on 1.4.12. So it's definitely related to the launcher...

edit; the memory usage is also different between the versions, in #12 windows only reports 1.8GB as being in-use by mc, the rest is standby. However in #13 5+GB is reported as in-use, what mc uses between the two internally is the same (1.8GB) but externally it's being used differently.
What arguments were added or removed between the versions...?

note; 4GB is set as allocated and anything more is likely cached textures in the driver handle.

Last edited:

jikuja

legacy FTB Launcher developer
Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Can you try it with console window closed? Also while trying try --disable-mc-logging as launcher's argument.

.13 has only cosmetic fixes for pack install and pack startup code. Only performance related change is major fix with console but it should decrease memory usage.

edit:
What arguments were added or removed between the versions...?

Answer:

-Duser.language=en to fix problems wth turkish environment

and

environment variable __COMPAT_LAYER with content "WIN8RTM" as possible fix for intel GPU problems

P

Potentetes

I've been having the exact same problem. I have tested this with most mod packs and it seems to bee the launcher. I tried allocating more ram and adding the --disable-mc-logging as an argument but all I get is a fatal java error "Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine. Error: A fatal exception has occurred Program will exit." Do you have any other suggestions or ways to downgrade the version?

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
--disable-mc-logging is argument for launcher, not for MC.

R

Raptor_Fin

I have the same problem. I updated ftb launcher from 1.4.12 to 1.4.13 and my fps dropped from 40-50fps to under 20fps. What should i do to fix this problem?

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Can you try it with console window closed? Also while trying try --disable-mc-logging as launcher's argument.

Doing this has no effect whatsoever, game still runs at 1fps...

environment variable __COMPAT_LAYER with content "WIN8RTM" as possible fix for intel GPU problems

Chances are this argument is disabling all java VM enhanced ops (SSE, vector, etc instructions) and dynamic memory, forcing it to allocate the memory permanently and using 30+ times as much CPU time for the same tasks.
Win 8 RTM wasn't even a released windows version so I have no idea why you're using it, it was purely a development version using debug code, not even I got to touch it...

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
so I have no idea why you're using it
WIN8RTM is used by Windows. OS sets it if you configure application to run with windows 8 compatibility mode:

v6uQ32T.png
&
KsKzBZW.png

Intention was make GetVersionEx() call to return a value for windows 8, not for windows 10.

Win 8 RTM wasn't even a released windows version so I have no idea why you're using it, it was purely a development version using debug code, not even I got to touch it...

I thought that RTM is the Release version which is send To Manufacturers. Do you have any source?

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
I thought that RTM is the Release version which is send To Manufacturers. Do you have any source?

RTM is a custom managed release that's only released to hardware manufacturers for driver compatibility, it's not a version that's meant to be released to the public and in many cases would be almost completely unusable without constantly using CLI.

Intention was make GetVersionEx() call to return a value for windows 8, not for windows 10.

What for exactly? can you link me specific cases where this is needed?

Y

Yakujira

Did that fix the problem? If not i feel like im lost till the next update or bugfix if even a pretty damn tech-savvy guy like you can't get a work around done.

i tried finding older versions of the launcher but to no avail. or i might just be too stupid. In any case, i might get my hands on an older version of it trough my roommates pc. If there truly are no convenient ways to download it or downgrade easily i can also upload it.

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Did that fix the problem? If not i feel like im lost till the next update or bugfix if even a pretty damn tech-savvy guy like you can't get a work around done.

i tried finding older versions of the launcher but to no avail. or i might just be too stupid. In any case, i might get my hands on an older version of it trough my roommates pc. If there truly are no convenient ways to download it or downgrade easily i can also upload it.

There's no known fix until we can confirm what it is specifically, so the only option for us is to stick with 1.4.12. If you download the linux version of the launcher that may still be on said version, of which if your java path is set you can simply double-click it like it were an exe/application (or just set windows to launch the file with java if it asks you).

X

xerses

I have the same issue - thanks for the jar, that's fixed it for now. I'm using a Radeon R7 260x

Paul17041993

Mar 17, 2013
Australia
www.vectrobe.net
Finally got around to testing it and I can definitely confirm that setting java to run in win8 compatibility causes a 50+ times decrease in performance, the exact results differ slightly between doing it via the launcher (.13 vs .12) or doing it via windows directly but the end result is still a completely unplayable game. The specific reason why this occurs is possibly debug code inside windows and/or the drivers (any/all drivers, including software ones).

As for GPU in use; 290X. I will also note that I'm using win 10 pro with a lot of dev tools and it's a full-AMD system minus the intel LAN, audio runs through the AMD HDMI with a 3rd party APO.

Vypir

Jul 29, 2019
Having the same issues, Radeon R9 200 series. Rolling back to Launcher 1.14.12 corrected this issue for me. Thank you, Jikuja, for the link.

Vypir

Jul 29, 2019
Jikuja, tried the 1.4.14 It seems to be working way better than 1.4.13, but still a noticeable difference in framerate and overall graphic performance from 1.4.12.

X

xerses

Yep, also confirming that 1.4.14 is better than .13, but still considerably worse than .12 - anything we can do to help diagnose the problem? would new logs from .14 help?

jikuja

Launcher Developer
Global Moderator
Dec 17, 2013
Well, correct way to debug is to test which build created the issue. See https://ftb.cursecdn.com/FTB2/maven/net/ftb/FTB_Launcher/ for build. Problem happened somewhere between builds 1.4.12-388 and 1.4.13-408. Most obvious change was reverted with release of 1.4.14. With binary search it should be fast to find first broken build:

If any doubts how to test efficiently please visit FTB support channel in Curse server or in #FTB in espernet